Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 06:51 AM   #1

looking for Destination Suggestions

Some time in Jan. we are taking our first open ended road trip (where we don't have to plan on getting back for work, I'm retiring). Heading south from NY and looking for destinations. We've done Disney, Cape Kennedy, ect, in Fl before but don't know much else in the " lite jacket and warmer weather belt". Our style of road trip is to check out an destination for a few days then move on to the next. Traveling in a MBS 2400r so boon docking for a few days is no problem.
Skip51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:00 AM   #2

You might look at Charleston, SC, Savanna, Ga, Fla. Panhandle areas. All will have campgrounds that are open year round. You could easile spend a few weeks just running the length of the Fla panhandle, staying at some really nice campgrounds and seeing the sights. Also, Gulf costal areas of Alabama and Mississippi. Everything pretty much open, and won't be too crowded.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #3

Thinking about do the same thing from Michigan to Florida in February. I was told you need to be south of Orlando for the warmer weather. The panhandle is a nice area, but is much cooler January thru February.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:03 AM   #4

I agree with previous post if weather in Jan/Feb in the FL panhandle. We have been in February a couple of times once it was sunny in the low 70's during the day. Next year it was rainy and in the low 60's. Still wasn't cold per say and no snow.

Have you looked at Texas Hill Country as a possible destination?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
travelwithkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #5

You might consider heading west for Texas, Arizona, etc. Good luck!
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #6

I would check out St. Augustine, Destin, Pensacola, etc.. in FL. Also central florida has some very pretty springs and rivers, Ichetucknee, Royal, Troy, Ginny, Blue, Poe, and Little River springs to name a few.
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:30 PM   #7

Florida Destination

First of all CONGRATULATIONS WITH YOUR RETIREMENT
We usually spend 3 months in FL in different places. I do agree the Panhandle can be cool but that's ok with me. You can't shovel sunshine
I hear the Keys are absolutely beautiful. That will be one of our trips soon. However this year we will spend 3 weeks in FL to visit with family THEN we are heading West and hope all the way to CA. We will be taking our time and enjoying many areas. Being retired we worked hard and deserve to enjoy our friends and family. My first husband worked very hard and died at 57 too young. Enjoy and spend time with your spouse and family as much as time allows. Even bad experiences can make us laugh. Let us know where you ended up and remember
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #8

Have a great retirement. Decide what you interest are. Go to MyFla.com and look at what there. Don,t forget the county parks. Many places to get coupons. Most places you have to ask which discounts they accept.
If you don,t have the golden age pass I would get one. Enjoy and have fun.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #9

X2 on heading for the Atlantic coast then down FL to Key West and up the Gulf coast. Then follow I-10 etc. across southern TX, NM and AZ. Perhaps by then weather will be warmer if you wish to head north to Las Vegas, L.A. and follow the coast all the way to Seattle. The possibilities are endless and don't over plan your adventure!
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretm View Post
I would check out St. Augustine, Destin, Pensacola, etc.. in FL. Also central florida has some very pretty springs and rivers, Ichetucknee, Royal, Troy, Ginny, Blue, Poe, and Little River springs to name a few.
Add Silver Springs SP to that list. We were just there and it has one of the nicest campgrounds in the Florida SP system. The Springs are cool too. Rent a kayak so you can paddle down to see the monkeys too.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:18 PM   #11

Lots to see and do in New Orleans. We drove from Michigan last year and got on a cruise ship then spent some time in NOLA.
This year in late Feb. we are driving to Mobile, taking a cruise then driving into Florida timing it so we can catch some preseason baseball and catching some rays along the way.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #12

You didn't mention your departure point, but we've done 5 east coast to west coast and return trips from New Jersey. The one winter trip we did took us south to the Carolinas, Georgia and North Florida. Then west on I-10 all the way to California. We diverted north and south many times to see what seemed interesting, and saw some of what we missed on the way back. We stayed as far south as possible to avoid really cold weather, and except for some rain, the only time we had cold (28 degrees) was one night in Las Cruces, NM. We had a little snow in Tucson, but it warmed up quickly. We've spent 3-4 months on the road on each trip, we've spent nights in all 48 contiguous states, except for Oklahoma (I'm not sure why we missed OK), and we've gone back to some of our favorite spots several times. Its a wonderful country with marvelous people, so go and enjoy it.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:01 PM   #13

Don't miss the opportunity to visit Washington DC and all its fantastic attractions. Then visit Charlotesville, VA for tours of Monticello and Montevideo. Asheville, NC has the best BBQ on earth, plus the Biltmore Resort. Fort Sumter in SC is worth a side trip, and many more attractions in and around Atlanta. Don't rush down the East Coast to FL.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #14

On facebook look up average campers. They tour and post all state parks in Florida. Lot of nice ones. Get the America the Beautiful pass, seniors get it for $10.00 for a lifetime pass.
CraigS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #15

I would stop at Ft. Clinch SP, in Fernandina Beach, then St Augustine, Jetty Park in Port Canaveral is nice. Lion Country Safari in West Palm is very different. There is a very nice KOA south of Miami, north Homestead that we like. There are many RV parks in the Keys, but they are all pricey. San Carlos Blvd in Ft Myers has a few nice campgrounds, and there is plenty to do. Between there and Panama City Beach, there are many campgrounds, but I have little experience with them. Panama City Beach has a great state park, St Andrews. All this being said, the campgrounds are often full, and it is high season as prices go. Good luck
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote