Old 09-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
Hwy 64 from east of Cleveland, TN to Franklin, NC

Has anyone taken Highway 64 from east of Cleveland,TN through the Ocoee area through Murphy,NC and on to Franklin, NC? Is this highway doable in a MH? Thanks for any info.

Mitch & Debbie
Maggie, the Wonder Dog
2015 GeorgetownXL 352
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
TheLarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #2
It's been about 20 years, but I remember a few tight curves/cutbacks with rock overhangs that might be trouble for a large MH. Don't remember any severe climbs/descents. Length will be your enemy.

2016 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4

mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
The only bad part will be through the ocoee river gorge. 18 wheelers do so you should be able to, I can only think of one curve that will be a tight squeeze. But it is a beautiful drive. We have driven several times from Murfreesboro to silva nc and love it.
2015 Nissan Titan CC SV
2017 Salem 27RKSS
fastalkintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
Hwy 64/74 east of Cleveland starts off as a 4 lane divided, then two lanes twisting thru the Parksville & Ocoee lake area ( 15 - 20 miles) but is drivable in a MH all the way to Ducktown. After that the road is good eastbound.
1999 F250 w/7.3L Diesel
2014 Silhouette 299RKDS
Nights Camped 2016 - 21

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
Citrus County, Fl.
You will have a pretty steep grade going in to Franklin. If I remember correctly it's about 6% for 2-3 miles
2016 Forester 3011DS
2015 Toyota Corrola S toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Talking Snow

Back in 1961 a few days after Christmas I was hitchhiking from east to west headed towards Memphis and now mind you interstates and 4 lane highways were basically non existent. I got stranded on the Cherokee indian reservation in a blinding snow storm around midnight......That bad experience clouds my view of this road so i find another way to get where I am going.....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
As mentioned, the section through the Ocoee River gorge is twisty, steep, and narrow at times, but driveable by motor homes and towed trailers of any length. I live here and have made the trip several times. 18-wheelers and raft company 40-ft school buses cruise through routinely. It's very scenic, but pay attention, slow down and enjoy the trip. Sneaking too many peeks at the Ocoee is what will get you in trouble! This type crossing is what makes camping enjoyable and exciting. If you are kayakers like us it's a must to get to the Ocoee, Hiwassee, Pigeon, and Nantahala Rivers among others. The Southwest gateway to the Smokies.
BGinVA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
I have done it pulling my Windjammer and it is a beautiful trip but don't stop at Franklin, go all the way to Brevard. Hey 64 is still great through Highlands and Cashers and up to Brevard.
pnwbrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
I live in Cleveland. I have never pulled my camper on the 64 but I would if we decide to head due East. There are several tight turns. But going East you are in the right lane away from the rock face and overhangs. I wouldn't pull my 28ft camper West on 64. That's just me though. I ride a motorcycle through there and when semis are coming West they take up a large portion of the East bound lane. Not fun seeing a semi in your lane with just a few feet of your lane left open.

2013 Surveyor Sport 260
Buck1032 is offline   Reply With Quote