Old 06-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #1

Mammoth Cave, KY Trip Planning Question

In the planning stages for a trip to visit Mammoth Cave National Park in the latter part of July 2014. We're looking at staying at Nolin Lake State Park or Dog Creek Cor. Of Eng. campground. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

tion: Lewisburg, PA

JEFF1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

I have no input other than we're driving past that area later this summer. I've been thinking I'd like to stop for a day or two there and check out the place. No plans or ideas set yet.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

Mammoth Cave, KY Trip Planning Question

Take the time to visit Cub Run Cave. It is the best in the area (IMO) and isn't too far from Nolin Lake. We were in that area caving for 5 days in August a couple of years ago and it was a hundred degrees outside each day so it made the caves that much more enjoyable.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #4

If you're interested, the Corvette Museum is another interesting tourist sight on the north end of Bowling Green--not far from Horse Cave, KY. And if you go at the right time of day, you can also take a tour of the Corvette factory.

And then, you're just an hour from Nashville and the many tourist sights of this great and dynamic city. There are campgrounds down the road from Gaylord Opryland Hotel and the OpryMills Mall. And more campgrounds are on Percy Priest Lake--2 exits east of the Airport on I-40.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
If you're interested, the Corvette Museum is another interesting tourist sight on the north end of Bowling Green--not far from Horse Cave, KY. And if you go at the right time of day, you can also take a tour of the Corvette factory.

And then, you're just an hour from Nashville and the many tourist sights of this great and dynamic city. There are campgrounds down the road from Gaylord Opryland Hotel and the OpryMills Mall. And more campgrounds are on Percy Priest Lake--2 exits east of the Airport on I-40.
That Corvette musuem is a hole in the ground....Literally.
They have a temp setup but the sink hole that appeared this year has greatly affected the musuem .

Also near Ft. Campbell....home of the 101st airborne. If ya an army type.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
CMSgt. (Ret) Charlie Brown

We were there last June and camped in CG just east of I-75 but do not remember name. It was located right behind Cracker Barrel. Nice CG and short driving distance to Mammoth Cave NP.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #7

We were there several years ago and stayed at a COE campground near the state park to the NW of Mammoth Caves. It had really nice sites located on a lake. You can take the back way into the park across the Green River Free Ferry which is kind of cool.

Some advice - since there are not grocery stores nearby, make sure you have what you need before you camp at either location. Make reservations in advance for the cave tours you want to see. We have done several and really like the lantern tour! The park is just in the Central time zone.

Have a great time!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #8

DW and I were there 2-3 years ago. At the time, it was a Moist county. That means Adult beverages are only sold in resturants serving over 100 people. You are allowed to have it, just can't buy it in the county. Stock your cooler if this is applicable to you

Also, +1 on making the reservations early and the lantern tour. (i did have a surefire flashlight in my pocket should i need the entire time I was in the cave though)

Old 06-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #9

We stayed at the Bowling Green KOA. Nice campground and close to where you want to be.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1508 View Post
In the planning stages for a trip to visit Mammoth Cave National Park in the latter part of July 2014. We're looking at staying at Nolin Lake State Park or Dog Creek Cor. Of Eng. campground. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!
Made that trip last fall. Stayed at Nolin sp and it is a beautiful park.
Here some pics of the area Forest River Forums - Platokidd's Album: Mammoth Cave / Nolin State park 2013

We made the mistake of coming into the park from the east. Back hills of KY and a 37 foot camper YIKES! White knuckle didnt know if I could fit or make the turns and my truck worked very hard. I knew when we got behind a horse n buggy this wasn't good. I will never forget that drive as long as I live!! Dont go 88 to dog creek rd. to enter the park.
Enter from the west is best!

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote