Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

Loop recommendations for Ft Wilderness??

Looking for some advice on Ft Wilderness in October / November. I know I will get a million great opinions and probably will be happy where ever.. But we will be with a 3 year old. We will be bringing our bikes to pedal if needed... She loves the pool, but we are here to go to the Mouse House!! Thanks!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

We stayed there in April in loop 800. The girl working that day had suggested it and it was great! The location is perfect. It is a short bike ride to the big pool, so that may make your daughter happy. It is close to the bus route. The bike ride to the trading post is not too far either. We rode our bikes there and caught the boat over to the Magic Kingdom, which allowed us to avoid the bus ride over. Be sure to have lights, both front and back, on your bikes so you can ride after dark. You ride on sidewalks, so you are not in traffic. The 900 loop and 600 loop are also in the vicinity. Some sites are on a canal on the 600 loop, as well as some others, which might not be safe with little ones. Have fun!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Thank you, canal is a good thing to avoid with a fearless 3 year old...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
Always Learning

For us, if the parks are the primary reason for being there (and for us, they are; the camper becomes a glorified hotel room), we prefer the "Preferred" sites and end up on loop 200.

You're better off posting this to www.FortFiends.net with a little more info about what you want to be near and how big of a camper that you have.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Also the fort fiends have an app you can download with pictures of every camp site at fort wilderness as well as the size of the site and how easy/hard it is to back into. I second fortfiends.net for any question fort wilderness related.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #6

we like 1400 it is close to the activities in FW. 500 and 600 are for campers with dogs...near the dog park.
i did not know about fortfriends..sounds like it would be helpful. Our last trip in Aug ,we could not get in the space...had to get another and that was a hassle. if you are towing ... get a space with an angle...90degree spaces are difficult because the roadway is so narrow. Some are off the curve in the road..some of these you can back right in. It is a old park, but nice, and i have never seen a pull through
samcunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #7

If you don't have dogs, loop 1100 is GREAT! Large landscaped sites, walking distance to the store and the large pool and there's a bike trail that connects Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge. There's also a direct boat to the Magic Kingdom. We're celebrating our 50th anniversary with 3 weeks at Fort Wilderness plus a week Disney Cruise in Jan/Feb --our 36th trip to the KINGDOM!
solera rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

Not sure when you'll be there, but our church group has our annual camp out there the first weekend in November. We usually have two full loops, sometimes three, so you may not be able to get into Loops 1500 and 1600 if you happen to be there at the same time.

I'm attaching a map of the campground that shows the loop locations and layouts in case it will help you. You can see where the various things like the pool, etc. are located on here. Also, there is a free app for your iPhone called Fort Wilderness Sites; it will give you a run down on each individual site (dimensions, etc.) as well as a photograph of most sites. Very helpful.

Honestly, I don't think there's a bad site in the place, though obviously some are better than others. Great place to stay with the family - have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fort Wilderness Campground Map.pdf (657.6 KB, 105 views)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #9

Yes, bring the bikes

The place is huge so bikes are helpful getting around but they do run buses if you getting a bit tired. The buses run within the campground.

We often stay in site 800. It seems to be the most convenient for us, close to the pool and Meadows trading post and dog park (we bring along the furry family member). You don't have to have a dog to stay in a pet loop.
The 800 loop is a Premium so the campsites are larger. We stayed in loop 300 (a Preferred loop) before and it was a bit more cramped. Not as big of a camp pad - more sand landscaping. The Premium sites cost a bit more but you get a huge camp pad.

With the little one be certain to watch the Wishes show from the beach. Arrive early and get your spot and catch the water nighttime pageant

I have many of fond memories of my stays at FW. You'll love it!

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #10

We are headed down from PA in November. It's our first time with the kids (4&3) and with a camper. I'm on fort fiends as well, good info site. As you see you will get recommendations for just about every loop. I figured we would just chance it and see what we get and then survey the place for our selves for next time. From all the suggestions I'm pretty sure they are all good. I plan on renting a cart for cursing around so location is no big deal.

2015 Nights Camped 32
2014 Nights Camped 21
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
2014 Cherokee 304 BH
Goose killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

Goose killer: Might want to reserve the golf cart now. They can, and often do, run out. Have fun.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:32 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose killer View Post
I plan on renting a cart for cursing around so location is no big deal.

If you can, rent offsite. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than renting from Disney.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If you can, rent offsite. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than renting from Disney.
When you rent off site, do you have to bring it in yourself? I recall reading that FTW did not allow outside vendors to drop off carts anymore.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeItEasy View Post
When you rent off site, do you have to bring it in yourself? I recall reading that FTW did not allow outside vendors to drop off carts anymore.
Yes you do but companies like Tee Time really help with that. It's worth it and a whole lot cheaper than FW rentals.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeItEasy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
Yes you do but companies like Tee Time really help with that. It's worth it and a whole lot cheaper than FW rentals.

bgilly's got it. I even have learned that they have plans in case you don't have a vehicle with a hitch to bring the cart in.

Some hassle, but way way cheaper.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #16

I have one reserved for our week with tee time. Got the tip from fort fiends a while ago. I figured it wouldn't be to much hassle picking it up. DW will want to run to the store to pick up some groceries after the drive down anyway.

2015 Nights Camped 32
2014 Nights Camped 21
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
2014 Cherokee 304 BH
Goose killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Well 1.5 days until shove off... Had to do a winterizing of the trailer this weekend since it was 26 at night... But now it is 70 again. Leaving for the mouse house on Friday late morning. I'll keep and eye out for some fellow FROGS in Ft Wilderness then TT Orlando after the 30th!

Thanks all for your insight and help!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #18
7 Year Class A RV'er

Have fun! We are in AR now, TX next week then back to Orlando on the 2nd, then out to the Fort on the 5th for four nights. Should be really nice weather there for you - we've never winterized our RV's over the past six years!

Old 10-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

Well, I am jealous, but we will need to winterize for the next 15 or so years until the little one gets the boot... Then I think we will be off to the rv life as well. Thanks, be safe on the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #20
7 Year Class A RV'er

Oh, no.....no full timing for us! We live in Orlando (17+ years now) and just take two six week trips a year for grandkids plus short trips in between. Retirement is great, though!