Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #1

Kentucky Louisville South KOA

Hey all,
We are putting together a bourbon trail tour in June for about four - five days.
Any thoughts on Louisville South KOA? Is it a sardine can?

Looking at state parks My Old Kentucky Home (not many good reviews) and Taylorsville SPs (great reviews). On the way out stopping at Land between the Lakes before arriving in Memphis.
Thanks all...Cheers

2017 Mini Lite 2506S front kitchen

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
labcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
Site Team

We don't camp in our own backyard so to speak so we have not stayed there. You can Google map the KOA , zoom in and switch to satellite view. Sites are very close together.
Don't know where you're coming from but the Kentucky horse park near Lexington is nice. We've been there several times. There's a bourbon trail in the area.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #3

Stayed at Taylorsville Lake SP last fall and is a very nice campground. Also centrally located somewhat in the middle of the Bourbon Trail between Louisville and Lexington. Would recommend it.

Also Hillman Ferry campground in LBL is one of our favorite campgrounds. Will be there 3 weeks in July-August. Mammoth Cave NP campground is nice but no electricity or water.
dnmatt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #4

Kentucky Louisville South KOA

The Louisville South KOA, we usually get the spots near the entrance, no sewer/cable hookup, but they’re not as close together and are a bit from the other sites. Feels more like a state park than KOA parking lot.

If you can get into the upper ring at My Old Kentucky Home SP, it’s a nice little campground. Book early as they fill up quick. Depending on your rig, some sites are tight.

Diamond Lake RV resort outside of Owensboro is nice, but pricey.

Enjoy the Bourbon.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #5

Bourbon Trail campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcamper View Post
Hey all,
We are putting together a bourbon trail tour in June for about four - five days.
Any thoughts on Louisville South KOA? Is it a sardine can?

Looking at state parks My Old Kentucky Home (not many good reviews) and Taylorsville SPs (great reviews). On the way out stopping at Land between the Lakes before arriving in Memphis.
Thanks all...Cheers
I recommend the Kentucky Horse Park Campground just north of Lexington, KY. I don't recommend this campground over others in the area, as I have not stayed at other (campgrounds) in the area, but this is nice. Have stayed there about 12 different occasions over the past 5 years as my daughter went to University of Kentucky.
navy1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #6

we stayed at General Butler SP last summer when we go to Nascar Kentucky speedway, its very nice and big, going back again this year
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #7

We stayed at Louieville South KOA a few years ago. Had a really nice spot with patio on the hill overlooking the play area. Very clean and nice people.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy1064 View Post
I recommend the Kentucky Horse Park Campground just north of Lexington, KY. I don't recommend this campground over others in the area, as I have not stayed at other (campgrounds) in the area, but this is nice. Have stayed there about 12 different occasions over the past 5 years as my daughter went to University of Kentucky.
Agree whole heartily about this campground, especially if you love horses. Can be busy though when something is going on at the park. Also, ask about water pressure. On our last visit, they were pushing 95 lbs and advising everyone to use a regulator. Good luck.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #9

KOA South Loiuisville

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
Agree whole heartily about this campground, especially if you love horses. Can be busy though when something is going on at the park. Also, ask about water pressure. On our last visit, they were pushing 95 lbs and advising everyone to use a regulator. Good luck.
We've stayed there. Sites aren't level. Sites weren't too close. Grandkids enjoyed the playground. Bath house must have been ok, because I can't remember it. For me, it was over priced. But that's just me.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #10

We did the bourbon trail a couple of years back. We had a wonderful time and have been back to that neck of the woods several times since.

A couple of pointers... schedule 5 days at least unless you want to feel pressured.

The campground are all so, so. None of them would be destination campgrounds, just a place to kick back in the eve around a fire and sip some of the bourbon you bought that day.

We’ve stayed at Louisville West KOA, Elizabethtown Crossroads, and White Acres campground. Most of the distilleries that you might want to visit tend to be pretty far south and east of Louisville so you need to take that travel time into account.

If I were going back today I would either stay in Elizabethtown or White Acres. Elizabethtown is nothing to write home about but it is just a place to hang your hat. It is not a bad campground but just a campground.

White Acres was adding a new section when we stayed there for the Bourbon Festival. I’m sure they are done now. I like the location of White Acres. It is on the edge of Bardstown which is the Kentucky Bourbon Heritage Center and Heaven Hill Distillery (did a nice tasting there, I don’t believe they have a tour) and a good central point to the significant distilleries. Again, just a campground.

The best tour we took was Jim Beam. Also toured Wild Turkey. We really liked
Makers Mark also. Barton 1792 distillery in Bardstown is a nice stop. Did mostly tastings at the other distilleries. Just a lot to do so make sure you have plenty of time and enjoy yourself.

Unless you are a super picky person any campground will work for you. As long as they are safe, we can stay most anywhere and I feel any of the campgrounds I mentioned are safe and clean. Enjoy your trip, I’m envious

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #11

We stay one night at the Louisville South KOA on our way back from our cross country trip. Nice, clean and not too close. Seemed like there were a lot of permanent residents.
A bit hilly, spots fairly level but could have been better. When we made the reservation, they told us the office would close at 5:30 and if we arrived later than that, our site info would be posted by the door.

2014 Jeep JK Rubicon
TINSEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #12

If you stay at the Horse Park, which I like, nice wide sites. During high summer, 30 amp service can have brown outs. Good idea to tie into the 50 amp service with an adapter. A couple trips back, the park was "selling" adapters for this reason. They would buy them back when you left. They just didn't want the liability of "loaning" out the adapters. Touring the horse park facility is worth the tour.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #13

Well we stayed at Fayetteville. Great place, did a lot of yours. Then Hillman Ferry #5 is best spot
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190618_120153.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	209939

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #14

Ah.. Taylorsville an tours. Spell check #$&-+()

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #15
Grammar Pedant

Try here. You may get better help on a regional camping question in a regional camping subforum, rather than a manufacturer-specific subforum.

Cheers.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINSEAST View Post
We stay one night at the Louisville South KOA on our way back from our cross country trip. Nice, clean and not too close. Seemed like there were a lot of permanent residents.
A bit hilly, spots fairly level but could have been better. When we made the reservation, they told us the office would close at 5:30 and if we arrived later than that, our site info would be posted by the door.

We stayed there 3 years ago, had s spot on the hill above the jumping mat. The only complaint I had was the WiFi kept going out. I did notice the area to the right had a lot of long term folks, but they were quite far from where we were. On a positive point, it’s located away from the city. Wasn’t impressed with with the city itself. Even the area around the race track was dumpy.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote