Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #21

You did a very nice job reviewing your trip for us , Thanks ! (pictures would be cool )

If you do plan on coming back to Michigan please give the Michigan State Parks a try , and if you get close to White Fish Point spend a few days at Tahquamenon Falls . You won't be sorry .
Old 07-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgorsline View Post
The eclectic restaurant in Sault Staint Marie is appropriately called Antlers. Another good restaurant there is Karl's Cuisine which has views of the freighters going through the locks. We stayed at the Mackinaw City Mill Creek campground in early June during the week of the lilac festival on Mackinac Island. The campground store had discount tickets for the Star Line ferry to the island and had a shuttle that picked up in the campground with a trailer to put bikes. We took the 9:00 am ferry which goes under the bridge for photo ops. We are headed to the UP tomorrow with campground reservations in Munising (Pictued Rocks), Copper Harbor, and Indian Lake.
Welcome to the U.P. of Michigan, home of the Yoopers! The Keweenaw (Copper Country) is home to copper miners from 1900's and all the little towns were mining locations where the miners lived and worked. Calumet is now part of a National Park that the population was over 100,000 in 1900.
I have a favorite circle tour that starts at US 41 in Hancock, thru Calumet, turn on M26 at Phoenix, follow the lake shore till the turn off to Brockway Mt. Drive, and to Copper Harbor. Copper Harbor has shops, motels, and restaurants to spend time at for the afternoon. Heading back south, take US 41 thru the covered road till the Lac LaBelle turn off and follow the county road into Gay, Mi. the home of the GAY BAR. Then to M26 Lake Linden and back to Hancock. Along the way are a couple of under ground mine tours, The Calumet Theater (built before 1900), old copper mines locations, Fort Wilkins built in 1846, the Keweenaw Lodge built by the WPA, light houses, Mt. Bohemia ski hill, and towns built around the 1900's. I may even take a ride to the fort for a couple of days this next week or so.
If you need more info, I'm a mile south of Chassell on US41 with the Wildcat in the yard.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #23
RCW

Great write up. We love northern Michigan! We have stayed at Mill Creek in Mackinaw twice and have reservations there again next month.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #24

Mackinaw Mill Creek is were the Coachmen Owners Association rally is the end of this month.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #25

Do like most of the other campers do and bring a cord of wood to burn in a 5 night stay. Burn fires 24/7 and by the third day the ashes will be up to the rim of the fire ring. Being sarcastic. I burn wood for heat I cut split and stack wood for weeks to burn in the Michigan winters. I see "campers" burn enough wood in a week that I could burn in my Hearthstone for a month.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #26
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Do like most of the other campers do and bring a cord of wood to burn in a 5 night stay. Burn fires 24/7 and by the third day the ashes will be up to the rim of the fire ring. Being sarcastic. I burn wood for heat I cut split and stack wood for weeks to burn in the Michigan winters. I see "campers" burn enough wood in a week that I could burn in my Hearthstone for a month.
I've seen where fire wood from out of state is not allowed? Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:54 PM   #27

A great review....my wife and I have been to Mackinaw area about 25 years in a row......and going back this year....have only had our trailer there twice....this year will be the third time....always stay at Mill Creek Campground....even the small sites are big and not crowded....great park with excellent views and good staff....we love Mackinaw City...always friendly and accomodating people everywhere....Mackinac Island is fantastic and we find it beautiful every time we go there....if you can, do not miss this piece of the world....you won't find a prettier place....
chaslorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #28

I have been wanting to make this trip but have one question. I have a couple weeks in August that I could schedule assuming that there is availability in the campground. I also have read on this forum that there are certain times of the year that there are a lot of black flies in the area. Would August be a great time to make this trip?
nbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #29

We are in Wilderness State Park right now! Rate is $29 per night/30-amp electric. Site #66 and the view from window. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468196082.433850.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	113687Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468196116.463264.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	113688
3.5L V-6 Ecoboost
Time-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #30
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Not sure about that but you could not bring wood from the lower part of the state to the UP.. They had a dump station before the bridge to drop it off. Campers were there at night scalping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatty View Post
You did a very nice job reviewing your trip for us , Thanks ! (pictures would be cool )

If you do plan on coming back to Michigan please give the Michigan State Parks a try , and if you get close to White Fish Point spend a few days at Tahquamenon Falls . You won't be sorry .
I would have loved to have visited the falls for some nice photos but the DW and DD were not in the mood... Maybe next time I will head over on my own.

A few pics... I have literally hundreds but a small tasting.. They are in an album with a description of what you are looking at (for most) if clicked.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskzCdUkA

We did try the Pasty's which were good. We did not see any black flies but there were plenty of mosquitoes.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
No firewood is allowed into the upper from the lower and if your crossing the big bridge, you may get asked when you pay at the toll station. It is a huge fine if you get caught bringing un-stamped wood in. Your better off buying some from a local resident or from the State park/ private RV park.

banning out of state wood is happening in quite a few states because of the Ash Borer and other diseases. The ones that I know of off hand are Michigan, Indiana, and Tennessee. I am sure there others. To find out whether the state you are heading into is on the list all you need to do is go to their state campground site. It will be posted.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #32

Nice pictures.

That water tower is the one in Aunt Betty's back yard.

Arch rock is pretty cool. Looks like you guys hit the attractions.

Did you pay the $10 to go on the Grand Hotel's porch?
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #33
Who Dares, Wins

No, it would have been $30 for all of us... Not worth that to see a porch...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #34

But it's a famous porch. LOL

It is mentioned in a song and it it the longest porch in the US I believe.

Bob Seger even talks about the "bar in Mackinaw City" My brother in-law and I used to frequent the Keyhole but I'm not sure if he was talking about that bar.

I only go on it when we go to meetings at the hotel. We don't stay there overnight, we spend nights at the in-laws in Cheboygan, only about 40 minutes away.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-G View Post
But it's a famous porch. LOL

It is mentioned in a song and it it the longest porch in the US I believe.

Bob Seger even talks about the "bar in Mackinaw City" My brother in-law and I used to frequent the Keyhole but I'm not sure if he was talking about that bar.

I only go on it when we go to meetings at the hotel. We don't stay there overnight, we spend nights at the in-laws in Cheboygan, only about 40 minutes away.
Yes, longest in the world and world record holder of the the most rocking chairs on a porch... One more than Cracker Barrel for the win..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-11-2016, 04:33 AM   #36

Thanks for the tips, Elind. We are looking forward to a great tip. Love this forum and all the helpful advice people share with each other.
Robertgorsline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #37
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
Doc,

Thanks for the write-up we are going to spend a week in MI the second week of Aug starting in Holland and working our way up to the Island and coming back on the other side of MI.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #38
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
Doc,

Thanks for the write-up we are planning a trip to MI the second week of Aug starting in Holland MI and working our way to the Island.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #39

Nice review Doc! Heading to Michigan 7/22 working our way from Yankee Springs recreation area, over to Holland SP then work our way up the west coast and finally getting to Wilderness SP for only one night 7/30. Interesting DW and I were trying to decide whether to do Mackinac Island or ride up in her RAV4 to Sault St. Marie and the locks. Just yesterday at a family gathering my step daughters in laws were telling me not to waste our time going to the island! They told us other than a nice bicycle ride there isn't a lot to see and the grand hotel is outrageously expensive to visit. But everyone on this thread is saying otherwise. Now I'm confused, easy to do of course! We are really looking forward to the whole trip though, hearing so much about how beautiful Michigan is and so much to see and do.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

If your not into shopping and eating I could see that could be a reason. There are gift shops and restaurants galore with the old time flare. It like going back in time with horse & carriage rides and a military fort. Things may be pricy but it's a seasonal tourist area where everybody needs to earn living in 4 months. No different than going to Tombstone, Grand Canyon, or Mt. Rushmore. Just check it out.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote