Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #61

My RULE for the road is "Try not to ever have a wreck"...........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 07-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Yep, screw them. I am following the "rules of the road".

The situation I was describing is when the on ramp has a big triangle that says "YIELD". Most of our on ramps in PA have that. I have yet to see any signs along the highway for traffic already on the highway that says "Move to left lane for merging traffic" or "Slow down for merging traffic".

The absolute worst thing you can do if you're in the right lane at speed is slow down if the highway is busy. That's a good way to get rear ended.
Yield signs on ramps seem counter-intuitive to me. The entire point of the ramp is to gain speed so that you can merge smoothly into traffic. It seems like it would be really dangerous if you have to yield or even worse come to a dead stop at the end of a ramp and then try to merge in and build up to highway speeds. Not to mention holding up all the traffic behind you on the ramp.

Although reading through this thread it seems like the rules vary from state to state.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I've told my wife a hundred times, they should make merging onto an Intestate highway part of every driving test. If the applicant can't do it correctly, they fail the test.
Bob...

Back in the day (At least in Cali) it WAS part of the driving test. We had both a street and freeway portion of the test!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Hi Guys...

Am I the only one that experience zombies that don't look or fail to yield when coming up a ramp to enter the highway??

Then they continue to drive along side the RV until they run out of pavement??
Do they expect me to just stop on the highway for them or just swerve into the passing lane full of traffic?

Happened at least 5 time on the way back from Maine...

I have never seen anything so stupid in my life.
I know this will not apply to a lot of you but I just GOTTA share!

Driving home from picking up our Berk we saw this happen repeatedly!

And lemmie tell you, when you are piloting almost 60' of RV goodness down the highway, those Zombies are a threat to your sanity!

Then, about 200 miles into the drive, I got a bright idea...

I flipped the horn from Auto to AIR...

Next Zombie that tried to cut me off got a 3 sec shot of Freightliner Air Horn Goodness.

He yielded right of way

Memo to self: make sure you tell 6Actual, who was peacefully reading a book, "Zombie" before leaning on the horn
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 07-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #64
Senior Senior Member

Everyone on the highway had to merge at some point. I try to be a merge friendly guy but I have no answer for the knucklehead who comes down the ramp at 35 mph and just keeps going till the merge lane ends and then somehow thinks there will magically be a place for him. If I can, I will move over. I even will slow down to avoid an accident but sometimes it gets pretty dicey.
Bottom line..... no one really has the right of way.... it is everyone's duty to avoid a collision. If you tell the responding officer "screw them, I am following the rules of the road", you will likely not get the reply you think you are due.
At the very least, you will end up paying to fix your vehicle and the other driver theirs. Of course that is not so in a no-fault state like Michigan.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:46 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
...next Zombie that tried to cut me off got a 3 sec shot of Freightliner Air Horn Goodness.

He yielded right of way

Memo to self: make sure you tell 6Actual, who was peacefully reading a book, "Zombie" before leaning on the horn
Still contemplating air horns for my truck...

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Old 07-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Yield signs on ramps seem counter-intuitive to me. The entire point of the ramp is to gain speed so that you can merge smoothly into traffic. It seems like it would be really dangerous if you have to yield or even worse come to a dead stop at the end of a ramp and then try to merge in and build up to highway speeds. Not to mention holding up all the traffic behind you on the ramp.

Although reading through this thread it seems like the rules vary from state to state.

That's exactly what you are supposed to do unless they changed it since I took my driving test. If there is too much traffic for you to safely enter the highway without affecting the traffic at speed, you are supposed to come to a complete stop. On the ramp...not the highway. That is called Yielding hence the sign. What if the traffic is bumper to bumper doing 65mph? How do you merge into that? You don't, you stop and wait until it ends.

Now days they have ramps that turn into "merge" lanes. Typically they are much longer and are where the highway has 3 or more lanes. Here in PA a lot of them have both Yield and Merge signs. That means merge if possible but if for some reason you can't merge, yield to the traffic on the highway without affecting it.

In any case the person at speed on the highway has the right of way and legally does not need to do anything but maintain his speed in his current lane. The last thing any of it is designed to do is slow down or alter the flow of the traffic already on the highway such as making people change lanes, that's how pileups happen.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Everyone on the highway had to merge at some point. I try to be a merge friendly guy but I have no answer for the knucklehead who comes down the ramp at 35 mph and just keeps going till the merge lane ends and then somehow thinks there will magically be a place for him. If I can, I will move over. I even will slow down to avoid an accident but sometimes it gets pretty dicey.
Bottom line..... no one really has the right of way.... it is everyone's duty to avoid a collision. If you tell the responding officer "screw them, I am following the rules of the road", you will likely not get the reply you think you are due.
At the very least, you will end up paying to fix your vehicle and the other driver theirs. Of course that is not so in a no-fault state like Michigan.

I try to be friendly too. Move over a lane if possible. Leave a gap and maybe slow a little to let someone in. I just wish people would learn to accelerate on the ramp. Tough to merge onto a busy freeway going 35mph.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD and Beastlet View Post
Still contemplating air horns for my truck...
go to YouTube and google truck locomotive horn gag

Hilarious!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 07-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
That's exactly what you are supposed to do unless they changed it since I took my driving test. If there is too much traffic for you to safely enter the highway without affecting the traffic at speed, you are supposed to come to a complete stop. On the ramp...not the highway. That is called Yielding hence the sign. What if the traffic is bumper to bumper doing 65mph? How do you merge into that? You don't, you stop and wait until it ends.
It must be because of the differing laws in our home states but I was taught the exact opposite. I've always been told that the worst thing you can do is come to a dead stop on a ramp. The only time I've done that is in Chicago where the traffic is bumper-to-bumper and moving at a snail's pace. At that point you just pick a spot and slowing creep over into the lane. When the traffic is free flowing at 65+ I've never had a problem merging in.

Quote:
In any case the person at speed on the highway has the right of way and legally does not need to do anything but maintain his speed in his current lane. The last thing any of it is designed to do is slow down or alter the flow of the traffic already on the highway such as making people change lanes, that's how pileups happen.
As posted before, the laws vary by state. Here in Illinois, it's the responsibility of everyone involved, not just the person merging in. Which seems to me to be the most courteous and common sense solution.

And really when it comes down to it, I don't think anyone wants to be responsible for causing an accident just to prove a point because they aren't legally required to move.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Bob...

Back in the day (At least in Cali) it WAS part of the driving test. We had both a street and freeway portion of the test!

I know this will not apply to a lot of you but I just GOTTA share!

Driving home from picking up our Berk we saw this happen repeatedly!

And lemmie tell you, when you are piloting almost 60' of RV goodness down the highway, those Zombies are a threat to your sanity!

Then, about 200 miles into the drive, I got a bright idea...

I flipped the horn from Auto to AIR...

Next Zombie that tried to cut me off got a 3 sec shot of Freightliner Air Horn Goodness.

He yielded right of way

this is the main reason I swapped out the wimpy Mercedes Benz Sprinter horn for a custom made three horn system.

Murelene and I went to the local salvage yard looking for horns. We took a garden tractor battery equipped with test leads along for testing purposes. Our goal, find the loudest horns we could. Our choices were based on how many people would look to see what was going on when we lit one up so to speak.

I ended up getting a pair of horns from a mid 90's Cutlass Ciera and a high volume low tone horn from a late 90's Cadillac DeVille. I also grabbed the horn relay from the Deville. Although it isn't an air horn, We ended up with a horn system that would make any trucker proud. It is pushing 150 db at 10 feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunseeker horn setup.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	113768  
Old 07-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #71

Well I guess I should have yielded and not even commented on this thread.

I assume a yield sign is put there to only offer a suggestion or to keep the sign industry in business which sort of takes it back to the original post where people aren't paying any attention to the signs LOL.
I yield the conversation
Old 07-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
Well I guess I should have yielded and not even commented on this thread.

I assume a yield sign is put there to only offer a suggestion or to keep the sign industry in business which sort of takes it back to the original post where people aren't paying any attention to the signs LOL.
I yield the conversation
OP didn't say anything about yield signs. Besides, not all ramps have them.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #73
Mod free 5er

Quote:
You have got to be kidding me? Maintaining my speed, in my Lane on a limited access Highway ,instead of jamming my brakes on to let some Bozo in and taking the chance of a guy behind me rear ending me is entitlement?
I'll take a rear ending before being pushed into the side of an 18 wheeler on one side and an idiot on the other. If you watch entrance ramps, you have plenty of time to slow down without jamming on the brakes.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #74
Site Team

Quote:
You have got to be kidding me? Maintaining my speed, in my Lane on a limited access Highway ,instead of jamming my brakes on to let some Bozo in and taking the chance of a guy behind me rear ending me is entitlement?
There's a pretty big difference between letting off the accelerator a little and dropping a few MPH's to let somebody slide in and "jamming on your brakes".

All we are suggesting is the former.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
OP didn't say anything about yield signs. Besides, not all ramps have them.
One thing people seem to forget is that you are responsible for knowing and abiding by the traffic laws of the state you happen to be driving in. Most states have laws stating that merging traffic must yield. they also have laws that you are supposed to be doing the minimum speed before entering the traffic lane.

BTW, they do NOT have to post yield, stay right execpt to pass, trucks use right/right two lanes, etc in order for them to be enforced, and YES a Motor home, a SUV w/ trailer, a Pickup w/ 5er are all considered TRUCKS when it comes to traffic laws

But the truth is, this nation has be become a ME FIRST and ONLY society. Want to know who is to blame...the older generations for letting their kids turn out that way.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #76
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
My RULE for the road is "Try not to ever have a wreck"...........
X100!!!! you win the internet sir!!!
That is my goal everytime I roll out of the yard and if that means I slow a tad or change lanes then thats what I'm gonna do!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #77

Quote:
Call me one of the those that do that. I used to religiously move to the left (passing) lane when approaching an on ramp to let the merging traffic on. A few years ago I quit doing it. Anymore when you do that, about 90% of the time the person you just let on accelerates to pass you with the intent of getting in front of you at all costs. Now I stand my ground in that lane, and hold my speed. Screw em. They have the yield sign not I.
They deleted my last response to your post as I was just quoting the way you described yourself. As being one of those'P...s".
A little common courtesy to your fellow man would help out society more.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #78

Quote:

Now days they have ramps that turn into "merge" lanes. Typically they are much longer and are where the highway has 3 or more lanes. Here in PA a lot of them have both Yield and Merge signs. That means merge if possible but if for some reason you can't merge, yield to the traffic on the highway without affecting it.

MrHavercamp - I can't defend you this time. Go back and read post #24.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 07-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendive View Post
Anything can be hacked or broken into. Let me have your phone for 10 min and I can have access to anything I want.

I don't think you can get in, heck I would bet money on it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Cell carriers can track when you are actively using the network to talk or text, but not use apps. Police can access this data with a warrant. Most likely insurance cannot unless there is a police investigation.

Not with a iPhone, can't hack my phone. What cops want to do is use brute force to get in your phone but it won't work with my phone

I try to let people in on the interstate when I can but sometimes I can't, someone on my left. A lot of drivers don't know how to merge into traffic. When I'm merging into traffic I get up to the speed limit before I merge into traffic, I try to share the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Closed Thread