Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #1

Michigan Trip

Hi all, we are planning to take a trip through Michigan this spring or early summer. Was hoping for some of you could recommend places to see and stop. We will go thru the U.P and then come back down thru Minn. and Wisconsin.
Thanks....Kevin
ksams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

If early spring includs March/April "Snow and Closed C/G " could be in play! Youroo!!
Old 11-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

Thanks for info about closed campgrounds. Didnt think of that
ksams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If early spring includs March/April "Snow and Closed C/G " could be in play! Youroo!!
Hey stranger clean out your pm"s
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #5

Pictured Rocks if your in the UP.
pojp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #6

Lots of great places in northern Mich, check the reservation site for places and availability:

https://www.midnrreservations.com/cr...T00:00:00.000Z
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #7

The weather in the UP is not good until after May 1st. We have two RV lots in the UP on lake Huron and we don't open until after May first. You could spend lots of time in the UP. There is lots to see and do.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #8

Got snowed in once flying Army helicopters south from Grayling mid May. We landed 4 aircraft (2 UH1s, 2 OH58s) in the four leaves of a cloverleaf exit in I75 almost within sight of the Flint airport. Looky-Loos shut down I75 for a couple of hours until the weather cleared enough for us to fly over to Flint airport. Rented several cars for the remainder of our trip to Ohio and flew the pilots back a few days later to bring the aircraft home.

-- Chuck
Old 11-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #9

Three recommendations:

1. If you go to Whitefish Point (which has a lot going for it) stop at Browns Fisheries in Paradise, some of the best fish you can find anywhere and at great prices.
2. Lakenland. A junkyard art gallery. Free and open 24/7 (outdoors - drive or walk thru). On the south side of M-28 15 miles east of Marquette.
3. Hilltop Restaurant in L' Anse. Absolutely fabulous sweet rolls. These things are huge - 1 is good for 2-4 people... It's a nice family restaurant.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #10

Check out Campgeroundreviews.com You can use it to find really nice places to camp along the way. I use this along with google maps to create our camping and stopping plans. The reviews are accurate and it has links to the websites.

No, I am not affiliated with the site. I just like the accurate reviews to research places to stay.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #11

march-april? this is Michigan. Most campgrounds don't open till May 1st
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #12

Brown's Cafe serves only fresh fish caught the night before and when they run out, they close. Best I ever had!
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #13

I've done the west coast of Michigan a couple of times and it is one of my DW's and my favorite places to go. You can't go wrong with virtually any of the Michigan state parks touring up the west coast heading towards the UP. One of our favorite parks is Wilderness SP, 10 minutes from the bridge to the UP. Some incredible waterfront sites right Lake Michigan, however, if you don't get one of those prime sites the rest of the that section can be small, tight and packed. The forested area is much nicer, beautiful actually, and the sites are much bigger and well-spaced. From Wilderness, you are only a few miles, maybe 8, to Mackinaw City. A great town that has RV parking right in the center of Main Street. Many fun shops, pubs, and restaurants to suit any fancy. Tour boats to take you over to Mackinaw Island. If you have bikes, bring them with you, they charge a small additional fee for them. Bike around the island, no cars allowed, it is an 8-mile ride and it is beautiful. The town center is filled with pubs, restaurants, and shops also. Fun place to spend a half-day or so. In the UP we stayed at Indian Lake-South SP. The site we got which was the last one available, is to this day the most beautiful campsite we ever stayed at. Right on the banks of the lake, with stairs cut into the bluff to take you down to a small beach area. Nearby is a natural spring, I forget the name but it quite the attraction, so much so we didn't get to see it because there were so many people, peak season mid-July. From Indian Lake it is only about 26-28 mile ride to Pictured Rocks National Seashore. You need to take a tour boat to see the "rocks", but it is well worth the price and boat ride.

From Indian Lake, we made our way up to Tahquamenon Falls SP, close to the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum. Real nice large SP with big spacious campsites. A short walk from your campsite is Tahquamenon Falls. You can rent a small rowboat to take you across to the small island in the center of the 3 falls. Beautiful! we used our kayaks, which was a bit precarious.

Enjoy your trip and I hope these suggestions help. I could go on and on about Michigan but I would have to look up all the great places we visited up the west coast to the UP.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:26 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Too bad YOUROO, I sold my Chassell home/ B&B 2 yrs ago. And no more free beer for you and Turbs snowcat season.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote