Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #1

Luray, Virginia (Dry camping)

Can anyone recommend either a national park, state park or private campground in the Luray, Virginia area?

My family wants to dry camp in October to enjoy the turning leaves and the sounds of nature. There will be two tents and I am bringing my 233s. We don't want to be near generators all day and night which is why I am asking for your recommendations.

V/r,

Dave
drs244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Big Meadows or Mathews Arm on the Skyline Drive. Generators are allowed only certain times of the day.....I think 8-10am, 4-7p. Both campgrounds also have generator free zones. We like Loft Mtn. on the Skyline Dr., but that is a right fur piece from Luray.

Camp Roosevelt is in the George Washington National Forest near Luray. It only had 10 campsites, 1st come, 1st served. You can check out all Nation Forest Campgrounds here: Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds

If you really want to get away from it, there is a dirt road at the top of New Market Gap on Rt. 211 that runs the spine of the Massanutten to Rt. 675 (near camp Roosevelt) that crosses the mountain between Edinburg and Luray. You can camp anywhere in this area, at least that was so the last time I was there.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
This might help.
Camping - Virginia Is For Lovers

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #4

mtnguy & dimurrrw,

Thanks for the ideas, I'll look into your suggestions and ask more if needed later.

V/r,

Dave
drs244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but Country Waye Campground is just outside of Luray. Our friends have stayed their many, many times and recommend it highly. We have not stayed there yet so cannot tell you our personal experience.

Also there was a place I found whilst googling that was down on the actual Shennendoah River but as I recall the reviews weren't too snappy.

Roger & Dawn M.
2011 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8315BSS
2004 Ford Excursion
Nights camped in 2011: 27
Nights camped in 2012: 34
Look'in To Ecapé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look'in To Ecapé View Post

Also there was a place I found whilst googling that was down on the actual Shennendoah River but as I recall the reviews weren't too snappy.
If you were referring to River Side Campground ( Riverside Camping - Home), I think that it is mostly seasonal campers there now. They pull the campers close to the road during winter case the river gets high.

I rode by last nite, and it looked to be booked, with campers packed in there pretty close....but I guess no closer than most of your commercial campgrounds. The campground is about 100 yards wide by several hundred yards long, with Rt 340 on 1 side and the river on the other.

You can always call and check them out. The Page Valley is great......I should know, I grew up there.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #7

Yep, I grew up in Luray too. All my immediate and extended family still lives there with the exception of my sisters.

Roger & Dawn M.
2011 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8315BSS
2004 Ford Excursion
Nights camped in 2011: 27
Nights camped in 2012: 34
Look'in To Ecapé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look'in To Ecapé View Post
Yep, I grew up in Luray too. All my immediate and extended family still lives there with the exception of my sisters.
Southern end of the county here....Shenandoah.