Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #1

Long Island, Ny Info Needed

My wife is participating in a 1/2 marathon in Uniondale , Ny., which is on Long Island, this coming Oct. We are currently formulating our travel plans. I need to know if there are any restrictions or issues with pulling a travel trailer to this area.

Woodall's indicates there are 2 RV parks in the area, both which are county parks. I have not check into them yet. One thought is to stay north of NYC as we will be heading to Maine after the race.

Any info and /or suggestions will be appreciated.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #2

Long Island is full of 'Parkways'. No commercial vehicles allowed of any kind due to low bridges and narrow exit/entrance ramps. When I lived there, we saw a tractor trailer a week stuffed under a bridge. Uniondale is near the north/south Meadowbrook Parkway - you won't be able to use it. Plan on the LI Expressway and Sunrise Highway as your only east/west alternatives.

Also, you'll have to cross the Hudson River (George Washington bridge if using I-80) and either the Throgs Neck or Whitestone bridge to physically get on the Island. All of the bridges have propane restrictions (must be OFF).

Bring your wallet. The bridge tools are huge. You pay by axle and they count every one of them - sometimes twice. I have a Quadra Steer pickup truck and they insisted it was a dually because of the rear fender flairs and that I should pay more. Made her get out of the booth to count the tires as I wasn't paying more. Heard a few horns that day.....

Good luck. Drivers are a bit 'different' there and seem to have a patience problem with large, slow moving vehicles. Keep smiling at them and ignore the horn blowing.

-from a native Lawnguylander

Old 04-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. One of the options we are looking at is staying outside of NYC then driving to Uniondale. May even look into doing a motel for one night. The bulk of the trip will be Maine any way. Thanks again.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to jerr7
cinrock, I take exception of the way you look at Long Island, maybe you talked that way.I been a city and long Islander all my life. Maybe the school you went to all spoke like that but some of us received a quality education. Im still on The Island today and love all of it.Depending where KZ is coming from he has alternatives . No real parks on the island except further out on east end if you can get a reservation. You may want to stay around the catskill area. They have a nice KOA near newburg ny , or maybe a Jellystone park called Lazy River also in Newburg AREA.There isnt any real campgrounds where your going thats suitable.I have known many that stayed in NJ which ,I beleive its called Liberty but if you need help i would be glad to send you the info.Depending where your coming from you could come over the Varrazzano Bridge, onto the Brooklyn exp. into the LIE as we call it . Yes you will pay tolls .Seems maybe Lawnguylander forgets where he came from. Youll find that most city and islanders are friendly and will help. Good luck and as i stated if you like ill try and give you places that may suite you w/o too much of a hassle.
jerry
http://community.webshots.com/user/j...host=community
jerr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #5

Based on the message above, I felt it was only right to comment on the "Quality" education jerr7 speaks of. I have taken the liberty of doing a "couple" corrections for you. I made 50 changes. Maybe I missed some.

Bill
Another Long Island Education

Cinrock, I take exception of the way you look at Long Island, maybe you just talk that way? I have been a city resident and Long Islander all my life. Maybe at the school you went to everyone spoke like that but some of us received a quality education. I’m still on The Island today and love all of it. Depending on where KZ is coming from, he has alternatives. There are no real parks on the island except further out on east end if you can get a reservation. You may want to stay around the Catskill area. They have a nice KOA near Newburg NY, or maybe a Jellystone park called Lazy River also in the Newburg area. There aren’t any real campgrounds where you’re going that would be suitable. I have known many that stayed in NJ. I believe it's called Liberty but, if you need help, I would be glad to send you the info. Depending where you’re coming from, you could come over the Verrazano Bridge, onto the Brooklyn/ Queens Expressway to the LIE, as we call it . Yes you will pay tolls .Seems maybe “Lawnguylander” forgets where he came from. You’ll find that most city and islanders are friendly and will help. Good luck and as I stated, if you like, I’ll try and give you places that may suit you w/o too much of a hassle.
Jerry

threemusketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

OK guys, lets get back to the question on the 1st post.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to jerr7
good to see your more interested in the corrections, maybe you would like to know more about me i been camping for 30 years . Im here in Ronkonkoma if you like to chat about camping i be glad to do so . After all i didnt see any info that you might give to help a fellow camper.
http://community.webshots.com/user/j...host=community
jerr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #8

I'm not interested in the corrections as long as the message gets across. I just got a bit P'd Off by the comments regarding the previous post about education. I apologize for the flame. By the way, like Long Island or not, I believe Cinrock's post was right on, unfortunately. KOA Newburg would be my suggestion. Happy Friday!!
threemusketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #9

WOW! Guess I hit a nerve.

I'm just saying that some people in the rest of the country may have some culture shock when coming to the NY metro area.

For the record, I spent 35 years of my life on Long Island and consider it home. I also traveled extensively for work and got to see a good chunk of the West, New England and the Midwest where the OP is from. Every region is unique and has a culture all its own.

Oh, I noticed I mispelled tolls in my original post. Guess I did not receive a 'quality' education, or maybe I'm just stupid because I live in the South now....

kz08h5, enjoy your trip and I hope the wife comes in first! And please enjoy the food when your one the Island, its the best.

Have a great weekend y'all!

Cinrock is offline   Reply With Quote