Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #1

Leaving soon! First time

We are gearing up all day today to head out in the morning. First
time in the camper. Got reservations at Cape Woods in Buxton NC. Will be staying till Sunday so we are packing and packing. Been getting ready for weeks now and I am thinking we might be ready before nightfall, except for packing the food stuff. Gonna turn the fridge on in the early a.m. and hopefully it will be cold by arrival.

Can't wait!
Equal-I-zer
samsc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #2

Have fun and travel safely.
Debbie
Old 07-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsc03 View Post
Gonna turn the fridge on in the early a.m. and hopefully it will be cold by arrival.
Huh ?? You probably need to cool the fridge at least 12 hours ahead of putting food in it......I presume before you leave ?? The long cool down allowance might be needed with this brutal heat wave we are experiencing on the east coast.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Huh ?? You probably need to cool the fridge at least 12 hours ahead of putting food in it......I presume before you leave ?? The long cool down allowance might be needed with this brutal heat wave we are experiencing on the east coast.
You may want to turn it on at least a day in advance of putting food in with the temps we are having now.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
You may want to turn it on at least a day in advance of putting food in with the temps we are having now.
Kim, I guess I was a little optimistic. Normally mine cools down in about 6 hours, but this heat will definitely prolong the cool down. I got 99 F in the shade right now, while I sit in the AC. And you be 75 miles south of me.....gotta be hotter.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #6

Well it's 100 in the camper right now! Should we turn that sucker on now?

Be leaving about 8:30-9:00 to Hatteras and plan on taking about three hours getting there or so and making stops to allow it and the driver and vehicle to take it easy being it is so damn hot. I was not gonna put food in it till we get there if it is cool enough.

We got two full 20lb tanks on this trailer but I was still wondering how much LP gas the fridge really uses. Can someone help us with that?

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 07-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well it's 100 in the camper right now! Should we turn that sucker on now?

Be leaving about 8:30-9:00 to Hatteras and plan on taking about three hours getting there or so and making stops to allow it and the driver and vehicle to take it easy being it is so damn hot. I was not gonna put food in it till we get there if it is cool enough.

We got two full 20lb tanks on this trailer but I was still wondering how much LP gas the fridge really uses. Can someone help us with that?

Sam and Tonya
Yep, you might want to go on and start that puppy cooling.

The fridge on ours doesn't seem to use much gas, so with 2 20 lb. tanks you should be good to go. Betcha you don't even use 1 tank. I haven't got but 4 propane fills in the last year and 1/2........and I run the furnace on really cold nites when the temperatures drop below 15 or so.

Since y'all live in VA. Beach, I presume that you know you have to cut the propane valves off before going through any tunnels ??

Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #8

Ok thanks, We won't be going through the tunnels to get to Hatteras from Va Beach. That's the other way. Gonna go hook it up. Let ya know our trip goes. Maybe some pictures.
Equal-I-zer
Old 07-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ok thanks, We won't be going through the tunnels to get to Hatteras from Va Beach. That's the other way. Gonna go hook it up. Let ya know our trip goes. Maybe some pictures.
Good Luck. Pictures are always good.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #10

Just got back ya'll. We had a great time. Planning on uploading the pictures soon. Truck did fine,camper did even better. Found a few more parts we need to make the whole deal easier. Made about 12-13 MPG.

We needed a ninety degree dump hose end and a longer hose. We found that right there in town five minutes away! Just need one of those hose support slinky things so I don't have to work the fluids to the end. Seemed the grey tank would get to 2/3 full in no time so having all that will be sweet so all we got to do is hook up the dump hose and open the valves. Hot water works great,although the shower curtain does not work at all. We had over a hundred channels, tv questions we had ya'll covered that well and no problems with at all. Even weathered some nasty storms and enjoyed the waves afterwards. I highly recommend this campsite. We are ready to go back, got a reservation for Bethpage's crab fest late August so we will be READY.

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 07-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Thumbs up

Sounds like you had a great time.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote