Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Columbus 302 rs

Luray Virginia KOA bad management.

Made a reservation in early March for Memorial weekend and received confirmation the next day.
Over two weeks later the manager calls me to inform me that the owners want a three day reservation and she didn't know about this policy therefore they were cancelling my reservation.
One of the signs of really bad management is when they don't stand behind their employees or have documented policies. Feel sorry for this manager as she is working people who lack any integrity.
I would stay away from this campground as my experience is a sign to believe they aren't going to deal honestly with campers.

You'll have a much better experience at Shenandoah River State Park for a fraction of the price.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

we spent a week at the Yogi park in Luray last July. Awesome place. Wonderful staff. Right between town and Skyline Drive so the view was great.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

We love this place:

Shenandoah Valley Campground Staunton/Verona I-81 Exit 227 - Verona, VA 24482 - 540-248-CAMP - 800-310-2580

They have bunny rabbits everywhere hopping around. Dogs are welcome, so are kids. Lots of family events going on. A big clean pool. Indoor hot tubs, too. Wifi.
We loved it there. Plan to go back this summer a few times.

GaryOverfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryOverfield View Post
We love this place:

Shenandoah Valley Campground Staunton/Verona I-81 Exit 227 - Verona, VA 24482 - 540-248-CAMP - 800-310-2580

They have bunny rabbits everywhere hopping around. Dogs are welcome, so are kids. Lots of family events going on. A big clean pool. Indoor hot tubs, too. Wifi.
I called there in January to make reservations for July 4th and already booked. Really wanted to go there. I'll have to try again some other time.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #5

Their holiday weekends and special events book up quickly.
They do have a facebook page, and they will let folks know if they get cancellations.

GaryOverfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #6

I've seen that, but can't wait for that. We decided to go to Pigeon Forge instead. Staying at Ripplin Waters RV Park just several miles away.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #7

I belive most KOAs are three night minimums on holiday weekends. We ran into that issue when traveling to yellowstone a couple of years ago. We were on our way home over the 4th of july and we only needed single night sites, we were out of luck there. And the few state parks I looked at had two night minimums for all the summer weekends. Makes it difficult when you are not there for the festivities being offered at the campground and are on a schedule to get home.
We have been to the Jellystone at Luray. It is good, we liked it but it was packed. Kids really liked it. They may also have three night minimums on holiday, other jellystones do.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryOverfield View Post
We love this place:

I'm headed here in August. First time to this place but not new to Shenandoah valley. Been camping on skyline drive for many many years
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:17 AM   #9

a 2 or 3 night minimum on holiday weekends is pretty much the standard. Nobody should be surprised to find this out. It's a big weekend for the campgrounds, they put out money for festivities, they need to keep their sites full.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
a 2 or 3 night minimum on holiday weekends is pretty much the standard. Nobody should be surprised to find this out. It's a big weekend for the campgrounds, they put out money for festivities, they need to keep their sites full.
X2
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
And that's all fine and good if they choose to have to have that policy, but if you confirm a customer's reservation in violation of your own policy becasue your employee doesn't know any better that's different.

Not much sympathy if the OP was turned down when asking to make the reservation, but to cancel it weeks later is a little different. No business wants to leave revenue on the table, but sometimes its better to take a hit rather than lose a customer and get the bad publicity that is is all too easy to put out there on social media and the web these days...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
And that's all fine and good if they choose to have to have that policy, but if you confirm a customer's reservation in violation of your own policy becasue your employee doesn't know any better that's different.

Not much sympathy if the OP was turned down when asking to make the reservation, but to cancel it weeks later is a little different. No business wants to leave revenue on the table, but sometimes its better to take a hit rather than lose a customer and get the bad publicity that is is all too easy to put out there on social media and the web these days...
I totally agree here. If you entrust an employee to take reservations, then you should honor their mistakes to a point, as long as the employee didn't overstep their duties, which it doesn't sound like they did. If you pay an employee to answer the phone and take reservations, then you should make sure the same employee is trained in your policies before allowing them to answer the phone.

I also agree it's bad management on two parts. One, on improperly training their employees on the policies....and two, on not honoring a previous made reservation, which is just good customer service.

A kind of similar thing happened to me at a Residence Inn a few months ago. I always get suites with separate bedrooms when taking my 20 y/o daughter with us so she can have her privacy. I booked a suite like this to attend the State Fair online the morning I was leaving.

When I got there that evening, the manager on duty found my reservation, but informed me the day manager had forgot to take the room type I reserved out of the system and there were none like that available now.

I informed her of why I had to have a suite and told her we had a problem. She looked right back at me and said "No Sir, we don't. Give me a sec."

She then proceeded to give us two rooms (instead of one), and this way my daughter had her own room and bed. She then just marked each room down to the price which would equal half of the bedroom suite, so the money was the same. She also informed me she would take this up with the person who made the error, and if there was any heat, it would be on him. This is customer service, and I was a happy customer who will continue to stay there.

-----------------------------------------------------
There is also another possibility at this campground though. This manager who accepted the reservation, may have made a mistake but was properly trained. Their error could have possibly been about to cost them personally somehow (ie bonus), hence they are the one who canceled the reservation and blamed it on the owners. Just food for thought.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #13

I was just stating that it is pretty much normal practice. I didn't say that this particular situation was handled properly. That reservation should have stood.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #14

We all make mistakes and the person taking the reservation might not have realized that the time of arrival was a long weekend. When the mistake was discovered they called and let you know. If you only want one night you could go and pay the three night charge and leave after one night.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
We all make mistakes and the person taking the reservation might not have realized that the time of arrival was a long weekend. When the mistake was discovered they called and let you know. If you only want one night you could go and pay the three night charge and leave after one night.

That makes no sense to me. Op is in the right and he reservation should of stood. Campground is being greedy and has cancelled his reservation. It's there mistake they should own up and eat it. Why should he be forced to pay the three nights and only stay one night???? Huh????
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #16

I agree. They should honor your reservation, fire the employee who made the mistake and take the extra day out of their paycheck....
rlreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #17

Fire them over that? The employee didn't destroy their camper, just made a mistake on the reservation. Just honor it and move on.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #18

Did I miss something? The OP never mentioned if they were even offered the third day BEFORE the reservation was cancelled (maybe even at a reduced rate). Maybe saving a little money would have allowed them to enjoy another day in the long weekend.

But, I agree, MANAGEMENT/OWNERS should have honored the mistake even if the OP didn't or couldn't stay the third day. Good customer relations always goes a long way.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote