Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
Always Learning

Lake Glory and Knoebels

Just made reservations for a weekend at Lake Glory at Knoebels in Catawissa, PA. We went to Knoebels for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. We were actually there for a 3 or 4 days. We're headed back this year with my sister and her calamity of a family (the 2 adults and a combined 5 kids ).

We did J&D Campground last time, mixing it up this time to try out Lake Glory. Got a water/electric/sewer site.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #2

Have fun! I live 20 min from Knoebels and it's always a good time. Enjoy the new coaster!
stitchinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

We've stayed at Lake Glory and really enjoyed it there. We also stayed at the Knoebles Campground next to the park... Boy... Getting in and out of our site was quite the experience... Never again. We saw the J&D Campground and it looked very nice. Next time, maybe.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #4

We have driven through the Knoebels campground and thought the same thing about getting in and out. Cramped quarters. I imagine its also very noisy there.
stitchinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #5

We have stayed at Lake Glory a few times, in fact this year we will be there too July 13-16. The kids love the park and so do we. It's only about a 1.5hr drive for us just up I-80. Never tried JD but, I heard that's nice too. Lake Glory is just far enough away, they do have the shuttle but, we ended up driving everyday, it's free to park anyway. The people there are super friendly at the campground and accommodating to the needs of the camper. We booked a Sunday-Wednesday and it wasn't overly crowded, I hear on the weekends it really fills up good during the summer.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

We have also stayed at Knobles campground. Have not had any trouble getting in and out. Have been in the lower section (a little noiser) and the upper section. Trying Lake Glory this year also, because of full hookups. Does J&D have a shuttle to the park anyone know.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #7

J&D does not have a shuttle, I know know that because I was going to stay there with a MH once but, didn't have a car with us so we stayed at Lake Glory and used the shuttle that time. Now, with the TT, we just drive the pickup to the park.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

Would love to hear your report on Lake Glory after your stay. Knoebel's is so close, that it's usually a motorcycle trip and not a camping trip--plus every time we're there, we say "that campground is way too busy/loud/etc." So other options are always good.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
Always Learning

J&D does not have a shuttle.

I wanted the hookups, so Knoebels' campground is out for me.

I'm excited for the new roller coaster- it just seems dang cool!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #10

Everything is cool at Knobles. My wifes family is from Elysburg and she was born in Shamokin so she has many memories of Knobles as a kid. We have been going as a family for at least 35 years, and it amazes me to this day how they keep recovering from storms. I know they get tremendous volunteer help during those times of crisis. I can sit for hours at the Merry Go Round and listen the the Organ.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #11

Lake Glory is fine plus if you want full hook ups that's your only choice, J&D is great also so both good choices. We will stay in the Canadian section if we stay at the Knoebels campground. We were there last year the weekend they opened Flying Turns, neat ride but sometimes a long wait, next year they are getting another new coaster. Great park and great people, enjoy
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #12

We are are staying at lake glory for the first time this year over July 4th. Full hookups was the deciding factor. Can't wait. Sounds like good reviews from everyone here.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
Always Learning

We really enjoyed our weekend camping at Lake Glory this past weekend. The first site that was assigned when I made the reservation ended up backing up to the entry road & camp store and with little dude who makes breaks for it- it just wasn't a good fit. Since they were uber empty, we talked to the front desk and they gave us 5 or 6 full-hookup sites that we should fit on and told us to go ahead and take our pick. We ended up on site #104. The employee mentioned that it was a "pull in" site (I guess for motorhomes- we would have just pulled out through the grass). But I backed in to give us a little more privacy. Close to the playground and shuttle pickup. We really liked it and I'll try reserving that site again. The downside was that our hookups were in front of the camper, so I didn't hook up sewer (not that I needed it for a weekend).

To be honest, given this site- I think I liked Lake Glory better than J&D. The only thing I would have missed if it were later in the year was a pool. Lake Glory didn't seem to have one.

We had 11 of us in the camper on Saturday night and had a fantastic time. It was my sister's blended family and mine. Knoebels was fantastic, though the lines for the new roller coaster were averaging 2 hours. If you want to ride it, get there when the park opens and make a beeline for it. We didn't and missed out. Guess we gotta go back!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 AM   #14

Don't plan on Lake Glory getting a pool, from a source I know they don't want one there as with it you are less likely to go to the park. Lake Glory is still a nice place especially if you need full hook ups, glad you had a good time.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We really enjoyed our weekend camping at Lake Glory this past weekend. The first site that was assigned when I made the reservation ended up backing up to the entry road & camp store and with little dude who makes breaks for it- it just wasn't a good fit. Since they were uber empty, we talked to the front desk and they gave us 5 or 6 full-hookup sites that we should fit on and told us to go ahead and take our pick. We ended up on site #104. The employee mentioned that it was a "pull in" site (I guess for motorhomes- we would have just pulled out through the grass). But I backed in to give us a little more privacy. Close to the playground and shuttle pickup. We really liked it and I'll try reserving that site again. The downside was that our hookups were in front of the camper, so I didn't hook up sewer (not that I needed it for a weekend).

To be honest, given this site- I think I liked Lake Glory better than J&D. The only thing I would have missed if it were later in the year was a pool. Lake Glory didn't seem to have one.

We had 11 of us in the camper on Saturday night and had a fantastic time. It was my sister's blended family and mine. Knoebels was fantastic, though the lines for the new roller coaster were averaging 2 hours. If you want to ride it, get there when the park opens and make a beeline for it. We didn't and missed out. Guess we gotta go back!
Wish I'd have known you were in my neck of the woods, I'd have bought you a beer for all your good advice on the Companion! Hope you had fun, and dressed warm--it's unseasonably cold here in PA at the moment. Must be all the global warming...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Wish I'd have known you were in my neck of the woods, I'd have bought you a beer for all your good advice on the Companion! Hope you had fun, and dressed warm--it's unseasonably cold here in PA at the moment.

Ha! I wouldn't subject anyone to the calamity that is our group when my sister's whole clan is along.

Yeah, it was chilly but we had a good time. Both data were warm enough for short sleeves when the sun was out and sweatshirt weather when the clouds were out. It was toasty warm by the fire Saturday night.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Don't plan on Lake Glory getting a pool, from a source I know they don't want one there as with it you are less likely to go to the park. Lake Glory is still a nice place especially if you need full hook ups, glad you had a good time.

That's what I figured about the pool and reasoning. It'll be our future decider between Lake Glory and J&D and that really comes down to how long our trip is- if we're just doing park days, we'll do LG. If we have down day(s), we'll do J&D.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #18

I heard the same comment about Lake Glory and the reason it probably won't have a pool. We booked site #108 this year and we stayed at the same site last year. It's right across from one of the bathhouses. It was really roomy at the site too. This year, we will have 4 adults and 4 girls under the age of 5! Not sure what I was thinking when we invited some friends this time. It will be a good time though either way since we will be camping.

I noticed a huge difference in the crowds at the park from Weekend to Weekday so maybe we will get lucky with the roller coaster when we go. However, it will be summer so who knows.

Good follow up on the experience from this past weekend, as always it's appreciated by all.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #19

We booked lake glory for 4th of July this year, sites 7 & 9. First time.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post
We booked lake glory for 4th of July this year, sites 7 & 9. First time.

Which 7 & 9? They repeat their numbers, so you need the road name, too.

I think mid-week will help crowds-wise, but I'd still try to hit the roller coaster right away. I was surprised at how fast the Twister coaster was. It was fast for a coaster and impressive for a wooden one at that. Unfortunately I don't like wooden coasters (I feel like they beat you up) and was "forced" to ride with my teenage niece a second time so she wouldn't have to ride alone. Once was good for me.

That said- I could ride Stratosfear over and over and over. I never tire of that ride!