Old 06-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Interesting response - it's not the same as what I was told back in August 2013.

Here's what I asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Request
Hello there -

I'm just a private individual/non-commercial. I have bought a Ram 3500 dually that has a GVWR of 12,300 pounds. I also bought a fifth wheel camper with a GVWR of 12,000 pounds.

As I drive down the highway, I pass the weigh stations and see the signs that say- "All vehicles over 5T GVWR must stop". Rightly or wrongly, to date- I haven't stopped at any of them.

By my figuring, even in my truck alone with the 12,300 GVWR, I'm supposed to stop at these. And, when towing the camper, I'm supposed to stop.

Can you help point me in the direction of the regulations that cover this? Are there exemptions for non-commercial folks or people pulling campers?

Thanks.
And their response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland State Highway Administration
You are correct, you would be required to enter. Although you are driving a RV for non-business use and are exempted from the commercial regulations, you must still enter the scale house with your vehicle as required by the signs “All vehicles over 5T GVWR/GCWR must enter” The reason being, if you use an RV for business (such as transporting a musical band that receives compensation ) all regulations would apply at that point, but the only way an inspector would know, is if you would make yourself available for interaction with the facility staff.

More than likely you will be flagged on through when you enter without ever having to stop, however the signs require you enter.

If signs on the approach to a scale house in other states indicate “ALL COMMERCIAL VEHICLES MUST ENTER” then you could confidently go by without entering. In Maryland however the signs do indicate “ALL VEHICLES…”

Hope this helps

Duane W. Pearce
Maryland State Highway Administration
Motor Carrier Division
CVISN Program
Data, Education & Compliance
Manager
410-582-5719
800-543-4564
443-506-1079
dpearce@sha.state.md.us

Old 06-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

I was thinking the same think E-dad. Maybe they smartened up?

But wasn't it a few weeks ago someone got pinched on here for not stopping but got "a warning" by the trooper.. WHY CAN'T THIS JUST BE EASY! LOL

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I was thinking the same think E-dad. Maybe they smartened up?

But wasn't it a few weeks ago someone got pinched on here for not stopping but got "a warning" by the trooper.. WHY CAN'T THIS JUST BE EASY! LOL
Yep, I thought about that guy as I passed 3 different weigh stations in MD yesterday.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #14
Who Dares, Wins

Same on my way to DC two weeks ago! LOL

If I am over weight I got issues, but they are more then welcome to chase me down..

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 06-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #15

Well one response was from Maryland state police and one was from Maryland highway administration. Two different organizations. That's why big confusion.

That would be like PennDOT saying one thing and PSP saying something else typical right hand not knowing what left hand is doing.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Ah.. Missed that. I guess since MSP is the one enforcing I'd go with their response?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 06-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #17

Just drive until told otherwise. I did go through Maryland about a year and a half ago, but it was on Sunday and they were closed. The signs were a little confusing though. I would have probably been watching my mirrors a little closer.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #18

Not to be confused with an AG station, only fifty different rules apply .
Old 06-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandDonna View Post
In Florida I stopped in a weigh station to ask that question and was told no I didn't have to go through the weigh stations. Did the same thing in Maryland and was told I had to go through the weigh station. At the time I was pulling a 5er with a Volvo semi. I explained at both stations that it was a non-commercial semi, a RV Hauler. FYI, at both stations the officers were both nasty that I would take their time up with such a stupid question. The one in Maryland asked me if I could read.
If you pull with a Volvo or any large truck I would have posted some place on the side of the truck not for hire and private coach
Old 06-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #20
Bob & Donna

I had a "Private Coach Not for Hire" on the side. The station was the one on Rte 1 across the Conowingo bridge.