Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

KY campground info

We plan on spending some time in KY, the middle of September and would appreciate some suggestions on where to stay. We’re thinking of 1 night in Berea, and then touring the Mammoth Cave. It’s just the 2 of us so, no need for kid activities. However, hubby does insist on electrical hook ups.

We’d like to spend some time at the Spoonbread Festival in Brerea. I’m thinking Walmart wouldn’t appreciate us dropping the camper off while we do that.

After touring the Cave, we should have 4 – 5 days to explore other areas and are open to suggestions on things to do and see.
Thank you in advance!
2014 CTX1300
Raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #2

Near Berea is Fort Boonesborough State Park. It's a nice campground. If you are in the Lexington area the Kentucky Horse Park campground is very good. Also a lot to do there. We've stayed numerous times at the Mammoth Cave National Park campground and love it but there aren't hookups. We heard there are some good private ones around but I don't know about any of them. Our absolute favorite is Hillman Ferry campground in the Land Between the Lakes in far Western Kentucky (in fact heading for there Friday for 2 weeks). Most of the state parks have campgrounds and there are a lot. We mostly stay in the state parks or Corp of Engineer parks so I can't tell you much about the private ones.
dnmatt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #3
Always Learning

We've stayed a few times outside of Mammoth Cave at Diamond Caverns RV park. It's included in my Thousand Trails membership, so it's free. Nice place, though.

No AT&T service; only Verizon.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Singing Hills RV near Mammoth Cave is owned by my oldest brother and his wife.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #5

We found singing hills to be a great location.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #6

X2 for staying at the Horse Park near Lexington. The park is a destination itself. Also a good place to do part of the Bourbon trail, several of the distilleries are close. Keeneland race track if the ponies are running. Mary Todd Lincoln house in Lexington, U of K campus. Easy drive over to Louisville. Kentucky Toyota plant in Georgetown has a tour, short hop from the horse park.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
We are there now, in a beautiful site with a huge expanse of green grass outside our door. Gorgeous sunrises.
mellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #8
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellis View Post
We are there now, in a beautiful site with a huge expanse of green grass outside our door. Gorgeous sunrises.
I've never been to the campground myself. One of those trips I need to schedule in the future. Living in Iowa it's a long ways to go.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
I would love to do that... but maybe not so much in a dry county.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #10

Canal COE Park around Land Between the Lakes was very nice and inexpensive. Nice spaces and clean bath houses.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #11

Thank you all for the info. We're thinking of starting our stay at Fort Boonesborough State Park. It looks like an interesting area for motorcycle riding. So, we may end up staying in the area longer than the 1 night.

Our favorite campgrounds tend to be Corp of Engineer campgrounds. I was looking at Cumberland Point. But, saw some comments on a website saying the spots were short and unlevel. According to the COE website it looks just fine. May need to take a bike ride to check it out . . .

Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback.
2014 CTX1300
Old 08-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #12

It's about an hour from Lexington, but the Red River Gorge area and the Natural Bridge SP are really nice. We haven't been for a few years, but it was always good.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #13

We stayed in My Old Kentucky Home state park in Bardstown and then Ft. Boonsborough state park four years ago. We rented a pop up, so we didn't have to worry about the size of the sites.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raab View Post
Thank you all for the info. We're thinking of starting our stay at Fort Boonesborough State Park. It looks like an interesting area for motorcycle riding. So, we may end up staying in the area longer than the 1 night.

Our favorite campgrounds tend to be Corp of Engineer campgrounds. I was looking at Cumberland Point. But, saw some comments on a website saying the spots were short and unlevel. According to the COE website it looks just fine. May need to take a bike ride to check it out . . .

We've stayed at Cumberland Point a lot and it's a great campground with most sites being large and level. However unless you have a boat, there's not much to do there.
dnmatt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #15

KY campground info

Quote:

I think we stayed there one night...we arrived at dark...abandoned 1st chosen spot(front to back angle would scare anyone)...the next spot was fine, but short and hard to get into because of the angle and I was tired. I will ask the DW to confirm my memory....and the pedestal was bad...added extension cord to next spot(winter time).
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #16

Quote:
We plan on spending some time in KY, the middle of September and would appreciate some suggestions on where to stay. We’re thinking of 1 night in Berea, and then touring the Mammoth Cave. It’s just the 2 of us so, no need for kid activities. However, hubby does insist on electrical hook ups.

We’d like to spend some time at the Spoonbread Festival in Brerea. I’m thinking Walmart wouldn’t appreciate us dropping the camper off while we do that.

After touring the Cave, we should have 4 – 5 days to explore other areas and are open to suggestions on things to do and see.
Thank you in advance!
As others have provided, there are much, much better options that staying at the Berea Walmart parking lot or dropping your camper there. It is a pretty small lot, right next to the highway, not very easy to get in and out of in my opinion and is always packed. I'd consider the Horse Park, or Fort Boonesborough or any number of places besides Walmart. Just to drop your camper, I am fairly certain you could do that at the KY Arts Center off the Berea exit.

Keep in mind Berea is a small town with narrow winding streets. It is a college town adjacent to Richmond, KY, another college town. Traffic is busy on a good day, even worse with a festival that closes roads. (It has been several years since I attended the festival.)

Glad to have you visiting KY!
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #17

Quote:
From Mammoth Cave you are not far from Makers Mark in Loretto, KY, where an hour long tour and a sample of three bourbons cost about $10. Loretto is in the middle of nowhere and will be fun on a cycle. they have spent several millions of dollars in the past 2-3 years to upgrade the whole touring experience and is well worth the time to go there and learn the history and art of bourbon distillation.

From there not far is Lebanon, KY the home of Independent Stave Barrel maker... hour long tour, free last I heard, very interesting craft of barrel making for bourbon. Better call and get there early as they only give two tours a day... first come first served.

From there not far from Bardstown, KY, the heart of bourbon country in central KY. Bourbon Heritage Museum is free and tours of Heaven Hill leave from there. Another mile down the road is Willett Distillery. Another mile or two down the road is Barton 1792 distillery, which are free tours and samples.

Bardstown, KY has Old Kentucky Home State Park, a small but nice campground just outside of town. Find and eat at Mammy's Kitchen... best food anywhere in the area. Ask if Mammy is in the house and meet her. Also in town is the Talbot Tavern... very historical and great place to eat.

If bourbon is not your thing, then there is the Civil War Museum and Village in Bardstown, The Stephen Foster Home at the state park, and the Basilica of St Joseph Proto-Cathedral. The proto-cathedral is the first Catholic Cathedral west of the Allegheny Mountains. On January 9, 1974, the proto-cathedral was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tons of interesting and historical art there.

Or you can go north up I-65 to Louisville to the Louisville Slugger plant and Museum right downtown. See baseball bats being made and get a souvenir bat to take home. Not free and on busy weekends there may be a bit of a wait to get in.

Of course near the Mammoth cave is also the Bowling Green Corvette plant and museum.

I can go on and on, but there are plenty of things to do around that area in central Kentucky.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #18

Back from our stay in Kentucky! Thank you again for the help in determining where to stay. This was our 1st trip out of state with this camper and we had a great time We stayed at Fort Boonsbourgh State Park and an Army Corp of Engineer campground in Moutardier. Both were very, very nice. We didn't have time to do half the things we wanted to do. So . . . we'll have to go back!!
2014 CTX1300

Tags
mpg