Old 04-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
I90 Buffalo NY to I71 Louisville KY

Looking for anyone that has travelled 90 then 71 Buffalo to Louisville. Summer trip to Nashville planned. Thank you for you opinions and assistance.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
I drove from Buffalo to Cincinnati a few years back, and drive to Cleveland/Akron a few times a year. 90 to 71, not a bad ride. I always hit traffic through Cleveland (even on weekends). Gas prices in PA are great (as compared to what I pay in Buffalo). Plenty of truck and RV friendly gas stations. If your craving a Tim Horton's coffee, the last shop is at a gas station on exit 27, right across the street from a Pilot truck stop. Mind the speed on the 90 getting into Cleveland, a wicked 90 degree turn is there, plenty of flashing lights telling you to slow down to 35 mph.

2014 F-150 SuperCrew
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
Here is whats planned for Ohio road construction wise.
ODOT 2015 Construction Highlights

We are just east of Columbus. As with any city, avoid rush hours if possible. Most of 71 from Clev. to Cols is at least three lanes. Cols. has a lot of interchange work going on around downtown. It's a 50/50 shot to go through or around on 270. 610AM has the most frequent traffic updates. Cols to Cincy gets crowded, mostly 2 lanes. Cincy can be crowded as well, pay attention to lane signs to stay on 71. Its easy to get distracted looking at everything buildings,stadiums,river. There is a decent hill climb going into KY. Stays crowded on through Florence til the 71/75 split and eventually opens up to a nice 2 lane ride to Louisville. If there is a big race at the speedway it might be crowded there. Kentucky Speedway Thats all I have. Enjoy.
2008 Roo 21SS
2003 GMC 1500HD 4X4 6.0 3:73 Diablo tuner
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
Travel options

Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Looking for anyone that has travelled 90 then 71 Buffalo to Louisville. Summer trip to Nashville planned. Thank you for you opinions and assistance.
Lived in Florence, KY, traveled Cincy roadways quite a bit. Wanted to offer you some options for getting through Cincy.

IF you want to see the stadiums, stay on 71, which goes through southern edge of downtown. 71 takes a tight left to converge with 75. 2 lanes of 71 coming together with two lanes of 75, almost to the bridge (Brent Spence). This area at any time of the day is very congested. And there could be construction. You will cross the bridge, start to climb a very steep hill with 4 lanes of traffic. The two right lanes will be for semis and other slower vehicles. The hill curves, hence the name Cut in the Hill. Worst time to travel area is anytime after 3, or noon on Friday. Sometimes traffic going across the bridge and up the hill is slowed due to trucks that don't travel in the left lanes!

Another option is to take 71 into edge of Cincy, take 471 south. This is a connector highway that connects 71 to 275 south of Cincy. This will take you across big yellow bridge called The Big Mac. It runs straight south and connects with 275, which you would take west to 75. This gets you out of the downtown traffic and you won't have to get into the congestion and big hill on 75 south.

The last option is to take 71 to 275 south/west. This runs east of Cincinnati but is a good highway, nice bridge across the river, connects with 75 just north of Florence. At ramp to south 75, suggest staying in left lane. 71, 75 and traffic from east bound 275 will converge here and the inside lane is the best place to be to merge onto 75. This area is very busy also, especially
during rushing hour which can start at 3:30 or 12 on Friday. Good to hit this area in the morning since you will be heading south.

71 doesn't have any rest area until you get almost to Louisville. (pronounced Looie ville or Loo uh vull!! Kentuckians are particular how this citie's name is pronounced! LOL!!) The drive is easy, just not a lot to see.

I like to use Google Earth to view interstates going through the big cities.
Gives me an idea of where the connecting highways are.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy Nashville.

2016 Wildwood 26TBSS
2012 F150 Screw XLT
4 leggers Spudz and Halley
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote