Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Must propane be turned off when driving in ny or nj

Just drove up to maine from md using a garmin rv 660 gps. As soon as we got into nj the garmin stated an alert to turn off propane. Same alert in ct, mass, and ny. Never got it when driving south to fl or west to in or mi.

I figured out how to silence the alert but i am not aware of a state wide prohibirion on driving with open propane tank. Does anyone know?
pkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #2

I run mine in those states. Only place that's a problem are the tunnels in Baltimore. Bay tunnel bridge you turn off till other side.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

We always travel with it on. And I have NOT seen anything specific to it in NJ law title 39.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #4

X2!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #5

I live in CT and travel through NY and NJ. Run with propane on all the time. Only regulations I know of is upper level of GWB and motorhomes are not allowed on parkways in NY and CT.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #6

Propane on while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaplan View Post
Just drove up to maine from md using a garmin rv 660 gps. As soon as we got into nj the garmin stated an alert to turn off propane. Same alert in ct, mass, and ny. Never got it when driving south to fl or west to in or mi.

I figured out how to silence the alert but i am not aware of a state wide prohibirion on driving with open propane tank. Does anyone know?
I would not be surprised that some states might be outlawing open propane tanks on highways. it's risky in several ways. I almost set my motorhome on fire when a rear tire blew and the steel belts ripped my fender open missing the propane line by inches. Also, accidents such as rollovers could damage propane lines and trap you inside with escaping propane gas. Closing the valves at the tank is the safest option. Dometic and other ammonia cycle refrigerators stay cold well between rest stops. I turn on the Onan or the gas and run the fridge during stops. Compressor type refrigerators don't need propane on the highway.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I would not be surprised that some states might be outlawing open propane tanks on highways. it's risky in several ways. I almost set my motorhome on fire when a rear tire blew and the steel belts ripped my fender open missing the propane line by inches. Also, accidents such as rollovers could damage propane lines and trap you inside with escaping propane gas. Closing the valves at the tank is the safest option. Dometic and other ammonia cycle refrigerators stay cold well between rest stops. I turn on the Onan or the gas and run the fridge during stops. Compressor type refrigerators don't need propane on the highway.

Gasoline is more dangerous than propane, maybe they will outlaw gas in tunnels
M & A Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Really?? Watch this video if you think propane is that dangerous.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

It involves a lot of various conditions no matter propane or gas or diesel from your tv or camper they can all ignite in accidents. Look at rail cars derailing and boom. Tanks rupture. My self I travel with the fridge lit and for more years than I care to count. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #10

My Garmin does the same passing through NY. How did you finally silence It? I can't take the reminder veery mile or so so I just turn volume down but sometimes forget to bring it back up after clearing NY.
Harold Fay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #11

Mental note.....when pulling a trailer don't have any propane or gasoline in the pull vehicle or trailer....got it.
Brwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #12
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwk View Post
Mental note.....when pulling a trailer don't have any propane or gasoline in the pull vehicle or trailer....got it.
Well there are folks who have extra tanks for fuel or propane in there tv beds. So another veryable. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #13

Gasoline vs Propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by M & A Camping View Post
Gasoline is more dangerous than propane, maybe they will outlaw gas in tunnels
It's true that gasoline can be as dangerous as propane and they probably would outlaw it in tunnels if that was a realistic option. The big difference is that, though gasoline is volatile, it is not a gas at ambient temperatures. It does not rapidly escape and spread into all openings and through passageways and engulf it's surroundings like propane. Considering the consequences of what free propane does in the presence of a spark as shown in the video in this list of responses, being surrounded with propane from an severed line in an RV while rescuers are trying to cut you and your family out would not be an enviable predicament to be in. One spark and the camper could explode. That's why propane is classified as a hazardous material and there are signs on highways leading to some tunnels that prohibit such materials. A closed propane tank is pretty durable but the rubber and even the metal plumbing lines that carry it throughout a camper are very fragile and can easily be severed in an accident or tire failure. I certainly not willing to take the risk of exposing my family to an RV full of propane in case of an accident or steel belted tire failure.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #14

Propane turned off in tunnels

What about vehicles that use propane for fuel?
Are they outlawed in these areas as well?
Just wondering.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #15

Propane vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin the Life View Post
What about vehicles that use propane for fuel?
Are they outlawed in these areas as well?
Just wondering.
I have seen propane powered city busses. They may be restricted from tunnels. But then, perhaps they might have reinforced piping systems within the vehicles. Anyway, it's a good question.

RV propane piping is generally not at all reinforced or protected. An motorhome I once owned had a rubber propane line running right next to one of the rear duals and was shielded form the steel belted tire by only a very thin sheet aluminum shroud. One day the tire blew and the steel belt shredded the shroud but fortunately missed the rubber line.

Below is an interesting link. If I am reading it correctly, and I only looked at Washington DC and Virginia, but it appears that gas (Class 2) could be restricted from many roadway tunnels throughout the US.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...tricted-routes
Old 07-22-2017, 11:01 PM   #16

CNG Compressed Natural Gas Vechicles Also

There are vechicle that operate on compressed natural gas (CNG). Not too different from propane.

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaplan View Post

I've never turned mine off while up there and I've been towing for more years than most people are alive!

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #18

Quote:
I have seen propane powered city busses.

Below is an interesting link. If I am reading it correctly, and I only looked at Washington DC and Virginia, but it appears that gas (Class 2) could be restricted from many roadway tunnels throughout the US.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...tricted-routes
Interesting doc for knowledge. States no restrictions in NJ and only restrictions in NY city. Now, how do we get Garmin to update their alert. You can only snooze the audible alert. The alert still blocks your next turn direction.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #19
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Interesting doc for knowledge. States no restrictions in NJ and only restrictions in NY city. Now, how do we get Garmin to update their alert. You can only snooze the audible alert. The alert still blocks your next turn direction.
Email them
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:04 PM   #20

Many of our towns school busses run on propane.
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane