Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #1

looking for campground suggestions!!!

I'm looking for a beachfront campground on the east coast(lake is good, but ocean preferred). I've been trying to Google ideas, but I figured here is the best place to get suggestions!!! Last year we went to Myrtle Beach Travel Park, and it was AMAZING, but want to find a place a little closer/less expensive. We live in western PA, and want to keep the drive no more than 8 hours. It's just us and our 2 little doggies. Just want to find a fun, laid-back place to relax, have some drinks, play some games and enjoy the scenery. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

Castaways in Ocean City MD is on a bay and not far from the ocean.

Ocean City Maryland Campgrounds | Castaways RV Resort & Campground in OC MD

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #3

I would second Castaways. We stayed there in April last year. Very close to Assateague island where the wild horses are. Campground is very clean and looks like they renovate quite often.
We've been staying at Lakewood Campground the last several years over 4th of July. Awesome campground with lots of amenities. We travel from Pa. just to have the 84 degree water!
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #4

We live in Eastern PA and head to the Ocean City, Southern Delaware area usually once a season since it's a shorter drive to the beach.

There are not a ton of choices of waterfront campgrounds compared some some beach areas like you have experienced in perhaps Myrtle Beach but, there are still some nice ones like the folks have mentioned.

If you are a veteran or a guard, reserve, or Active duty military member there is a really nice place to stay in Bethany Beach. We love it there but, have stayed at both Lakewood and Castaways as well and like those too.

I haven't ventured to the Jersey shore as far as camping goes but, I have heard alot about the Cape May area for camping.

Let us know what you decide and give a review.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Try "RV Park Reviews.com"

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

If you are looking for something closer, Big Timberlake is in NJ and is very nice. 5 minute drive to Avalon Beach, and about a 20 minute drive to Wild Wood Boardwalk. There are many campgrounds all along rt.9 in Nj. Our favorite is Big Timberlake, though.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #7

Agree with Tiggerdad. Try RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks. Some good info and reviews.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #8

NicelyRoo, what campground did you stay in while in Myrtle Beach? We are thinking of heading there this April and hope to bring the 2 grandchildren as well as 1 or 2 or our little dogs. Did they by any chance have cabins to rent as well?

Bonnie
Richbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbon View Post
NicelyRoo, what campground did you stay in while in Myrtle Beach? We are thinking of heading there this April and hope to bring the 2 grandchildren as well as 1 or 2 or our little dogs. Did they by any chance have cabins to rent as well?

Bonnie
Check Ocean Lakes and Pirateland. I've stayed in both and really liked them.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #10

Shinny, thank you for the information. Those are some big campgrounds. We should be able to get a spot in early April. I just have to learn how to read that map on Ocean Lakes!

Bonnie
Richbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #11

Don't let the map scare ya! It's not that bad once you get inside. They will lead you to your site and help you get situated. The times I was in Ocean Lakes, I stayed in section HH, with my TT. In Pirateland I stayed on site 227. I wasn't sure how we would get to our site in PL, but they took us there and helped me back in. They saw that I was comfortable and started telling me that they pull a golf cart a week out of the lakes and the week prior to my visit, someone went right off the edge with their camper , There are a lot of posts about both places in the forum. I like both places alot but favor Ocean Lakes. My DW favors PL. I hope it helps.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #12

Otter lake in the Poconos. They have a lake beach. Very nice campground. Drove through it last year and will be staying there over Memorial Day this year.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #13
Always Learning

It's well beyond your 8 or 9 hours from western PA, but in Florida, there is a campground right on the water:
Welcome To Beverly Beach Camptown RV Resort | Beverly Beach Camptown

In Maryland, I feel like either the state or national park at Assateague is quite close to the beach. Very limited hookups (only electric at one or the other).

I actually don't know of anywhere else that's on the water. None of the NJ campgrounds that I know of are beachfront.

I just found this from Google:
Ocean Front RV Parks in Virginia | USA Today

I also found comments on this one, "Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina".
Old 01-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #14

We really enjoy the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Our favorite place is Camp Hatteras Hwy 12 @ Mile Post 40.5 between Rodanthe and Waves, NC. It's a 50 acre facility with campsites on the ocean and across the highway on Pamlico Sound. There are protecting sand dunes on the ocean side so you can't see the ocean from your RV. On the sound side you get some of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen. Good staff very good facilities. In the same area is Ocean Waves Campground at Waves,NC. Much smaller with only 68 sites. Many of the people there are serious surf fishermen. Several very good restaurants in the area.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #15

I found this one:
Bar Harbor RV Resort - Maryland

it's on our list, especially since we live near it.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #16

Hunting Island State Park is beautiful, the beach is great. But be careful. The reserve america map is not accurate. It makes it look as if some of the campsites are very near the ocean. In reality, they are quite a hike!
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #17

Richbon we stayed the myrtle Beach Travel park. It's in North myrtle which is really nice because it is away from the really touristy area. Absolutely LOVED it!!!! Highly recommend!!!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #18

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!! I'll be checking these out =)
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #19

Another vote here for PirateLand. If you want a quiet location Frisco Woods Campground in Frisco (near the Hatteras Lighthouse) on the NC Outer banks has a beautiful view of the Pamlico Sound. Beautiful sunsets.
ckbdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #20

Two more state parks to look at: Edisto Island near Charleston, SC and Huntington Beach near Myrtle Beach. The beaches are beautiful! Once again, look at maps to try to get spots near the beach access points. Also, have to book early!!!
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg