Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Lake Gaston Resort - The Club

My wife and I went to a RV show and got a coupon for a free week of camping at Lake Gaston Resort in Virginia. Its a membership sales promotion but we think we're willing to put up with the pitch in exchange for the week.

My question is has anyone here been to Lake Gaston resort? If so I would like to hear your opinion of the experience.

Yorktown, VA

bwbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
I just tow the TT for DW!
Hi Bruce...I will give my honest opinion here, and this is my opinion only. We are Coast 2 Coast members and this is one of the seven C2C resorts in the state of VA. We went there two years ago, and to put it nicely, we were not impressed at all. Honestly, this is the worst looking campground we have ever stayed at. Again, this was two years ago so maybe things have changed, but almost the entire park is made up of older permanent sites, and the one section where "non members" sites were located was extremely tight to get into, narrow roads/broken pavement, uncut grass, and the sites were tiny. To top it off and what really turned us off, was the dock that we walked out on down behind the outdoor swimming pool area. It was April so that pool was not open, but the dock was so disgusting that we had to take pics of it, as we had never seen such a disgusting site. There was so much bird poop and dog feces literally from one end of the dock to the other, that we had to watch each and every step as we walked out on the dock. When we weren't side stepping the poop, you had to sidestep the missing boards on the dock as well. That along with the several run down permament sites, and we knew this was someplace we would never visit again.

To the places credit, they did have a fairly new building that had recently opened when we were there that contained an indoor entertainment center for the kids which included an indoor pool, a bowling alley, arcade, and indoor miniature golf. This building was nice and we had a good time there, as we had discovered this place prior to discovering the dock. Still it wasn't enough for us to want to visit Lake Gaston again. But again, this was two years ago, so maybe things have improved and others might chime in with a more recent report.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Lake Gaston Resort - The Club

Hi Bruce. My review may be different as I visited the club with Resorts of Distinction and not through Coast to Coast. I've been going to the Club for years (I met my wife there). The last time I was there was in February, last month. I'm from California and we have a lot of nice parks out here. Mountain Lakes in SoCal, and Bass Lake in NorCal are two of my favorites. In my opinion though, The Club is just as nice as those parks, if not nicer. I've done the cross country tour a couple times now going through about 35 states, visiting different parks in each state, and I still keep going back to Lake Gaston resort. I know the exact dock that Kamp K mentioned - it was in the same disrepair the last time I saw it (which to be fair was also a couple years back). Those geese love that dock, and they leave quite a mess on it. But I wouldn't let that tarnish your view of the entire park. I've stayed in several of the units there and liked each one better than the last. The clubhouse/restaurant/bar building is one of my favorite places on the resort. And even when I'm not staying at the resort, I drop by to visit when I'm in town (my wife's family lives on the same lake).

Another thing to consider, I learned they have a much smaller area of the park dedicated to Coast to Coast members (not sure why) than they do for Resorts of Distinction (which is who I was there with). So it's likely that you'd have a different experience with C2C than ROD.

Kamp K was also spot on about the new building (called the family fun center). It's a blast. I go there mostly for the bowling league, but I've played racquetball there before too. I also saw they have an indoor pool with a little waterslide for the kids, indoor tanning, mini golf, and not sure what else. There were a few doors I didn't peek inside, so I know there's more, I just don't know what. But it's an awesome facility.

My favorite thing about the whole place, and maybe you can blame this on being from California, is how nice everyone is. The people that work there, with Rare exception, are some of the nicest and most accommodating I've ever met. Oh, and my second favorite thing is how warm the water is there - the water in CA is freezing! I love going into the lake there.

Also, the pitch there is less of a "pitch" and more of a casual encounter. I haven't been through it, but I've sat upstairs in the clubhouse before while other people were and it all seems very low key. My opinion may be biased though also because I've gotten to know the salesman there. He sometimes hangs out for a drink at the bar when I'm down there. He's a really cool guy, loves the park, the area, and is really low pressure about the whole process.

Ask around, check it out. The best way to determine if you'll like it is if you go try it. If you live close you could even go to the restaurant and ask some of the locals there (my favorite night is Wednesday). I guess you could even ask about me if you go too. Some of the regulars there came to my wedding. My name's Michael and I'm from California, I married a girl I met there. If you tell them that most people will know who you're talking about.

Best of luck. If you do decide to visit the place, let me know how you liked it, I may see you there sometime.

jackincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Thanks for your input Michael and Kamp K. We will be trying the Club out during the kids spring break. Is the indoor pool open before Memorial Day? I'll update you on our experience when we return in a few weeks.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
We got back today after spending 6 nights at "The Club". We had a great time. The section that we stayed in was close to the clubhouse and not too tight. I saw the section that is tighter and a larger trailer than ours would have a tough time. We had the sales meeting Friday morning and your right Micheal, no pressure very casual. I was stunned when it was over without even asking if I wanted to join right then. He said just stop by later if you like. My wife and I were weighing the pros and cons and were very close to saying yes. Friday midday a group of about 10 people moved in and started drinking. About 5pm the very loud music started and very drunk people started making even more noise. Apparently there is no security on site or this type of display is considered acceptable. That left a real bad taste in our mouths and we were definitely put off by this and decide that this was not the place for us. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a few beers by the fire at night. But I don't intrude on the peace of others.

Fortunantly, Saturday night the drunken horde was much better behaved and we all had a good evening.

The family fun center was great, the shaded sites were nice. While there is room for improvement "The Club" is a very nice place. But I don't want my kids to be around people who have no consideration for others.

2012 Primetime Avenger 26BH
2001 Ford Excursion V10
Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
I agree with Kamp K this was one of the worst parks we have been to in a long time we are coast to coast members and we have camp here a long time ago also and it was nice but it has really gone down hill.

Cheryl & Don Simpson - Norfolk, VA
2012 Sanibel 3400 5th Wheel
2005 Ford F350 Lariat, Auto, 4x4, 4.10 Gears, 6.0 Powerstroke, Reese 16k Hitch, Firestone Air Bags
Nights Camped in 2012 - 14
Sanibel 3400 is offline   Reply With Quote