Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,732
Hocking Hills OH, Niagara Falls, Pinery Provence ON, Holland MI

Help me plan a trip!
Here is a google map rough draft--
Louisville, KY to Louisville, KY - Google Maps

I have 3 major stops but am looking for suggestions along the way,
route changes/suggestions and what to see at these stops.

Keep in mind (if it matters) we have no kids or pets.
We love to hike and bicycle and see lots of natural stuff.
An occasional botanical garden is good too.
We're not really looking for metropolitan museums and such but any
suggestion is welcome.
We will be pulling a 25' trailer. See my signature.

Hocking Hills Ohio, heard a lot about it, never been there.
Plan to camp here for a few days. 2-3-4??
No idea where to camp. Prefer state parks to KOAs.
Good Sam member if that matters.

Niagara Falls. Been there by car 15 years ago. Want to go back
by RV and stay on the Canadian side.
Thoughts on where to camp, what to see besides the Falls area
and any other neat Canadian places we should visit along our Route.
Also would appreciate any discussion on border crossing with an RV.
We have our passports. What other papers do we need??
Staying 3-4-5-6 days depending on other attractions or sights
you guys suggest.

Holland Michigan, repeat visit. We were there in our 1st trailer back in
2004. We plan to stay at Holland state park on the beach.
We LOVED Meijer gardens and sculpture park Grand Rapids and may
visit again. Holland was a great bicycle friendly town and we're looking
forward to a repeat visit.
We did Ludington state park in 04 also. Want to go back there but not
this trip. All wife remembers is lots of mosquitoes. I remember a great
park!

Any other must see along our rough draft route???

Plan on anything between 14 and about 19 or 20 days.
__________________

__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,329
Here's a link to info on Hocking Hills State Park... Hocking Hills State Park - Ohio State Park Guide to Hocking Hills Cabins, Dining, Events.

We're staying there for 5 nights mid May...I'll give you the report then.

Dave
__________________

__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
4kmprs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Help me plan a trip!
Here is a google map rough draft--
Louisville, KY to Louisville, KY - Google Maps

I have 3 major stops but am looking for suggestions along the way,
route changes/suggestions and what to see at these stops.

Keep in mind (if it matters) we have no kids or pets.
We love to hike and bicycle and see lots of natural stuff.
An occasional botanical garden is good too.
We're not really looking for metropolitan museums and such but any
suggestion is welcome.
We will be pulling a 25' trailer. See my signature.

Hocking Hills Ohio, heard a lot about it, never been there.
Plan to camp here for a few days. 2-3-4??
No idea where to camp. Prefer state parks to KOAs.
Good Sam member if that matters.

Niagara Falls. Been there by car 15 years ago. Want to go back
by RV and stay on the Canadian side.
Thoughts on where to camp, what to see besides the Falls area
and any other neat Canadian places we should visit along our Route.
Also would appreciate any discussion on border crossing with an RV.
We have our passports. What other papers do we need??
Staying 3-4-5-6 days depending on other attractions or sights
you guys suggest.

Holland Michigan, repeat visit. We were there in our 1st trailer back in
2004. We plan to stay at Holland state park on the beach.
We LOVED Meijer gardens and sculpture park Grand Rapids and may
visit again. Holland was a great bicycle friendly town and we're looking
forward to a repeat visit.
We did Ludington state park in 04 also. Want to go back there but not
this trip. All wife remembers is lots of mosquitoes. I remember a great
park!

Any other must see along our rough draft route???

Plan on anything between 14 and about 19 or 20 days.
If you are making a loop from my old home town of louisville to mi, Canada, and then back, I suggest...

Henry ford museum in Dearborn mi on your way from holland to Ontario and then over to Niagara falls. If then then head south through Cleveland, please visit University Circle on the east side of town. Fantastic modern art museum, newly renovated and expanded metropolitan museum and great botanical gardens all within walking distance of where you park in the circle. Pounderson state park on the east side is about 30 -45 minutes to the museums. We have fantastic restaurants in the Unoversity Cirlce area too.

If you mountain bike, west branch state park in ravenna, ohio is about an hour south east of cleveland. has 14 miles of single and double track trails and it is right on an all sports lake that also has a marina with pontoon, jet ski and power boat rentals.

These parks are about 4 hours from hocking hills and about 31/2 hours to Niagara falls so it may make for some easy half day drives with some exploring in between.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.
__________________
Kevin, Meg and DDx2
2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2004 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 3.73 4x4
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Days Camped 2013 = 9 planned before April 1st
Local Ohio CGs - Punderson SP and West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Have been to Hocking Hills several times. We've always stayed at Top-O-Caves campground. It's a private campground, but has decent bath house(not great), pool, and is walking distance to the caves, somewhat pricey, but it has a pool and the kids like it. Great hiking. I've heard the state park is nice, but get your reservations early. I tend to stay away from KOA's. There are falls, caves, and well mapped trails in the area.

BTW, I can arrange a tour of an Ernst Concrete plant in Louisville. (Family)
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Here's a link to info on Hocking Hills State Park... Hocking Hills State Park - Ohio State Park Guide to Hocking Hills Cabins, Dining, Events.

We're staying there for 5 nights mid May...I'll give you the report then.

Dave
Dave, you are my go-to-guy for Canada and Niagara Falls!
Where should we camp near the falls??
Are there any issues with border crossing pulling a trailer?
What else is a must see on our route thru Canada?
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Barney1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 308
I have a couple of suggestions for the Canadian side of your trip

1. Drive past Niagara Falls and camp at Valens conservation area ( https://secure.camis.com/HCA/ValensConservationArea)
That way it is an easy day drip to both:
- The Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington on the north side of Lake Ontario (15 minutes)
- Niagara Falls on the south of Lake Ontario (40 minutes) bonus there are numerous wineries on the way from Valens to Niagara

2. Just North of the Sarnia/Port Huron border along the eastern shore of Lake Huron is the Pinery Provincial Park (http://www.pinerypark.on.ca/camping.html)
This is one of my favourite parks - lots to explore.
__________________
Barney

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn V8 Hemi
Previous Trailer -> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,732
We've booked 4 nites at each of these stops--
Hocking Hills state park Ohio
Fourmile Creek state park NY
Pinery Provence park Ontario
Holland state park MI

We are excited and I'm relieved to have this trip on paper with reservations.
We have to go prime time one more summer. Next year GW will retire and
we can move some of our trips to slightly off peak times.

Here's a google map of the route--
http://goo.gl/maps/iiAPl

Any tips for papers, or issues related to border crossing are appreciated!!
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 120
Hocking Hills is a gorgeous area. One of the "7 wonders of Ohio" I've been going there since I was knee high to a grasshopper! be sure to check out the following while there:
Ash Cave Gorge • 1/4 Mile • Easy • Handicap Accessible
Ash Cave Rim • 1/2 Mile • Moderate
Cedar Falls • 1/2 Mile • Moderate
Old Man's Cave • 1 Mile • Moderate
Conkles Hollow • 1 Mile • Easy • Handicap Accessible
Conkle's Hollow Rim • 2.5 Miles • Moderate
Rock House • 1/2 Mile • Moderate
Cantwell Cliffs • 1 Mile • Difficult
Buckeye Trail • 6 Miles • Moderate
__________________
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
Hocking Hills is a gorgeous area. One of the "7 wonders of Ohio" I've been going there since I was knee high to a grasshopper! be sure to check out the following while there:
Ash Cave Gorge • 1/4 Mile • Easy • Handicap Accessible
Ash Cave Rim • 1/2 Mile • Moderate
Cedar Falls • 1/2 Mile • Moderate
Old Man's Cave • 1 Mile • Moderate
Conkles Hollow • 1 Mile • Easy • Handicap Accessible
Conkle's Hollow Rim • 2.5 Miles • Moderate
Rock House • 1/2 Mile • Moderate
Cantwell Cliffs • 1 Mile • Difficult
Buckeye Trail • 6 Miles • Moderate
Thanks Mike!! I'll print your list and put it with our reservations and maps!
We are looking forward to discovering or re-discovering these 4 wonderful areas!
__________________
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,973
No problem crossing the border. Have your passports and if traveling with pets have vet papers with proof of shots. They might want to search inside the trailer. Remember do not try to take firearms into Canada. If you like to watch large ships then to to the Welland Canal. Cambridge Ontario is a short drive and the location of African Lion Safari.
This a a zoo where the animals roam freely and you drive your vehicle through the compounds. The animals will come right up to the car window. There is a farmers market in Hamilton Ont. where you can purchase meats form the Amish. In Toronto you could go out to the Medieval Times Dinner & tournament.
__________________

__________________
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.