Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #1

Maine next summer

We are heading to Maine next summer with the rockwood 8316. One of the reasons and it sounds silly is we want to go to a area we can pick up fresh lobsters and cook right there at camp. What area of Maine should we head to. I would imagine the coast but whic area. I have never been to Maine. We normally stay in state parks and was wondering if Maine has good state park camping and sites for a 31 foot trailer. We love to hike do the off the beaten path items back woods kind of stuff. The only request by our kids like I said is being able to pick up fresh lobsters and cook at camp. Thanks for help getting started

Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
H2oski

I would recommend Salisbury Beach SP. We stayed there 4 or 5 years ago and had a great time. You can get lobster out of a pound or along the side of the street. Convienent to other attractions. We had a great time and want to go back.

Salisbury Beach State Reservation

(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

We plan on being in Rockland, Maine for the Lobster Festival the last week in July. Looking forward to it!
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #4

The entire Maine coast once you get north of Portland is very nice and lobster is available in many places. It all depends on how far you want to travel. I highly recommend that you make it as far north as Arcadia National Park. If you can do without hookups, a nice state park nearby is Lamoine State Park

Maine Bureau of Parks & Lands - Search for Parks and Properties

It is easy to spend a week in the area. There is many things to see and do both inside and outside the national park. I would recommend reservations where ever you decide to stay.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

My wife and I vacation in Maine every year for the past 10 years and have stayed at several different camp sites and grounds, the best by far for total relaxation is a small privately owned campground called Lobster Buey located in South Thomson, Maine. You will camp right on the water with a shore line that is just plain wonderful. The lady who owns it is a very intersting person and you will spend hours listening to her wonderful storys about the area.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Commercial Member

If you like the outdoors such as hiking, biking, kayaking, etc......look into Acadia- Bar Harbor area.

We stayed in Southwest harbor at Smuggler's Den CG for several years, and it is very easy to get around the island. Not too expensive, and family owned. Rain (owners Daughter) is very nice, and knowledgeable about the area as well. The Island Explorer bus picks up in the CG also. Free bus service all over the island.

Rats seafood, about 3 miles up the street, has the freshest seafood you can find other than getting it off the boat. You have to drive back a dirt road about a mile, but well worth it. He usually has fresh dug clams, mussels, lobsters, and sometimes shrimp.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfirefun View Post
We are heading to Maine next summer with the rockwood 8316. One of the reasons and it sounds silly is we want to go to a area we can pick up fresh lobsters and cook right there at camp. What area of Maine should we head to. I would imagine the coast but whic area. I have never been to Maine. We normally stay in state parks and was wondering if Maine has good state park camping and sites for a 31 foot trailer. We love to hike do the off the beaten path items back woods kind of stuff. The only request by our kids like I said is being able to pick up fresh lobsters and cook at camp. Thanks for help getting started
Sunset Point Campground,Harrington,Maine. Pull in and register,next tell owner how many,how big,and what time to deliver the (Cooked Fresh off the boat LOBSTER) to your campsite! Youroo!!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #8

We stayed in Bass Harbor at a nice campground, fully hookups. My husband ate his weight in lobster! So much to do in that area. Bass Harbor is way cheaper to stay than Bar Harbor and has a great little lighthouse.
Can't go wrong anywhere in that area. If you do go, the closer to Labor Day the cheaper the lobster because many businesses close after Labor Day. We went 2 weeks before Labor Day and stayed until 2 days after. We will return probably in 2014 and we can't wait.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
want a Cat 293REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
We stayed in Bass Harbor at a nice campground, fully hookups. My husband ate his weight in lobster! So much to do in that area. Bass Harbor is way cheaper to stay than Bar Harbor and has a great little lighthouse.
Can't go wrong anywhere in that area. If you do go, the closer to Labor Day the cheaper the lobster because many businesses close after Labor Day. We went 2 weeks before Labor Day and stayed until 2 days after. We will return probably in 2014 and we can't wait.
+1 for Bass Harbor. My opinion it depends on how far you want to travel. The Maine coastline is beautiful but the roads are somewhat tough and it takes a long time to get to the coast. Camden is gorgeous - may be pricey. Consider the Brunswick area and perhaps stay north of Portland. As far as lobster goes, ask at any local gas station/store/post office and they will direct you to a local fisherman. Cook it yourself in a big pot with local and clean saltwater. Try to stay away from the 'big name restarants' and do business with the locals fishermen. Have fun
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #10

There are many CG's on the Maine coast, Bailey's in Saco is a very large CG and has nearby lobster pounds and access to many bike trails and beaches. In Arcadia the State park is nice and secluded, no hook ups, their are two KOA's first just as you get on the island, this CG has sites within ten feet of the ocean and welcome both fishing and lobstering.

This blog can go on for hours, their are so many wonderful places to camp in the state.

Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote