Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park

Anyone been here? We've got a reservation in June and am really looking forward to it. At a party this weekend we were talking to some friends who recently went there for a day an had a bad experience. Would love any feedback.
LionInTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #2

has been a few years since I was there but from what I remember was a descent place - the only thing I can think of that might be bad is when it rain's there sites tend to flood and hold some of the water
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #3

It's been a few years for me as well, main thing I recall was mosquitoes were fierce there- Long key SP was just as bad.... Pennekamp had a canal through a mangrove swamp yo access the ocean; cannot be seen from the park. Limerock campsites, raccoons were plentiful, vendors to take you out to the reef either in glass bottom boats, or a snorkeling trip. Or, you can rent your own boat by the hour, as we did. They do have a swimming area and a nice large saltwater aquarium to walk around, at least they did when we went. About 110 miles from Key West, as well. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #4

We're going to Bahia Honda State Park at the end of June, 37 miles from Key West. Very nice park, ocean views of the Atlantic and the Gulf, as well as an old bridge to walk on, and a pretty nice swimming area. Currents can be strong at times, though. Much more open and breezy between the 2 oceans, as well. AND lots less mosquitoes. My fav. State Park in the Keys. Jonathan Dickinson SP near Palm Beach is worth a visit, as well. Staying there on the return trip back to Jax. Flagler museum there is great! Randy
Old 05-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, we'll definitely stock on the bug spray. Been trying to get a reservation at Bahia Honda but no luck so far, got any tricks? We've tent camped at the KOA on Surgarloaf Key. Really nice and close to Key West. We live close to Jonathan Dickenson but haven't done it yet.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionInTheSun View Post
Thanks for the info, we'll definitely stock on the bug spray. Been trying to get a reservation at Bahia Honda but no luck so far, got any tricks? We've tent camped at the KOA on Surgarloaf Key. Really nice and close to Key West. We live close to Jonathan Dickenson but haven't done it yet.
Reserveamerica.com - put in your date and the particular state park you want to camp at along with the trailer length and water / electrical requirents and if it doesnt show any site's available - you can click either down or show the next 2 weeks and scroll till you see one in blue (Means available) - this is what I do when looking for a campsite that is close - if it is a far away place then it is no dice and I keep looking for another place at that point
Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #7

Problem is, everyone that has been to Bahia Honda generally likes it the most. I reserved our trip in November, plenty of spaces available then for the summer months. The trick for the Keys is book early! That KOA on Sugarloaf looks very nice as well, but it is pretty pricey, and not much privacy. Randy
Old 05-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #8

I agree on the booking months in advanced - been trying to get a site for Fort Desoto and only seems like they have sites for weekdays and very few weekends on the water.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #9

sherdep, I know the feeling! It's like that here in Jacksonville, trying to get a weekend reservation at Fort Clinch S.P. in Fernandina. We love that CG, very shady and nice. Lots of snowbirds there during the winter months. Randy
Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #10

the park was just recently renovated and now has full hookups, i have read good reviews so far on different sites, always mosquitoes in fla in the summer !
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #11

Pennekamp and Bahia Honda are our staple places to go every year, except this one due school calendar changes. Pennekamp is nice and a different experience than Bahia Honda. We take our boat and a few kayaks with us when we head down there and because of that Pennekamp is awesome. the upper Key's have alot more reefs for snorkeling than the lower Keys. Fishing is superb off of Islamorda because of some bottom structure/formations which holds fish and the proximity of the Gulf Stream.

Since we spend our days on the ocean, we honestly have not experienced a big bug issue there. Also, Pennekamp is tucked in a developed area of Key Largo and Monroe County has an active mosquito control program too.

Bahia Honda is perhaps the best chunk of tropical paradise one can drive too. The island is very pretty and the campground is nice. My kids like the beach and snorkeling right off it. Looe Key and Newfound Harbor patch reef are nearby and Looe Key is impressive ( really a reef with an exposed top on the back end at low tide). It is near Big Pine Key which is kind of a cool place as well as the City of Marathon on the other side of the 7 Mile Bridge.

Since you are in a PUP, here is BIG suggestion. Florida's cost is inhabited with a small gnat commonly called no-see-ums. They are tiny and bite. They leave a small red circle on your skin and they itch some. They can easily get through the screen holes in pop ups. The first year we took our Coleman pup down there I had no air and we slept at night with the canvas open. Come sun rise we were all being consumed by hoards of no see ums (lol)...dont open the camper up...rely on the air at night. No see ums are no where like the infamous New England black flies...I dont know what yall do up there..but those things really bite bad...

What ever you do, I highly recommend bringing kayaks, especially sit on tops if you have them and it is well worth it to rent a boat at Pennekamp for a couple of days. You can explore several reefs versus taking the head boats which only take you to one reef. And, if you have a 17 footer or bigger boat of your own, it is well worth towing it down there, even with these gas prices. The Keys are perhaps the one place I could spend a month there doing the same thing nearly every day and never get bored doing it...enjoy your trip and you may either call or email me if you have any other questions....
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #12

Smokyroo, I totally agree. Back in the early 90's I brought my Sea Ray boat down to the keys, stayed at Pennekamp and Long key SP. Loved having a boat there, and the onsite marina was great to get gas and info for going out to Looe key and snorkeling. We did that about 4 days of our weeklong stay. The downside was we had a tent then, can't pull a camper and a boat both......and the heat at night(July) was awful! Yeah, we had a fan, but still.....!! So, I swore that I would never stay in a tent in the keys again! Bought a pop up, towed that down there a few times, but always missed having a boat there. Rented one at Pennekamp, went snorkeling there as well, but loved Looe key better. Going back to Bahia Honda for a week the end of June! 500 miles from Jax for us! Randy
Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #13

Randy,
We pay the piper and tow two vehicles down there..one with the boat and the other the camper. Honestly, I could probably rent a vacation home there and just tow the boat, but I like the marina at Pennekamp and getting up and heading out. By camping we pay for the lodging nearly a year in advance and we save for the rest of the trip as it takes about 6-7 tanks of gas to from western NC to Key Largo per tow vehicle. Boy do I miss the good ole days when gas was $1.89....I remember when we first got our boat and the old one had a 60 gallon tank and I was flipping it out it cost $65 to fill her up. Now, we have a 125 gallon tank and it is mortgage payment to fill it up...but that 125 gallons lasts me nearly a week in the Keys....
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #14

Smokeyroo thanks for the great info. We have a couple of sit on tops and just got another little one for the kids. Looking forward to getting out with them and exploring. We'll definitely have the AC running the whole time so we should have a safe haven if the bugs are bad. Will let you guys know how it turns out.