Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #1

KOA Cherokee NC

Has anyone been to KOA in Cherokee? Wife and I have reservations in July and seems the route is somewhat challenging from directions and map. what route did you take? Have GT5, 34H5 so almost 38 Ft. Not towing.
wnewman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:32 PM   #2

that KOA seems to be in a fairly awkward and hard to get to location....certainly not on a 'main' road or anywhere that you would 'accidentally' drive by it... while it may seem close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the road route over to Gatlinburg thru the Smoky's, it's a challenge to get to - there are many other options in the Cherokee area that are much less of a challenge, and probably just as nice of a place to 'stay'.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewman53 View Post
Has anyone been to KOA in Cherokee? Wife and I have reservations in July and seems the route is somewhat challenging from directions and map. what route did you take? Have GT5, 34H5 so almost 38 Ft. Not towing.
You don't state where you are coming from but I have been to this campground over the the past 45 years more times than any other. I have been 3 different routes one time or another but usually come up thru Atlanta to US23 then 74. Other times I have come in from the east on I-40 to 74 and once from I-75 to 74. The road going to the campground is not bad but you will encounter tourist traffic going thru town. If you come in via I-75 there are some winding roads and some short somewhat steep grades going thru the gorge and some rafting traffic but it is still manageable.

If you are coming from the North, I would avoid US441 thru Smokey Mountains National park. Heavy traffic at times and many tourists don't know how to drive on mountain roads.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #4

Coming from Pigeon Forge TN Dollywood (West side) it is a 2 lane route (44 miles) but nothing to worry about if you slow down and enjoy the scenery. Curves and such no big deal and I drive a 38ft Georgetown with tow car
This is Routes 331 and 441.
Can't help if you are coming from any where else.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #5

Thanks for response. Coming from Roanoke, Va so I would be getting to 40 west then 74. Looks like the best route to take. Campground says not to go
Blue Ridge Pkwy or route 19. Plan on taking my time. Seems when I get behind wheel of MH I drive differently than my truck. Don't need to keep up with the traffic. That's why there are passing lanes.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #6

It's not particularly hard to get to, but there are a couple of things to help avoid the tourists. First, if coming from the east (Asheville side), don't take Hwy 19 from Maggie Valley over Soco. Pretty windy/steep road and lots of traffic in summer through Maggie Valley. Try to take 74 instead. But, you have to go up over Balsam Mt which is fairly steep. Lots of traffic sometimes, too, but 4 lane and easy. Once you hit 441 and drive north far enough to get to Cherokee, don't turn onto 441 at the KFC. Drive down over the bridge and turn left onto Acquoni Rd. This will put you on the east side of the river and I find it easier to drive it since there are less lights than on the west side of the river. Turn onto Big Cove Rd at Saunooke Village and drive very slowly through the tourist area. Then all the way up to KOA be careful (traffic and elk, especially at the school). This road can be narrow and windy, but it's easy.

If coming from Gatlinburg, just before you get to Cherokee, there is a small road that connects 441 to Big Cove Rd. It has a small bridge over the river. you can avoid Saunooke Village that way.

Have fun.

EDIT: ah, you posted your route while I was typing.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #7

BTW, I've done two routes from your area: 26 from Johnson City to Asheville; and 81 all the way to 40, then 40 through the gorge.

On 26 you'll have to go up a LONG ascent, and then down a long descent. If your motorhome can handle it, or you don't mind driving slow and low gear, I'd recommend that route. Very easy, but plan gas ahead of time. Also, getting through Asheville from that route can get a bit dicey due to sharp turns onto 240. Easy enough, but can get confusing if you've never been there.

40 through the gorge is also very easy. hardly any real inclines that I remember, but there are often problems through that area, such as traffic, accidents and rock slides.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #8

Thanks for the information and advice, helps me alot.
Wayne

Tags
cherokee