Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2015, 09:19 PM   #21

We are crazy about Destin West Resort! It is on the Bay side if the peninsula but right across the street from the Gulf. Beautiful resort, well manicured and of course the beach is amazing. Destin has some fabulous restaurants and tons of shopping. Always something OR nothing to do.
CardinalQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #22

I have never been, but friends of mine in Ohio make the trek every so often to spend spring break at Henderson Beach State Park: https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Henderson-Beach

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #23

First be aware that in February, the Panhandle can still be chilly , especially at night. Are you looking for full services or willing to dry camp?

I loved Appalachicola National Forest but most if not all camping areas are primitive and you are pretty far from the nearest grocery or gas station. By Primitive , i mean o electric or water at sites

Lake Seminole on the Florida/GA border is really nice. Corp of engineer campgrounds and 1/2 price for seniors.

Pine log state forest, near intersection of routes 20 & 79 offers sights with water and electric and its in close proximity to Panama city beach. A little rustic but the price is right.

I'm not a beach guy (prefer shade) so I'll let others comment on those
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #24

If you are seeking warmer weather, you need to come farther south. The Panhandle is still chilly/cold in Feb. Check out the Ortona South, Corp of Engineer park in LaBelle, Fl east of Ft. Myers. The campground is located at the Ortona Lock along the Okeechobee Waterway.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #25

I spent two weeks at Ortona in January and enjoyed it. I had too make reservations 6 months in advance though. You might be able to get a walk up site but if you can't then not a lot of other choices.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #26

This is my third winter down here and I've learned that if you want a site, especially a "good site" then it pays to reserve far in advance. Especially the further south you go
Old 02-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #27

In Okeechobee is a fantastic high end new resort, Silver Palms RV Resort. Excellent specials for first time visitors. We stayed there 6 weeks dead of winter last year. Beautiful gates, pavers, pool, clubhouse, library etc. something going all the time. Worth a shot! You will not regret it! They sell sites but no pressure on sales.
Little pricy after your special runs out!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #28

Many many thanks

Lots of thank yous to all who have replied, many great suggestions. we are headed down next Friday (20th) on our scouting trip and will check out all of the great suggestions.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #29

For those traveling north or south thru southern Georgia stop over recommendation. Exit 5 off of I-75. Camping World, huge new store. 1/4 mile, next door, level pull thru sites, full hook up for $26 a night. Trees, pavement and concrete pads. Good family diner just on opposite side of 75 via the crossover. At exit 2, RV Island Pilot or Flying J ( forgot name). They have plenty of room, no reservations taken. It has become our new stop over going to FL out of N Atlanta. You might want to add them to your lists.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #30

All the state parks mentioned are great! I would add Grayton Beach we also really like, hard to get in though. 30-A is a great place to visit, lots of places to bicycle. Fort Pickens is also really good, part of National Sea Shore. 2003. Sunseeker 2800
CWOdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #31

One more comment Pensacola is home to Pensacola Wahoos -Cincinnati Reds AA Affiliate
CWOdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #32

Florida beaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWOdom View Post
All the state parks mentioned are great! I would add Grayton Beach we also really like, hard to get in though. 30-A is a great place to visit, lots of places to bicycle. Fort Pickens is also really good, part of National Sea Shore. 2003. Sunseeker 2800
X2. FYI, dump station, no sewers. Bath houses are very clean for showers. Our last stay was 10 days. We all washed in Rv but showered at bath houses.
Washed dishes outdoors on sunny days, military style. (3 tubs in a row)
Waste food; soap wash, clear rinse. Bought 3 small plastic tubs at Walmart cheap. Grand daughter looked forward to helping post meal clean up. 😊
Rainy or stormy days used paper plates and plastic utensils. Not our favorite choice. Did not need to DUMP prior to check out! Dump station is VERY HANDY PULL THRU NOT IN CAMPSITE AREA. Well planned camp ground. Bring a looonnnngg chain for a portable sattelite finder. Lots of trees.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #33
rd3

Subscribe to this great info for future trips
rd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #34

I also have stayed at Emerald Beach RV. Very nice with a spot right on the beach with our own deck. I highly recommend.
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #35

Carabelle Beach a fav so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkaiser View Post
This is my 5th year at Carrabelle Beach RVC and it is great. Great clean park that has access to the beach that is never crowded, great office folks.
KK
After visiting 5 different parks between Carabelle and Destin we like Carabelle the best so far. The State Parks are nice but you only get a 15 day stay and have to leave for 24 hours which doesn't fit our 75 day plan. Will check Emerald Beach and others west of Destin tomorrow and Tuesday. 67 degrees today, partly sunny, nice to walk on the beach. Is the air here always full of powdered sand? It's been real hazy both days
Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #36

Emerald Beach #1 on our list

Visited Emerald Beach today, found another couple from Cincinnati that had been there 2 weeks. What a nice campground and super nice staff. They are booked first quarter of 2016 so it may be 2017 before we can stay there but at least I'm on a wait list.

Found a very similar campground east of Emerald Beach. If EB were a 10 then this other campground would be a 9. Can't recall the name, map is in the car at the moment but this one would be second choice in Narvarre Beach.

Back in Carabelle tonight, will check out Ho Hum tomorrow.

Tags
mpg