Old 11-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #21

The shuttle closes down for the winter. But it is a great way to get around the rest of year. Pine Mountain is nice, all concrete pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #22

Remember, it's not just about "stay'n" in an rv park. It's about getting there and back home safely.
If you do not have experience in winter travel, be assured you will have unanticipated issues that may sour your adventure.

Full timers and retirees (me &#128077 are not on a schedule. Something changes, like ice rain, we crank up the heat; turn up the fireplace and
"F'get aboud it" 😀.

Drive and motel it!

Just because you own an rv does not mean you have to use it all of the time.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #23

I do. I have no plans to ever stay in a motel again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #24

As has already been said, Anchor Down RV park is really nice. We stayed there last Thanksgiving. We had one of the Giant fireplace spots which made the cold weather a little nicer. They sell firewood bundles for $5 and they bring it to your site. (they gave us the first bundle free).
The BUSHs Baked Beans factory is not far away in Dandrige, TN. It was a nice tour and they take your picture with Duke for free! Dandrige also has the oldest continuously operating drug store in America. Some great antique stores in the area too. No, this campground wasn't really close to Gatlinburg, but that made it a little nicer (not as much traffic). There were still a lot of touristy type places to go to in the close vicinity of the campground.
Whichever place you decide on, be careful. The winter weather can bring anything from rain to snow to fog.
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #25

Also, there's a newer campground called Up The Creek that's a couple of miles down Wears Valley Road. Really nice place bordered by two creeks, but no bath houses offered.

http://www.upthecreekrvcamp.com/

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
Old 02-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #26

We leave in 10 days. This weekend looks very cold, but it starts raining next week and goes to 40 for the high. Have Different options picked out but as of now we plan on pulling the rv.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #27

The weather is looking better in the next 10 days. I'm assuming you coming up the weekend of the 19th? Weather is looking like it will be in the 60's. We live about 40 minutes from there. Where you stay depends on what you want. Do you want to stay in the heart of Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg? Be prepared to fight the traffic. It is heavy year round, especially if you plan on arriving on Friday. If your looking for some a little more quiet, there is Wears Valley or Townsend. Someone had mentioned Up The Creek. Nice cg, but no bath houses or amenities (cable and wifi tho) Sites are gravel, although relatively level with mature trees. Most of the sites you will find in town are are very tight. If you want to pm me, I can give you some ideas on places to stay depending on what your looking for.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #28

Check out Townsend KOA. It's about 40-35 minutes from Gatlinburg. I'm heading there in March but they're open.

ETA: The sites are more than $20 though
Old 02-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #29

Our go to place in Townsend is Big Meadow Family Campground. Big sites, mostly concrete pull thru's, and gated. Staff there is very friendly and helpful. Stay there usually twice a month.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
X2 on Riverbend CG and last I knew they were open year round. There is a Gatlinburg shuttle that you can walk to from the CG, but not sure of their winter hours.
X3 on River bend. Nice camp ground and staff was fantastic. Very close (IMO) to everything. Concrete pads and was roomy enough to get my 62ft rig and set up with ease. Not sure on the other. If your comfortable driving in winter weather then so be it. I use mine year round. Im with Spock123...... My main reason for a rv purchase is so I wouldnt have to stay in hotels anymore.

JCMINIS is offline   Reply With Quote