Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Got mtn bike?

I-20 through Atlanta, Ga?

If all goes as planned, I should be headed to the east coast by the end of next week.
I normally drive straight through Atlanta on I-20 when just in a vehicle.
Anyone have any experience pulling a TT?
It would either be late Saturday afternoon or very early Sunday morning.
To me, taking I-285 would just make the trip longer and more hazardous.
I have an 04 F250 4x4 and would be pulling a 33' RockWood 2904SS.
ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis662 View Post
If all goes as planned, I should be headed to the east coast by the end of next week.
I normally drive straight through Atlanta on I-20 when just in a vehicle.
Anyone have any experience pulling a TT?
It would either be late Saturday afternoon or very early Sunday morning.
To me, taking I-285 would just make the trip longer and more hazardous.
I have an 04 F250 4x4 and would be pulling a 33' RockWood 2904SS.
From my personal experience, I would drive 100 miles out of the way to avoid going thru' Atlanta on any interstate or bypass pulling any trailer.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #3

After living in Atlanta for 23 years and non stop road construction through the downtown area; I would take 285 around the south side of the city. Not sure if the Braves would be playing at home on Saturday afternoon or early evening game. May want to check their schedule. Early Sunday wouldn't be a traffic problem--just possible road construction.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
After living in Atlanta for 23 years and non stop road construction through the downtown area; I would take 285 around the south side of the city. Not sure if the Braves would be playing at home on Saturday afternoon or early evening game. May want to check their schedule. Early Sunday wouldn't be a traffic problem--just possible road construction.
Understand that! I was born and raised in the Atlanta area, but that was many years ago. A lot has changed and it keeps get bigger and bigger.
The Braves have a game Friday and Saturday nights around 7pm and a game Sunday at 1pm.

There's not a race at Talladega and there's not a FB game at Tuscaloosa.

I guess I'll shoot for Saturday afternoon or an early Sunday morning mission through Atlanta. Also included in the trip will be a driver in a Ford Ranger and another driver in a Uhaul towing a Jeep Wrangler.

Dunnc, I've been looking at the map and there just doesn't look like a good way to by-pass Atlanta.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis662 View Post
...Dunnc, I've been looking at the map and there just doesn't look like a good way to by-pass Atlanta.
Understand, we pulled thru there with a Flagstaff 831RLSS going to Weslaco, TX. Swore I would NEVER pull a trailer thru or anywhere around Atlanta. We came back on I10 thru FL. Don't mind it if not towing something, but with a trailer, I think it is a nightmare. We went thru around 8:30 am on a Sat.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #6

Doubt that it is worse than I-10 in Houston - six lanes gets down to one lane as you go thru the downtown area.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
Doubt that it is worse than I-10 in Houston - six lanes gets down to one lane as you go thru the downtown area.
OUCH! That's got to be a tough one to get through!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
Got mtn bike?

I just wanted to give an update to this post.
We drove over 800 miles, 15+ hours. We split it up into 2 days and stayed at a Jelly Stone CG in Bremen Ga that Saturday night and hit Atlanta around 0900 that Sunday morning. Arrived at our destination late that Sunday evening.
No problem getting through Atlanta, but traffic on I-95 was bumper to bumper.
I had the truck and camper loaded down pretty good.
But the Reese WDH and single sway bar did great!
Sure, there was some "sway" when 18 wheeler would pass. Or atleast the 1st sway just as the semi would get even with the rear of the camper.
Just a few minutes before leaving out.

I think I might need to beef up the rear suspension to my truck.

I think I need to slide the chain hooks forward just an inch or two.

But I guess after 800+ miles in mostly heavy traffic at speeds between 60 and 65 mph, I can't complain too much about the set up.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #9

Thanks for the update on your trip. We are planning on going through Atlanta next month, I-75 South. I am going to do the 285 around it..I have been through Atlanta many different times but not towing a tt. Will try to do an update when I get to my destination.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #10

Glad it went well for you through Atlanta. Just never know in that city with the non stop road construction. Nice looking trailer also!

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 08-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Got mtn bike?

Thanks Old Car for the compliment on the trailer!
Good luck Mark and Linda on your journey.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #12

Will try to report back when I reach my destinatiion in a few weeks. This will be our first long haul since we got our tt. We have to pass over Monteagle Mountain on 1-24, so I will just join the truckers in the right lane and go with it. I have driven this one many times but I wasn't towing.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #13

are you happy with the 2904SS, we got one in Feb. this year, we love it, been on 5 week long trips. I have been thinking about a trip that would take me through Atlanta but I have not got my nerve up yet.
jerry1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #14

I was going to ask did you stay on I-20 through Atlanta?
jerry1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #15
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry1946 View Post
I was going to ask did you stay on I-20 through Atlanta?
So far I'm enjoying the 2904SS. Living out of it in a campground in NC.
I've got every crook and cranny stuffed with the essentials.

Other than a crack and leak in the skylight, which I fixed myself and then the heat/sun coming in through the clear skylight
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ler-26939.html

I stayed Saturday night at the Jelly Stone Campground in Bremen/Waco Ga. just across the Ala/GA line. Then left out around 7am EST and took I-20 straight through Atlanta around 8am with no problem.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #16

I went to Michael's/Hobby Lobby and bought some foam squares and I stick them in the vents and skylight to help control the heat. I pull them out when using the shower or we want to open the vents. Seems to help some.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 08-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #17

I don't think there is any stress-free route in and around Atlanta. Even the 285 bypass can give you white knuckles...and not just because of traffic volume, but rather the number of bonehead drivers out there.

It really depends on the day and time of day that you are traveling through. Sunday morning is probably the best time for traffic volume. Avoid late afternoons during the week; rush "hour" generally starts around 4 pm and lasts 2-3 hours; 3 pm on Fridays and days before holidays.
ptt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt87 View Post
I don't think there is any stress-free route in and around Atlanta. Even the 285 bypass can give you white knuckles...and not just because of traffic volume, but rather the number of bonehead drivers out there.

It really depends on the day and time of day that you are traveling through. Sunday morning is probably the best time for traffic volume. Avoid late afternoons during the week; rush "hour" generally starts around 4 pm and lasts 2-3 hours; 3 pm on Fridays and days before holidays.
I40 or I10 bypass works great!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Linda View Post
Will try to report back when I reach my destinatiion in a few weeks. This will be our first long haul since we got our tt. We have to pass over Monteagle Mountain on 1-24, so I will just join the truckers in the right lane and go with it. I have driven this one many times but I wasn't towing.
Well, I said I would follow-up on this thread after I made the trip. We left Smyrna, TN on Sept. 8 a little after 5AM, made it over Monteagle Mountain, no problem. From I-24 at Chattanooga we headed down towards Atlanta via I-75. I took the 285 W bypass around Atlanta to I-75 South, was really amazed how it went, must have been the time of day. We stayed over at the KOA north of Macon, GA in Forsyth, got there a little around 1 PM. Sunday it was I-16 to Savannah, GA, 160 miles of bumpy concrete road. Savannah was no problem going through downtown on Bay Street, left lane. Lots of construction in the right lane, even on Sunday. We left the Rivers End Campground at Tybee Island yesterday morning, back through Savannah. I told the DW, sure would like to have a cup of coffee and we need some gas so I was going to stop at Exit 49. I was complaining about the condition of the concrete road, etc. because we were bouncing along. A car passed and a fellow was pointing...I looked in my left mirror and seen smoke. I then felt it, my left rear tire on my tv decided to fly apart. I managed to get everything off the road safely, had two nice people stop to see if we were okay. I called AAA and they called a local tire repair. Within 30 minutes Johnson Tire arrived on the scene, changed my tv tire, and I was back on the road. I was amazed that it was so quick. With all this happening, I hit Atlanta on Sunday afternoon at 3PM..it seemed like all the trucks were on the same route that I was on, 285. Lots of concrete repair needed in GA. We stopped over at Red Top Mountain State Park, near Cartersville, GA. Made it through Chattanooga and over Monteagle Mountain with no problems, truck did great up the mountain. About 40 miles from home the bottom fell out, more rain than I have ever seen, first time pulling our tt in traffic with all that rain. We made it home, into the drive, without floating away. I told my dw that I was beginning to be a seasoned RV puller....still have my hand prints imbedded on the steering wheel.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #20
Got mtn bike?

Sounds like you had a lot of obstacles to over come in your trip.
Sorry to hear about the flat.
I bet going around Atlanta on 285 at 3pm, even on a Sunday was white knuckle.
Any damage to the trailer from the tire flying apart?