Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #1

Looking for Sea-Side camping in Maine or New Hampshire

Hi everyone

We are looking at taking a trip down to Maine or New Hampshire this summer. Can anyone recommend campgrounds that are on the shore (ocean view) that are clean & quiet? We only need 2-way connect.

Thanks so much

Randy & Sharon
Nova Scotia, Canada
Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #2

If you want a nice quite campground on the Maine Coast you couldn't fine a better one than Sunset Point Campground close to Harrington Maine. the owners are great couldn't ask for a better host in a campground. Its only 30 miles from Bar Harbor only a day trip to Canada and the Rooservelt- Campobello Int. Park, A day trip to Freeport and LL Bean or to Portland. The owner will pick up a Maine Lobster fresh from the boat and even cook it for you, if you want.

We planned to stay here a week but liked it so much we stayed a month and took a lot of day trips
Click image for larger version

Name:	9-8-11 Sunset Point CG Harrington Maine.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	14469

This is the office the owner lives just behind the office. If you notice the red box on the table the owner put tomatos from his garden in the box they were free just take what you need don't be a hog

Name:	Copy of 9-3-11Sunset Point CG Harrington Meaine 1 (2).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	14470

A veiw of the campground most are full hookups a few with only elect & water, they have a dumpsite if needed. The full hookups are $30 a night or $15 if you belong to Pass Port America

Name:	9-3-11Sunset Point CG Harrington Meaine 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	14471

These are views from the window of our 5th wheel

Name:	9-3-11Sunset Point CG Harrington Meaine (2).jpg
Views:	143
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	14472

Name:	9-3-11Sunset Point CG Harrington Meaine (1).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	14473
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
traveler

I totally agree with Billy. We stopped there on our first night of a 5 week tour of North Eastern US and found it quiet, clean and very picturesque.
I couldn't get over the competitive pricing on wine. An easy days drive from Nova Scotia. Have fun and check our Bar Harbour

"We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
Pico Iyer
reinreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #4

On the way to Maine two great campgrounds that overlook the water are Ponderosa Pines in NB. It is located vary close to Hopewell rocks and have sites that overlook the bay. Another nice place to camp is at St. Andrews NB. The campground is the Kiwanis Oceanfront Campground. We have camped here several times and you can see the water from most of the sites.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #5

Thank you Billy Bob & Reinreb - this is great feedback. We will definitely check out Sunset Point when the time comes.
Caper - I've heard of the cg in St Andrews however the Ponderosa Pines is new to me but very interesting sounding. I have a cousin up that way so I may try to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks everyone - very helpful. Great forum.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
On the way to Maine two great campgrounds that overlook the water are Ponderosa Pines in NB. It is located vary close to Hopewell rocks and have sites that overlook the bay. Another nice place to camp is at St. Andrews NB. The campground is the Kiwanis Oceanfront Campground. We have camped here several times and you can see the water from most of the sites.
I think we may stop at the St. Andrews NB campground you just mentioned. sounds really nice
thanks
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
These two sound like nice places to stay. What are their prices and do you have any photos of the campgrounds
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #8

Recompense shores campground is on a nature preserve, down the road from a state park, in the tidal flats overlooking the bay in Freeport Maine. Close to the LLBean shopping area (10min) but still in a wilderness area.

It's been a few years since I was there, the very best sites are tent ony, but many of the other sits are also coastal view. Clam diggers will be seen in the flats at low tide harvesting alongside great blue herons and other aquatic birds.

Not much for hookups, it is mostly primitive with vault toilets but I have head they have recently put in some new bathroom/shower facilities.

Coastal Maine and New Hampshire is a massive tourist destination so many of the coastal campgrounds resemble larger field type RV layouts designed fr high capacity - shady, spaced apart sites are few and far between until you get out of southern Maine and into Downeast Maine. It gets better north of Boothbay Harbor and into Camden and Bar Harbor.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #9

I do not have photos or rates but you can google the campgrounds and get more info. While we were at Ponderosa Pines a moose can down to the tidal flats.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote