Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #21

Went to Charleston through Knoxville and Ashville in December. Roads were all open, very little construction issues. Keep in right lane, watch you speed in the curves, note the grade warnings you will be fine. Better route than going through Chattanoga and hitting the 6 mile steep downward grade called Mounteagle. Brakes got a little warm on that one, exhaust brake saved the day on that one.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #22
Ambassador

If you want to get to Florida I would just stay on I-75. It doesn't have the grades that I-40 has. It would put a lot more stress on your rig to go the I-40 route. Is there a destination that you need to get to that's over that way? If there isn't then it just isn't worth the time, and hassle. I'm sure you could make it just fine, and It is a more scenic route. Though it will add 60 miles, and an hour to your trip and that's best case scenario, more probable having to creep up the grades and dealing with the idiots flying by you and cutting in front of you etc... probably double the extra time. You know your wife will want to stop at Biltmore estate in Asheville too. They still have their Christmas decorations up... You'll enjoy that little gem of a place. That's at least another 4 hrs walking around looking at the finer points of 19th century furniture and their 30 ft tall Christmas tree in their dining room. Yeah man, stay on I-75 if you know what's good for you...

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote