Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

Looking for campgrounds in Lancaster, PA area?

New member to forum. Have a 2011 390 QS Berkshire motor home. Wife & I planning a trip to the PA Dutch country next year. Staying for 4 - 5 days. Looking for a nice campground in the area to work out of during my visit. Also, heard the eating is fantastic! Best advice always comes from people who have been there & done this.

Thanks!

Chester Hill
Chester Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #2

Lake In Wood Camping Resort has always been a great place. I would say 8 or 9 out of 10. The previous owner was a meticulous man who took extreme pride in everything. I believe it is now owned by Sun Resorts. I have not been back in the last few years since the ownership change but definitely worth looking into.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #3

There are many nice campgrounds in the area. We stay at Beacon Hill every year, using our camper and renting the park model for my parents.

It is small, no amenities except for hook ups, and I believe is 16 yo or older. The owners are super nice. Each Saturday an Amish mother with children come around selling homemade deserts and vegetables. It is located close to everything.

We used to stay at the Lancaster KOA. While nice, I wouldn’t recommend it. Owners are nasty. Prior to my parents staying at the cg with us, they stayed at a local motel. We wanted to have them over for cake and coffee (my mothers 80th bd) and the cg charged us $12 to have them there for an hour. Not like my 80 yo mother was going to use any amenities there!

When you go, check out Sight and Sound. I believe Jesus will be still playing...an amazing show!

Also Check out the Strasburg rail museum. It’s is among the best.

Lancaster is a nice area to relax. You’ll enjoy it!
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #4

Country Acres and Roamers Retreat. Both on route 30
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #5

Download the Allstays app.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #6

Old Mlll Stream Camground is our favorite... We stay there 3 to 4 times a year.
Also KOA Lancaster is another good one we go to at least once a year.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #7

We stayed at Country Acres Campground, Gordonville, PA. It is a nice campground.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #8

Country Acres or Old Mill Stream
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #9

I recommend the Park Adviser app to locate CGs.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:42 AM   #10

Spring Gulch

You can’t get any closer and central to real Amish country than Spring Gulch Campground in New Holland. It is a huge resort with very large sites — wooded or not is your choice, but the wooded sites in the 1500 section are the best. If you go to their website, you can check out the amenities. The only thing on that list of amenities that is wrong is they list a billiards/game room, which they no longer have.

From Spring Gulch it takes 11 minutes to drive to Intercourse and 15 minutes to drive to Bird-In-Hand. It is about 25-30 minutes from the city of Lancaster.

The scenery in the immediate area is beautiful.

There is also the New Holland KOA which is about 1 mile from Spring Gulch. It is much smaller with less amenities. I have never stayed there (but I have been there), but it has good reviews. The sites are much smaller than those at Spring Gulch. There are very few wooded sites, but the non-wooded sites are atop a hill with a 5-mile view of beautiful (mostly Amish) farmland.

Bruce
Old 11-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #11

Flory's just east of Lancaster is very nice, just north of Route 30. Close to the heart of PA Dutch country. Strasbourg Railroad is nearby, and operates live steam trains daily. You cannot find better food anywhere else in the country. The Amish are the most generous people on earth. Try to find out if there is a local auction going on while you are there. Also, take a trip to the Gettysburg Battlefield. My great-great-grandfather Michael Jacobs was a professor at Gettysburg College when the battle was fought there. His memoir was the first published account of the days of the battle. His home is a national landmark in the center of the village of Gettysburg.

We have visited there many times, and the experience still gives us chills. Our daughter Jenny believes there are ghosts there, and I agree.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #12

Campgrounds in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

We have been going to Lancaster, Pennsylvania for many many years. We always go to White Oak Campground in Quarryville, it’s centrally located too many attractions in Amish country as well as outlet shopping and country stores.
White Oak Campground has some beautiful sites for a reasonable price right in the heart of Amish farm lands in it’s only a couple of miles from the sight and sound theater as well as an Amish auction house right next-door that you can walk to.
Enjoy your trip!
Jamesr7332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #13

New Holland KOA which is just down the road from Spring Gulch is a nice - simple campground that is more adult oriented. Not many amenities for kids - usually very quiet compared to the more active Spring Gulch.

Also, you can't go wrong with Lake in Wood!

We've camped at all three within the last year or so and enjoy all three.
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #14

Sill's Family Campground. 30ish miles away but nice people. 2 plus months there this year.
1984fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #15

We stayed in Country Acres and found it to be very convenient to everything. The only drawback, and this strictly would depend on the time of year you’re there, is the motorhomes & some of the longer TT’s are placed where there is no shade- completely level campsites, but no shade. We were there in the fall so it wasn’t hot during the daytime & your AC didn’t run continuously, so it didn’t present any issues for us. We enjoyed having the convenience of the large vegetable stand at the entrance to the campground. Lancaster isn’t a hard place to find your way around and there are plenty of really good places to eat. While you’re there, be sure to locate Yoder’s Chicken Pot Pies (they make them right on their farm) but be sure to get there early as they sell out. One of the best pot pies I’ve ever eaten! Note - you bake these yourself. After we spent time in Lancaster, we moved on to Gettysburg for a week but drove (in our tow vehicle) back to Yoders and got 4 of these to place in the freezer & bring home with us. If you like trains, Strausburg is just a short drive from Lancaster - a really cute town, & home of the PA railroad museum. You can spend the entire day there and even take a train ride if you’d like. We found it to be a fascinating way to spend the day!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #16

Now the food:

You’ve already received info on many of the campgrounds in the Lancaster, PA area. Since you mentioned food, let me offer this: check out Shady Maple Smorgasbord on Route 23 just east of Blue Ball. Go there on your birthday and your meal is free. Enjoy the Lancaster (and Berks) County areas.

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 w/Timbrens
5.3L V8 3.42 Gears Reg Cab 8' Bed
Curt Trunnion WD Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopie1 View Post
While you’re there, be sure to locate Yoder’s Chicken Pot Pies (they make them right on their farm) but be sure to get there early as they sell out. One of the best pot pies I’ve ever eaten! Note - you bake these yourself. After we spent time in Lancaster, we moved on to Gettysburg for a week but drove (in our tow vehicle) back to Yoders and got 4 of these to place in the freezer & bring home with us.
Just a note: while in Lancaster County, if you ask for pot pie, you will not get a pie. You wil get a chicken stew with noodles in it. That’s what pot pie really is. Yoder’s pies (not pot pies) are really good, but you might want to try Zook’s pies as well. They make chicken, beef, and sausage with cheese. These are the pies most of my Amish friends in Lancaster County buy. These, too, are unbaked and you will want to go back for more.

Bruce
Old 11-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #18

Lake in Wood is our local favorite and are big rig friendly.

Spring gulch is nice as well. Sites in the 1500 and 1600are nice but check if they are big rig friendly

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #19
Chief tinkerer

We stayed at Pinch Pond in Manheim. Seemed to be right in the middle of wherever wanted to explore. Beautiful countryside.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #20

We have stayed at Beacon Hill a few times, it’s nice. Also we have stayed at Flory’s also nice. We enjoy Lapp Valley Dairy for delicious ice cream, homemade waffle cones. Fresh milk and butter and cheese. The ice cream is to die for. We also enjoy Bird in Hand bakery. We enjoy Shady Maple Smorgasbord, needless to say nothing is open on Sunday. The cheapest place to buy fuel when I went was Shady Maple, they have everything plus sell RV’s. I went by one Sunday I figured Shady Maple would be opened because it’s a huge place to eat at, it was closed. I figured while I was there I would buy fuel even though the station was closed, all I had to do was swipe my card, the pumps were off. The Amish there are a little different, there bikes doesn’t have pedals. Also some Amish use mules and some only horses. Some Amish won’t have anything that wasn’t on the Ark, mules were not on the Ark. it’s quite and peaceful and we really enjoy listening to the horses trotting.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg