Old 01-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #31

Disney World Campground

We are thinking about a few nights there in early November. Does anyone have suggestions as to good area on the grounds. We have a 23' Shamrock and would like pull through, if possible. I'm still learning how to back up. But now I have a camera I can put on trailer bumper to help when my DH can't make up his mind as to which way I should turn the steering wheel.

Not sure we would be going to the park but we plan to meet up with some friends from England staying at their Disney timeshare.

Bonnie

Old 01-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #32
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbon View Post
We are thinking about a few nights there in early November. Does anyone have suggestions as to good area on the grounds. We have a 23' Shamrock and would like pull through, if possible. I'm still learning how to back up. But now I have a camera I can put on trailer bumper to help when my DH can't make up his mind as to which way I should turn the steering wheel.

Not sure we would be going to the park but we plan to meet up with some friends from England staying at their Disney timeshare.

Bonnie
For Disney World, they have their own campground called Fort Wilderness. Late November is a popular time with Thanksgiving, so it's best to make reservations as early as possible. Check the fine print, but their cancellation policy is very forgiving.

There are a variety of local/non-Disney campgrounds. Being a Thousand Trails member, I go to the TT Orlando park and have been very happy with it.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #33

Is Thousand Trails campgrounds or just a group of campers?

We do plan to go early November. I was just looking for a spot close to bus stops or river boat to get over to DW and then maybe over to the timeshare to see our friends. I see that they have lots of "loops" and some are pet friendly and some not. We like to camp with out 2 small dogs.

We might leave them in daycare at the kennels on the grounds or an overnight if necessary. I need to call and check on what is available and the hours.

Taking them with us could be cheaper than leaving them in Atlanta since we would have to consider 4-6 days travel time. I do the driving and don't like to do too many miles in one day, 300-400 is fine. We live in Wisconsin but left our trailer in Georgia for the winter.

Bonnie
Old 01-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #34
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbon View Post
Is Thousand Trails campgrounds or just a group of campers?

We do plan to go early November. I was just looking for a spot close to bus stops or river boat to get over to DW and then maybe over to the timeshare to see our friends. I see that they have lots of "loops" and some are pet friendly and some not. We like to camp with out 2 small dogs.

We might leave them in daycare at the kennels on the grounds or an overnight if necessary. I need to call and check on what is available and the hours.

Taking them with us could be cheaper than leaving them in Atlanta since we would have to consider 4-6 days travel time. I do the driving and don't like to do too many miles in one day, 300-400 is fine. We live in Wisconsin but left our trailer in Georgia for the winter.

Bonnie
They are campgrounds around the US (mostly along the coasts):
Thousand Trails: How RV Reservations Works

You pay a flat yearly fee and that includes X amount of days per year. They break up the US by zone. Lots of little rules and some good campgrounds, some bad. Some love it, some hate it. It all comes down to if it works for you.

As for Fort Wilderness, the 100 and 200 loops sounds like they'd be good for you. Walking distance to the boats. And the buses have stops throughout the campground.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhslh View Post
If you don't mind dry camping or have a generator we LOVE to camp at Assateague National Park in MD. It's so quiet, the beach is never crowded, you can kayak on the bay, wild ponies wander through your campsite, and it's a 5 minute drive to all the amenities at Ocean City. For a GREAT lakefront camping experience I suggest Promised Land state park in PA. Amazing!!!
+1 to Assateague. Although we stay in the State Park right next to the Natioanl Park. But hookups are limited. Only one of the 7-8(?) loops has full hookups.
We are former tenters who don't mind dry camping for a spot on the beach. It's literally on the back side of the beach dune. And you have the beach to yourself.

'07 Chevy Silverado
'07 Chevy Tahoe
'11 HW27sc
jw34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #36

Not on the ocean, but have you looked at Point Lookout State Park in MD? It is on the spit of land where the Potomac River runs into the Chesapeake Bay. You have water on both sides. Some of the campground loops have water front sites, some are in the trees, some have services, some have none, some allow pets, some don't, some are FHU, some are partial. There are nice updated bath houses, lots of fishing, great nature center for the kids, ranger programs for them, boating, canoeing, crabbing, etc.

There is a lot of history associated with this place. It once housed a Civil War prison camp and a resort community back in the 1800s. There is a lighthouse to tour, beach on the Potomac River and a smaller on the Chesapeake.

Our DDs, 10 and 7, LOVE this campground and we spend each June there. We are also close to DC and do several day trips into the city for sight-seeing.

Tags
mpg