Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Brigitte

Kingston Ontario Canada to Camp Hatteras OBX

Time to start planning for the spring trip!!!
Fist time going to the outerbanks and wondering which route is best.
We will be going the last 2 weeks of April.
Should we take the route around Washington or the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel?
When routing both route on the google map, they both look to be about the same distance and time but worry a bit about the bridge-tunnel with the 5th wheel and also worrry a bit going around Washington.
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If it were me, I would stay away from the Washington Beltway. Coming down the eastern shore should be more scenic than I-95 to Richmond, and I-64 to the Virginia Tidewater area. But that is just me.

Or go 1 way, and come back another to mix things up. If you decide on the Washington Beltway, avoid the rush hour "parking lot". And if doing 1 way down, and another back, I think I would do the Beltway down......there always seems to be a backup at Hampton Roads going west on I-64. Also, avoid the Hampton Roads Tunnels on I-64.....again it seems to always be a backup. The tunnel on I-664 is much less used.

If you decide to do the I-95 to I-64 route in Virginia, I highly recommend using I-295 around Richmond. I-95 through Richmond can get hectic. Again, avoid the rush hours if possible, although I-295 is manageable even during those hours.

While telling you what to avoid, stay away from Friday afternoons, Saturday and Sunday mornings going to the Outer Banks from VA., and again Saturday afternoons and (especially) Sunday afternoons coming back into VA.

We did the Bridge Tunnel pulling our trailer last summer. Nothing to it, but I have pulled through the tunnels in Hampton Roads before. Gotta cut your propane off before starting the trek over the bay. I usually do that at the last expected rest stop before getting to the area.

My trailer is 9'10", so with the taller 5th wheel you might want to check out the Bridge Tunnel website. I can't think that it would be a problem, as truck cross all of the time, as most of those are 13'6".

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Brigitte

Planning the route with Rand McNally RVND 7710 and Google Map.
I like to follow the GPS but do not trust it 100% so I double check the route prior the trip. Google Map: 1-81S to 476S to 95S to 495S to exit 1 to merge onto US-13 S/N Dupont Pkwy toward Dover.
then follow 64, 168 ,158 and 12 to Waves NC Camp Hatteras
the GPS is all the same except it brings me from 495S exit 4A, then Christtiana Junction, SR-7S Christiana to exit 97 US-13
Then 17 Elizabeth city, NC-37, NC-94 to US-64E to S Virginia Dare TRL

That takes us around the Albemarie sound. I don't know why the GPS wants me to take that route

Which is best?
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote