Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #1

I 40 from Knoxville to Asheville

How is the mountain pass going from Knoxville to Asheville. My wife does not like mountains! Would I be better to stay on I 75 all the way to Florida? I will be driving a 2008 370 Georgetown towing a Ford Flex!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:01 AM   #2

I'm sure you will get lots of feedback from others on this site. I just came thru there pulling a 37' 5ver with an F250 with no problems. The higher grade is east of Asheville but after the I-26 exit so you should have no problems.

I use an app that tells me about all the grades developed by someone who has driven them. It is not a free app but may be something you may want to investigate. The link to their homepage is: Mountain Directory for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann55 View Post
How is the mountain pass going from Knoxville to Asheville. My wife does not like mountains! Would I be better to stay on I 75 all the way to Florida? I will be driving a 2008 370 Georgetown towing a Ford Flex!
It's really not that bad I have traveled over Asheville many times. Just stay to the right with your flashers on and take your time. Worst Mt. Pass I have been on was in Utah, out of salt lake city going east. I think it could be the longest to. Just take your time pulling them and going down. Most of the time the road will divide into 3 lanes at any steep and long decent. I read about that app that was posted it is pretty pricey as was stated. You can plan your route then use Google Earth to see it. Do you have brakes for the toad connected? My best advice is just tap your brakes so you don't pick up a lot of speed and you will be just fine. Also there are no really scary drop offs over Asheville. That I can think of. Maybe someone else will but I don't. Went over it going to Nashville last year had no problems at all. Good Luck on your decision....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

It is an area where you should be very cautious. The highway over the mountain is a little twisty with narrow lanes. The 18 wheelers are restricted to the right lane, and you too should keep right. That said, if you proceed with some caution and remain alert, it is very doable. I have towed a 33' 5th wheel both ways through there without any issue. The really big hill is east of Asheville and going down is not bad. Use tow/mode, keep to the right and idle down the mountain at 45mph or less. It is fairly easy. Now, going UP that grade is another story...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #5

Here are some notes ( I got them from another user on another RV site so I can't take credit for them) I keep handy:

I-40 East from Knoxville, TN

I-40, TN, MM 444, Begin 55mph Truck restriction lane.
I-40, TN, MM 445, Caution, 50mph Left curve.
I-40, TN, MM 450, Caution, sharp 45mph left curve.
I-40, NC, MM 20, End Truck restriction lane. 60mph downhill race to Asheville, NC
I-40, NC, MM 46A, I-26 Split.
I-26, NC, MM 53/54 Continental Divide, 2130 feet.
I-26, NC, MM 54, Enter the Green River Gorge, 7 % downhill grade, 55mph.
I-26, NC, MM 55, Bridge over the Green River.
I-26, NC, MM 61, Start uphill pull.
I-26, NC, MM 62, 6% Downhill grade.
I-26, NC, MM 62.5. Bottom
I-26, SC, Gentle rolling hills to Columbia, SC

Generally I prefer to plan to take I-75S all the way to the Florida line. At that point I can take I-10 over to the Atlantic side of the state or stay on I-75 for the Gulf side of the state.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #6

My F250 Powerstroke diesel Ford has a tow mode button that helps tremendously going down hill almost like a jake break in a big rig. The switch to mine was broken when I first bought my Cherokee and I was a basket case every time I would go down the mountain. The first two trips were to Carowinds in the Charlotte and to Biltmore in Asheville since we lived in Greenville SC at the time. I can say it was not fun and I seriously thought I had made a mistake getting a 36 ft pull behind. Getting the tow mode fixed made a huge difference and now we are looking to upgrade to a 5ther.
As far as which way to go depends on what part of Florida are you heading?
Old 12-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #7

We've done it in both directions. As others have said, going down the east side, east of Asheville, can be a little daunting. Stay in the right hand lane, keep your speed down, and you'll be fine. Let the trucks pass you...and they will...and take your time.

We have been over it both ways with a gas 3/4 ton pickup and a 34' travel trailer, with no problem.

Happy New Year, and safe travels.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Went thru there last summer....lot bigger 'hills' between here and there......with this older Dodge, 2nd gear works very good to help from cook'n brakes.....was some bridge work going on, as I remember.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #9

Came through on Monday with 35 ft. Georgetown XL pulling an 18 ft. flatbed with 2 motorcycles on board. No problem. Not like out west.
Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:17 PM   #10

Mountains

I think you were asking about mountains because of wife not if you would have any problems with your Rv yes it's lots of twisting up and down roads are good but lots of tractors and trailers beside you I never had a problem with them but can be a little busy pretty good ways without a break if mountains freak your wife out go the other way I have traveled this route many times but I love the mountains wife loves them too once we are thru driving
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
What kind of Rv? Some folks like to sight-see while drive'n.....rumble strips make pass. nervous...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:38 PM   #12

How far east of Asheville will you be going? If you are going as far east as Winston Salem you could consider I81N to I77S to US52 to Winston Salem and back to I40. I77 is not as curvy as I40 is thru the gorge. Time wise it is a wash either way. I tend to prefer the 81/77/52 route to avoid motion sickness with the curves.

I have done both with a 7500# boat behind a K2500 Suburban (6.0 gas) without incident

If you will be taking I26 from Asheville towards Greenville, SC I am not much help. I have only traveled that route a few times.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #13

The only concern you might have is the bridge replacement near Newport over Douglas Lake. It might be one lane but trucks use it every day and it also passes wide loads. You will not have any trouble all the way east. Weather is good and road is not bad. Be safe and enjoy East Tennessee
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #14

Travelled that stretch heading to Florida last March. Pulled a Windjammer 3029 with a F150 Ecoboost without any issues. Just stay in the right lane and take it easy. Slow and steady wins the race.
Magdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
It's really not that bad I have traveled over Asheville many times. Just stay to the right with your flashers on and take your time. Worst Mt. Pass I have been on was in Utah, out of salt lake city going east. I think it could be the longest to. Just take your time pulling them and going down. Most of the time the road will divide into 3 lanes at any steep and long decent. I read about that app that was posted it is pretty pricey as was stated. You can plan your route then use Google Earth to see it. Do you have brakes for the toad connected? My best advice is just tap your brakes so you don't pick up a lot of speed and you will be just fine. Also there are no really scary drop offs over Asheville. That I can think of. Maybe someone else will but I don't. Went over it going to Nashville last year had no problems at all. Good Luck on your decision....
Do not drive on the roadway with emergency flashers on it is for off road use only, you may see red and blue flashers in your rear view mirror....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #16

depends on where you are going in fla witch you would want to go western fla I75 eastern fla I40 I26 I95
peterbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
Do not drive on the roadway with emergency flashers on it is for off road use only, you may see red and blue flashers in your rear view mirror....
??? Why would you need them off road? Nobody behind you then....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #18

NC is one state that post signs and also requires 4 way flashers on if on interstate and under 55 miles per hour. They post signs on most uphill grades, TN also requires it
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
Tennessee requires emergency flashers on steep up hill grades when traveling under 45 mph.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #20

I don't know where you are starting from but my folks used to live near Louisville, Ky and I live in the Raleigh, NC area. Even without towing we preferred to to take I-77 and I-64 through the mountains over the I-40/I-75 route. In general I-77 is wider and has wider turns than you see on I-40 west of Asheville. We found while the distance was somewhat longer the drive time was actually less due to the over all better roadway.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote