Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

Maiden voyage 3065w Windjammer

New to camping. Well back in December purchased our Windjammer. Last time we camped was 35 yrs ago in a tent at Smith mountain lake what a disaster. Our first trip in the new TT was back to the scene of the last trip. I have been studying the forums here for the last several months, and gained a wealth of info. Everyone says that the first camping trip should be close to home. Nope, we hooked up and drove 5 hours to Smith Mountain Lake towing our TT with a gasser f250 with 150,000 miles.Trailer towed really well with the wd hitch. No sway when tractor trailers passed and on flat land you could hardly feel it. The TV did grunt on the hills. I found that my best speed was 55 mph, when I got to 60 it felt like the trailer would drift, I don't know what caused that. So I just kept in around 55 and let the traffic stack up behind me. Arrived at the campground, (Blue ridge campground ) the campground is inhabited my mostly seasonal campers. Sites were at a minimum, got a pull through that was not even close to level, I was able to use my blocks to make it acceptable. Used everything on the TT except the A/C. The only issue was the black tank sensors always showed empty. All in all was a good trip, thanks to all the advice from this forum, I didn't look like a newby at the campground. The TT will go back to the dealer to repair or replace the sensors on the black tank. 500 miles round trip, not bad for the first time. Chuck in Va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
New to camping. Well back in December purchased our Windjammer. Last time we camped was 35 yrs ago in a tent at Smith mountain lake what a disaster. Our first trip in the new TT was back to the scene of the last trip. I have been studying the forums here for the last several months, and gained a wealth of info. Everyone says that the first camping trip should be close to home. Nope, we hooked up and drove 5 hours to Smith Mountain Lake towing our TT with a gasser f250 with 150,000 miles.Trailer towed really well with the wd hitch. No sway when tractor trailers passed and on flat land you could hardly feel it. The TV did grunt on the hills. I found that my best speed was 55 mph, when I got to 60 it felt like the trailer would drift, I don't know what caused that. So I just kept in around 55 and let the traffic stack up behind me. Arrived at the campground, (Blue ridge campground ) the campground is inhabited my mostly seasonal campers. Sites were at a minimum, got a pull through that was not even close to level, I was able to use my blocks to make it acceptable. Used everything on the TT except the A/C. The only issue was the black tank sensors always showed empty. All in all was a good trip, thanks to all the advice from this forum, I didn't look like a newby at the campground. The TT will go back to the dealer to repair or replace the sensors on the black tank. 500 miles round trip, not bad for the first time. Chuck in Va
I'm glad you are having a good and mostly uneventful first outing. If the only problem you have is black tank sensors that's good. The type sensors most units come with rarely work well.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #3

This was the first time the holding tanks have been used. I am not sure how or if they checked them at the dealer. I just waited till the grey tank was around 2/3's and then dump both of them. Seemed to work. I used the tank flush both times thinking that might fix the issue. But it did not. I was quite pleased with the trip and lucky everything worked well. My disappointment was my tow vehicle. The Windjammer is advertized around 7000 lbs and 1/2 ton towable , granted my 250 may be a little tired but on step grades my 5.4 was screaming, a little unsettling. Sounds like a good excuse to get a diesel. A half ton could tow it on flat land but not in the mountains (just my opinion)
Old 05-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
The only issue was the black tank sensors always showed empty. All in all was a good trip, thanks to all the advice from this forum, I didn't look like a newby at the campground. The TT will go back to the dealer to repair or replace the sensors on the black tank. 500 miles round trip, not bad for the first time. Chuck in Va
My monitor never really works well either as far as accuracy. But the big thing is to make sure you have some water in your black tank before using and also use a good tank deodorizer.

I like Walex TOI-91799 Porta-Pak Holding Tank Deodorizer, (Pack of 10)

cobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #5

cobiker, What are you towing your Windjammer with, any issues? My 250 may just be tired and loosing some power but I was not pleased with the performance on steep grades. I am not really sure what to expect on steep hills but she was grunting, tacking around 4 grand.

Tags
windjammer