Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
a 2 or 3 night minimum on holiday weekends is pretty much the standard. Nobody should be surprised to find this out. It's a big weekend for the campgrounds, they put out money for festivities, they need to keep their sites full.
And that's all fine and good if they choose to have to have that policy, but if you confirm a customer's reservation in violation of your own policy becasue your employee doesn't know any better that's different.

Not much sympathy if the OP was turned down when asking to make the reservation, but to cancel it weeks later is a little different. No business wants to leave revenue on the table, but sometimes its better to take a hit rather than lose a customer and get the bad publicity that is is all too easy to put out there on social media and the web these days...

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
And that's all fine and good if they choose to have to have that policy, but if you confirm a customer's reservation in violation of your own policy becasue your employee doesn't know any better that's different.

Not much sympathy if the OP was turned down when asking to make the reservation, but to cancel it weeks later is a little different. No business wants to leave revenue on the table, but sometimes its better to take a hit rather than lose a customer and get the bad publicity that is is all too easy to put out there on social media and the web these days...
I totally agree here. If you entrust an employee to take reservations, then you should honor their mistakes to a point, as long as the employee didn't overstep their duties, which it doesn't sound like they did. If you pay an employee to answer the phone and take reservations, then you should make sure the same employee is trained in your policies before allowing them to answer the phone.

I also agree it's bad management on two parts. One, on improperly training their employees on the policies....and two, on not honoring a previous made reservation, which is just good customer service.

A kind of similar thing happened to me at a Residence Inn a few months ago. I always get suites with separate bedrooms when taking my 20 y/o daughter with us so she can have her privacy. I booked a suite like this to attend the State Fair online the morning I was leaving.

When I got there that evening, the manager on duty found my reservation, but informed me the day manager had forgot to take the room type I reserved out of the system and there were none like that available now.

I informed her of why I had to have a suite and told her we had a problem. She looked right back at me and said "No Sir, we don't. Give me a sec."

She then proceeded to give us two rooms (instead of one), and this way my daughter had her own room and bed. She then just marked each room down to the price which would equal half of the bedroom suite, so the money was the same. She also informed me she would take this up with the person who made the error, and if there was any heat, it would be on him. This is customer service, and I was a happy customer who will continue to stay there.

-----------------------------------------------------
There is also another possibility at this campground though. This manager who accepted the reservation, may have made a mistake but was properly trained. Their error could have possibly been about to cost them personally somehow (ie bonus), hence they are the one who canceled the reservation and blamed it on the owners. Just food for thought.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #13

I was just stating that it is pretty much normal practice. I didn't say that this particular situation was handled properly. That reservation should have stood.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #14

We all make mistakes and the person taking the reservation might not have realized that the time of arrival was a long weekend. When the mistake was discovered they called and let you know. If you only want one night you could go and pay the three night charge and leave after one night.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
We all make mistakes and the person taking the reservation might not have realized that the time of arrival was a long weekend. When the mistake was discovered they called and let you know. If you only want one night you could go and pay the three night charge and leave after one night.

That makes no sense to me. Op is in the right and he reservation should of stood. Campground is being greedy and has cancelled his reservation. It's there mistake they should own up and eat it. Why should he be forced to pay the three nights and only stay one night???? Huh????
Old 04-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #16

I agree. They should honor your reservation, fire the employee who made the mistake and take the extra day out of their paycheck....
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #17

Fire them over that? The employee didn't destroy their camper, just made a mistake on the reservation. Just honor it and move on.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #18

Did I miss something? The OP never mentioned if they were even offered the third day BEFORE the reservation was cancelled (maybe even at a reduced rate). Maybe saving a little money would have allowed them to enjoy another day in the long weekend.

But, I agree, MANAGEMENT/OWNERS should have honored the mistake even if the OP didn't or couldn't stay the third day. Good customer relations always goes a long way.

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote