Old 06-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Meet and greet in Florida Panhandle for Thanksgiving

Sorry for the long story, but this is how life friends are made.
My buddies and I have been going to the Darlington NASCAR race for twenty three years running. Twenty years ago at the weekend pitstop campgroung we invited two Mississippi state students into our camp site when we noticed their cooler of sandwiches that their girlfriends (Now they’re wives) premade for them had run low. Feeling bad and we had a bunch of extra food we invited them over. Dragging the biggest cooler I’ve ever seen was a cooler packed full of frat beer. (Frat beer)= Every Brand available that a true beer drinker would NOT drink let alone let a buddy buy.
Since that day the boys have been part of the race gang each year. (You can see some of our camp setup in my posted photos.)
With all those years past now we have never met the wives and kids of each others family in person. My group is in their 50’s now with all the kids out of the nest, and there now in their late 30’s with pre teens and many dance and baseball storys left untold.
Ok on to the point!!!!!!
At this year’s Darlington camp we decided we were going to meet the ladies that allow us men to go pound our chests every mother’s day weekend, away from home. Wehave always said that this is just what they wanted but I’m sure were just kidding ourselves.
We’re looking at 4-5 days camp during the Thanksgiving holidays and us men will cook and Bake it all. You have to love a 25lb fully stuffed smoked turkey on the Weber and Dutch oven pies.
Wife and I live in the Orlando area and there in Louisiana so we would like a 1/2 way point for both families. Were looking for insights on camp grounds around the West end of the Florida panhandle that has water, electric and nice restrooms facilities available. The ladies have always said they want to eat from our menu. We need to show the ladies we appreciate their letting us go each year.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 CTD
2012 Flagstaff MAC BR28TSC
2012 Days camped 23
2013 days camped 16
wayne in florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Sounds like fun. Some would say try TopSail SP - near Destin. I havent been there, but they say it is nice. Enjoy.

DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
X2 Top Sail, or #2 Fort Pickens, no sewer only dump station Ft Pickens. Love them both.
2007 Chevy 2500 HD 6.6
2012 Sabre 31RETS
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Camper Less Camping
Topsail SP in FL (1st choice)
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
Topsail is great but will probably be very difficult to find an opening as it usually stays full this time of year. May try Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores. With over 400 sites they may have availability.
2014 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA-7
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Grayton Beach, SP is really nice.
David & Annamarie(Fatty & Harley)
2011 Rockwood windjammer(3065)
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
There's two that I can recommend, St Joseph State Park in Port St Joe Florida and St Andrews State Park in Panama City Beach Florida. I live about 3 miles from St Andrews state park. They are both excellent parks located directly on the gulf of Mexico
Sistahazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
I've stayed at Henderson Beach SP in Destin, Gulf SP in Gulf Shores, and I'll be at Pickens NP in two weeks.
Henderson SP is really nice. The sites are secluded from each other for the most part by the scrub oak. It's like having the place to yourself. Bath houses were clean and modern. The SP is a small oasis in the middle of Destin which is loaded with every kind of shopping imaginable for those interested in such.

Gulf SP is really big. The downside is that it's first come first serve on the camp sites. You take what is left. The ones on the pond are nicer from a view standpoint the rest of them are pretty blah. I didn't use the bathhouses so I can't report on them. Quick access to the beach and pier. Orange Beach and Gulf Shores run into each other with only city limit signs showing that you've left one city/state and entered another. If you're up to it, go to the FloraBama. You won't be there at the right time for the mullet toss, perhaps another trip.

grb2980 is offline   Reply With Quote