Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

Leland NC to Canadian side of Niagra Falls

My wife and I are planning a trip from Leland NC to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls this summer. We would greatly appreciate any tips/suggestions anyone can provide like dos and don'ts, suggested campgrounds on the Canadian side, etc. This will be our second relatively long trip so we are still a bit new at long distance RVing. We will be traveling in a 2016 Forester 3011DS towing a car. Many thanks.
JerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

A lot of folks like to stay on the US side at the KOA on Grand Island. It's a pretty easy run to the Falls from there. However, with the Canadian dollar at about $.75 US it's hard not to enjoy the exchange rate bonus. While at the Falls be sure to stop at the Floral Clock and the Ontario School of Horticulture. Both are an easy run up River Road. If you continue on from there you can go to Niagara on the Lake which is a very cool little town at the mouth of the Niagara River. The jet boat ride through the Rapids is pretty thrilling if you don't mind getting totally soaked with cold water.

Enjoy your foray into our little corner of the world!

Ed
Old 03-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #3

My DW and I stayed at Campark which is on the Canadian side. We were there for 5 days. There is a shuttle that stops right outside the park and takes you to the falls. IMHO the Canadian side has the best view of the falls and there is more to do there.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #4

We like Four Mile Creek campground, it's not to far from Niagara Falls. We went last year and made a stop in Inercourse PA on the way, its Amish country. We live just up I-40 from you. We had a good time. We also went to Bar Harbor Maine that trip. We saw the view from the Canadian side of the Falls
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #5

Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated
Old 03-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #6

Thank you for the info. Sorry, but what does IMHO stand for?
Old 03-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #7

Thank you for the info. It sounds like you made the same trip we are thinking about by also going to Maine.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #8

I wanted to get my fill of lobster, IMHO stands for in my humble opinion
Old 03-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #9

Thanks. The lobster is also why we want to go to Maine.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #10

We did the Niagara Falls then to Acadia NP, Bar Harbor, ME last year. We stayed at the Niagara Falls KOA which was great. The KOA and a couple other parks are on the shuttle bus route to the falls. You can get a four attraction ticket package that includes 2 days of shuttle service, definitely worth it. These are on the Canada side which offers the best views of the US and Canadian Falls. You want to take the shuttle because traffic and parking is awful! I thought Niagara on the Lake was overrated, just a tourist trap IMHO. If the weather is good there is an outside patio upstairs at the visitors center which provides excellent views and your favorite adult beverage. They light the falls on the Canadian side at night which is worth going to. We spent a day on the US side which we enjoyed also quite a bit different it is a state park and is setup that way, Canadian side is a tourist and commercial destination.
As for Bar Harbor take a boat trip and the carriage ride in Acadia NP, make reservations ahead for the carriage rides. We stayed at Narrows Too in a water front lot excellent location. Thurstons Lobster Pound and Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound are excellent. Jordans Breakfast in Bar Harbor has great blueberry pancakes and syrup. Typing this makes me want to go back! Fabulous trip! Happy to provide an additional information since we Just went. Make reservations campgrounds in the northeast book quickly! Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #11

Niagara Falls

Our trip to the falls last summer was on our way home to NC. We stayed on the Canadian side and really enjoyed that. You already have good campground recommendations. We liked having the shuttle service. It was worth every penny. There is a rainbow effect that occurs every afternoon on the Canadian side, it seems...@4pm or so. Awesome. Walk under the falls, take the boat to the mouth of the falls. Do the walk that follows the river. All exhilirating.
This is War of 1812 territory. So much interesting history here. Go to the fort and the historic sites along the way, like McKenzies Printery, Laura Secord House, McFarland House, Old Fort Erie. There is a sound and light show in town and at the falls, at night and it is beautiful. The stops that we made on the way back were all great:
Letchworth State Park (electric only) sites. Fabulous water falls, easy hikes,scenic drives, and interesting history. It has been rated as one of the top 10 state parks in the US.
Herkimer, NY - We stayed at the Herkimer KOA and spent a day at the Herkimer diamond mines, across the road...and found, after much work, a lot of Herkimers. This KOA is a resort KOA and it was very nice.
Hershey, PA - OK, this was a great chocolate stop and we were also there for the RV show. We had a great time in the taste testing program and made our own chocolate bars. Stocked up on chocolate gifts for everyone.
Staunton, VA - Shenandoah Natl Park. We breezed through, this time...but it is a beautiful place. Great local restaurant in Staunton called Rowes.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerJ View Post
My wife and I are planning a trip from Leland NC to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls this summer. We would greatly appreciate any tips/suggestions anyone can provide like dos and don'ts, suggested campgrounds on the Canadian side, etc. This will be our second relatively long trip so we are still a bit new at long distance RVing. We will be traveling in a 2016 Forester 3011DS towing a car. Many thanks.

I don't know much about camping in the immediate area of Niagara Falls, but just a little further West, in the Brantford/Cambridge area there are some very nice campgrounds run by the Grand River Conservation Authority. Lots to see around that area as well.

Your mention of Bar Harbor brings back memories- first time we had a travel trailer, Dad decided he'd had enough of tents. That was about 60 years ago- time to go back.

Whatever you do, have a good trip.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #13

I will second 4 Mile Creek SP. We live in the area and camp there for quick get away weekends. On a clear night you can see Toronto across the lake and the Falls attractions are 15 minutes away.
t.simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:37 AM   #14

The last time I was up their the Canadians customs gave me such a hard time I will never go back and now since 9 11 I have heard its worse
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #15

I crossed the border last year I Montana into Canada and all was great. Now coming back in to America was another story. We had to pay to get back in plus it took longer
Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #16

border crossing

I guess we were lucky, since we did not have any problems at any border crossings, last summer. One thing we did learn was that you need to stay in a car lane and not get into the truck lane. We were confused by the fact that we were in a truck, pulling a fifth wheel. The truck lane is for commercial only. Yeah. It was an adventure.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I crossed the border last year I Montana into Canada and all was great. Now coming back in to America was another story. We had to pay to get back in plus it took longer
What did you have to pay?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #18

I forgot, it wasn't much. Leaving cost nothing but coming back did. We just drove around in Canada for a little while and came back the same day
Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #19
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I forgot, it wasn't much. Leaving cost nothing but coming back did. We just drove around in Canada for a little while and came back the same day
Why did you have to pay?

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Why did you have to pay?
I'll continue the questions / interrogation..

WHO did you have to pay... LOL

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote