Old 08-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Do any of the free sites (Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, etc.) have restrictions on putting the slides out? (I've heard that in rest stops and truck stops slides are a no-no just for safety sake.)
Slides out or jacks down are not permitted at any WalMart. Remember it is not a campground but a quick overnight stay.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #22

Perhaps it depends on the Walmarts and the area. Seen several "over nighters" in our local Walmarts (Chattanooga, TN) with the slides out, jacks down, and the satellite up. Of course they are the fartherest area from the store but they are usually set up in the 5:00 p.m. Part of the afternoon as well.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #23

We much prefer a cheap pull through site to a parking lot anyday - like to have the slides out, set up the TV, maybe sit outside and have an adult beverage and a cigar to relax from a long day's drive, and get ready for the next day..... That being said, South of the Border works great for us as it has long, pull trough sites, a security gate, full hookups, and although it is right off the highway, it is quite quiet - all for under $25. Carolina Crossroads is also very handy, with mostly pull through sites - in fact, most the private RV parks close to I95 are set up for quick overnight stays with handy pull through sites. We usually get on the phone late afternoon when we have an ETA, and have never come up short yet ....
Old 08-19-2015, 12:31 AM   #24
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Do any of the free sites (Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, etc.) have restrictions on putting the slides out? (I've heard that in rest stops and truck stops slides are a no-no just for safety sake.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Slides out or jacks down are not permitted at any WalMart. Remember it is not a campground but a quick overnight stay.

There are no written *rules* for Walmart stays. As far as I've ever read, Walmart doesn't care if your slides are out or jacks are down so long as you don't block traffic or damage the asphalt (hot asphalt and jacks are a bad combination).

That said and as mentioned, it is recommended by many that you avoid the appearance of "camping"- no chairs, no grill, etc.

So long as you can do so safely, slides aren't a problem. I'm wary to put them out at truck stops because I don't want to take up a second space and do have concerns about a trucker coming around the rig too close. I haven't overnighted at a truck stop (I prefer the quiet of Walmart or electric hookups of a pull-thru campground)- I have used truck stops during the day and for dinner time (where we cooked and ate inside the camper). If I put my slides out, I make sure I'm on an end spot or out where they won't be an issue. If I'm not on an end spot and someone may come around me, I'll put my traffic cones out to help avoid issues.

Now, down in Florida in December, there was a Flying J that had RV parking separate from the truck parking. The place looked like a super tight campground with campers every which way and slides out all over the place. There must have been 30-40+ campers.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:46 AM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

It always amazed me how many trailers are useless without putting the slides out. No bathroom access, can not get to the fridge or beds.... We have never stayed at a Wally-world but we keep the slides in at the truck stops so we do not get our wings clipped.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #26

amazon has a book on I95 lists EVERYTHING at each exit gas food cg etc

I95 exit guide ??
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to jk31668
all the southern rest stops allow for over night parking and have 24 hr security as well
Old 08-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

We travel it every year and never found the need to stop at anything but campgrounds. They are plentiful and much more secure than any freebies. We just don't use freebies.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #29

The OP was asking about I95 rest stops. As some replied with better ones than others, I think you answered his Q. Since he hasn't gotten back, lets assume we gave him good advice.

Now, as far as what Walmart expects from "us" being good overnighters allowing us to stay FREE at their stores parking lots. I have seen it getting worse and worse with people not being considerate on how they overnight. If your too lazy to just park, pull the blinds and get some shut eye, then don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Walmart does not (i'll assume) want or need, unknowing overnighters to put down their levelers and do possible damage to their ashphalt. You might not understand this, but, a parking lot is not constructed like a road bed, so YES your levelers do put undue stress on their parking lot surface at point of contact, causing premature failure over time in the area of the levelers It's pure physics. So, when all of a sudden, they are scratching their heads, wondering why the far corner of the lot is shot, guess what happens next.

Remember, it is through their good grace that they allow us to overnight, so please don't be selfish, and ruin it for the rest of us.

If you can't live with a little rocking for one night, do us all a favor and stay at a rest stop. Just sayin'
Old 08-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #30
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
The OP was asking about I95 rest stops. As some replied with better ones than others, I think you answered his Q. Since he hasn't gotten back, lets assume we gave him good advice.

Now, as far as what Walmart expects from "us" being good overnighters allowing us to stay FREE at their stores parking lots. I have seen it getting worse and worse with people not being considerate on how they overnight. If your too lazy to just park, pull the blinds and get some shut eye, then don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Walmart does not (i'll assume) want or need, unknowing overnighters to put down their levelers and do possible damage to their ashphalt. You might not understand this, but, a parking lot is not constructed like a road bed, so YES your levelers do put undue stress on their parking lot surface at point of contact, causing premature failure over time in the area of the levelers It's pure physics. So, when all of a sudden, they are scratching their heads, wondering why the far corner of the lot is shot, guess what happens next.

Remember, it is through their good grace that they allow us to overnight, so please don't be selfish, and ruin it for the rest of us.

If you can't live with a little rocking for one night, do us all a favor and stay at a rest stop. Just sayin'
I have no idea who you're referring to.

I have no idea how putting down levelers is construed as being "too lazy to just park and close the blinds"? What in the world does LAZY have to do with it???