Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #11

Thanks, I am actually reconsidering all of this. After reading the dry weight/GVWR posts, I went out to my trailer and saw that it has, as suggested in posts, about 5600lbs GVWR. I feel like I was duped by the dealer when I told them I had the original tow package and the jeep could handle 5000 lbs. The only weight they ever spoke about was the "dry weight". It does seem fine "locally" but not sure this is a good idea going thru the "rolling hills". I too lived in Pittsburg and Virginia and have traveled back and forth to the Cleveland area too many times to count and know they are much more than "rolling". I am taking a trip this weekend and will be on the highway for about 40 minutes, so I will see what happens but will for sure contact the deal in the morning. I sure appreciate the insight and "informative" feedback!

Old 07-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #12
Site Team

Ah yes another one the dealer got to with the infamous "yes you can tow this" statement. Dealerships all sell using dry weight. They also do not know your vehicles exact configuration, passenger loads or how much cargo you will put in your trailer. I rolled onto the lot once and told them my armada had a max tow capacity of 9100 lbs so they promptly showed me a 9000 lb dry weight tt that was close to 35' long and told me to ignore the gvwr of it. Fortunately I had enough towing experience to walk away but not enough to still end up overloaded on payload and hitch capacity. Sold the armada, bought an f250 psd which low and behold also had a low payload (only 1500 lbs). Pulled my old tt beautifully as it was in spec but when it came time to move up, I hit the dealership lots again. This time I heard, you have a diesel, you can tow anything on my lot. Nope. I knew my numbers from the scales and knew exactly what specs I had to stay within. I should have made bets with dealerships on that fact.

Moral of the story, never believe someone who is trying to sell you something. Their job is to sell you a trailer, not to make sure you have the right tv for it. I'm sorry you fell prey to the same thing so many of us have fallen for at some point in time.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #13

so I take it they are "covered"? they installed the 14,000 lb weight distribution system, the 10,000 lb ball and hitch, yet they know my jeeps capacity is 5000. did these extras make them feel better selling to a first time travel trailer owner? What a sad world we live in....
Old 07-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #14

I just found a weigh station near me and on my way to my site this weekend (CAT Scale) I will weigh everything and figure out the remainder from there. I sure have learned a lot in a day!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #15
Site Team

Weighing everything is the best way to figure out exactly where you are. Make several passes... one of just the jeep, one of jeep and trailer without wdh and one of jeep and trailer with wdh hooked up. Put the jeep front axle on scale pad 1, rear axle on scale pad 2, and trailer on scale pad 3. When you do your weights, have a full tank of fuel and everyone in the jeep. This will tell you if you are overweight but also if your wdh is setup right. Come back to us with these weights. You want your front axle weight as close to unloaded weight as possible without going heavier. Your jeep should also be level without rear sag. You will want to have something with a long handle to push the button as it sits pretty high up. They will ask first weigh or reweigh. First round is first weigh, 2 nd and 3rd rounds are reweigh. You will need the number off the bottom corner of the first ticket to give them for reweigh. (1st weigh is usually $9-12 and you can reweigh as many times as you like in a 24hrs period for typically $1-2 each). They will ask for vehicle number, tell them private, if they still want a number give them your favorite number.

The hitch choice is interesting. Let me clarify, the jeep already had a hitch installed and they included a 1400/14000 lb wdh with your setup? Is this correct? If so, that is way overkill and can lead to some handling issues in itself. What you should have is either an 800/8000 lb or 1000/10000 lb hitch for that weight trailer. Ideal tongue weight should be 13-15% of the loaded trailer weight. If we look at gvwr that is 728-840 lbs of tongue weight. Which wdh do you have and does it have integrated sway control? Or do you have a friction sway bar or no sway control? If you do not know what you have, take a pic and post here, we can probably help with that as well.

Good luck with all of this and I hope we can get you straightened out.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:28 AM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

unfortunately, you've made the #1 newbie mistake, Believing the Dealer!

it happens all the time and most dealers will say anything to sell you the trailer.
once you drive off of the lot, they no longer have any responsibility.

i just posted to another thread, also by a first time HTT owner who also said, "the dealer said i would have no problems towing it"!

he also has a 5000lbs. towing capacity and the "dry" hitch weight of the trailer he bought, was at 590lbs.
and it will easily weigh at least 500lbs. more than the max of 5000lbs., when it loaded for camping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #17

Quote:
unfortunately, you've made the #1 newbie mistake, Believing the Dealer!
And don't feel TOO badly about it; you are definitely not the "lone stranger" in this regard!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount