Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #1

Michigan UP

Having visited Michigan's west coast last July and motoring up to Wilderness State Park, my DW and I decided we loved that trip so much lets complete the trip by crossing over the Mackinac Bridge and tour the UP. This trip will be the third week of July this year and the UP portion will be for 5 days. Suggestions on must see and go along would be appreciated. Also, state parks or are there some "must" visit public campgrounds that we'll really enjoy? Got great info from the forum on our fall New Hampshire trip so thought I'd ask bout Michigan and the UP.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #2

I answered some of my own question by going back to old posts from last year which I sorta thought there was a post about traveling Michigan and the U.P.. Got some tips like Pictured Rocks in Munising, White Fish Pond and Tahquamenon Falls, Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum, and the locks at Slte. St. Marie.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #3

Go to the western side and visit Lake of the Clouds and Silver City and copper harbor. Nice area.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #4

And you must go to the Gay Bar in Gay. It actually is a fun little bar/eatery and you can get a souvenir showing you have been to the Gay Bar.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #5

On the way back home, in the lower, visit Hell, Michigan (off US23 north of Ann Arbor) and dine at the Hellsite Inn. Good burgers,
Old 01-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

Check out Copper Harbor SP the lighthouse and fort, McLane SP and Union Bay campground at Porquepine Mtn. SP is right on Lake Superior shoreline., the architecture in Calumet is outstanding remnant of when copper mining was in it's heyday and there was lots of prosperity which is evident in the building
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Check out Keweenaw.org for a app to guide you around the Keweenaw.

Tom, did you go around for a lap at the "GAY" 4th of July Parade?
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #8

Nice thing about the UP is the roads are excellent. Here in Michigan, road funding is based on lane miles, not population and the UP has the lane miles, so all the rods except the Up suffer from inadequate funding. You get crap roads to the bridge and then it's smooth saling.

Don't plan on swimming in Superior even in the summer. It's spring fed and deep so it's always very cold. Never gets above 50 degrees even in late summer. Good fishing though.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
RCW

Tahquamenon Falls State Park

We were here last year. Beautiful Falls!
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:33 AM   #10

Sherman, Having lived in far northern Wisconsin, we've made many trips to the UP. You've received many good suggestions, and some kind of "iffy" IMO. The Soo Locks and Pictured Rocks are must-sees. There's a very nice campground almost a stone's throw south of the locks. In Ontonogan, eat at Syl's Cafe downtown (fantastic home-made garlicky breakfast sausage). Porcupine Mountains SP is one of our favorite places. If you can get in to Union Bay campground there, do it. The best campsites are literally right on the shore, and Lake of the Clouds is one of the most photographed places in the Park. Good suggestions have also been made about the Keweenaw Peninsula. Eagle Harbor and Copper Harbor are pretty. If you like home-made jams and jellies, the monks at the monastery at Eagle Harbor make and sell their own. The Keewenaw is in the heart of the Michigan copper and silver mining country and worth a trip into one of the old mines. If you have the time and the inclination, take the National Park boat from Houghton or Copper Harbor over to Isle Royale National Park. Spend a day exploring the "biggest island in the biggest lake" in the country. Kayaking there is great, if you're inclined. You can't take an RV there BTW. On the island, everything is done on foot. You can take the boat back to the Keewenaw in the afternoon or, if you want to stay on the island overnight, you can tent camp or rent one of the extremely pricy rooms in the Rock Harbor lodge. Also, be aware that you are in waterfall country. Tahquamenon is very pretty. If you get as far west as the Wisconsin border, there are many falls in the area. Wren Falls is one of our favorites, but is a little hard to find. And, BTW you can swim in Lake Superior. We've done it many times. If you make your trip late in the summer on one of those 90+ degree days, and the wind is blowing the warm surface water into the shore, Gitchee Gumee can be very pleasant. It'd be a shame to go all the way to the Lake and not get in the water! Finally, I would recommend picking up a copy of Hunts' Guide to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It contains everything you could possibly want to know about the land of the "Yoopers."

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:44 AM   #11

Sherman, one final caveat: watch out for the deer on the highways up in the UP. I T-boned one at 60mph on Michigan 28 one day while pulling a TT. Not an experience I want to repeat soon.

kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:47 PM   #12
Bae

Sherman If you camp at Tahquamenon Falls you can visit White Fish Point, the falls, and Crisp Point Light house (a lot of dirt roads to get to Crisp Point and they can get bad if there is a lot of rain) check the face book page for this light house for directions but well worth the adventure to get there, the GPS will take you on ore trails. You can do all of this in a day if you want to move on.
We just reserved site 29 at Porcupine Mountains Union Bay for a week in August. I am watching this post for west side places to visit.

18 nights planned so far in Michigan 2019
11 night planned in Georgia 2019
4 nights boon docking Kentucky 2019
Bae is offline   Reply With Quote