Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 AM   #1

must see and do in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg

Heading out the 28th for a week in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. Staying in Sevierville at Ripplin Waters campground. Started a list of things to see and do in the area. Our 2 kids are 15 and 17. Looking for suggestions of things I must see and do in the area. Thanks.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:07 AM   #2
Plain Old Member

We'll be in Pigeon Forge as well, arriving on the 29th at Pine Mountain RV Park. I have no idea what we'll be doing. We've been there several times, but this will be our first trip with our little ones, so who knows. There's so much stuff there, I can't think of what to tell you. It's kind of overwhelming. We've picked a few shows, and I know my wife has looked at a few things that the kids may be interested in. Never know, might run into yall. We'll only be staying 4 nights, then heading over to Kentucky for a bit.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

You may want to check out Waldens Creek Stables. Nice horseback riding and if you schedule for 7-2 they have a bonfire/cookout with entertainment. It is really great if somebody is having a birthday (bring a change of clothes). Here is a link to their website. They have a $5 off coupon on there as well.

Don't forget Dollywood also.

Waldens Creek Stable | Pigeon Forge Horseback Riding | Gatlinburg Horseback Riding
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #4

Never been there but was considering it..... Davel1971, make sure you report back on the trip and campground. I have a 12 and 16 year old and wasn't sure if the trip would interest them. Have fun and safe travels!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
NELA

Well for teenagers, there's the numerous go-cart tracks on "the strip". There's a brand new track (opened two nights before we left....DH haunted that place every day waiting) that is considered "high speed". MPHs in the 40s, IIRC, could be higher. Be prepared to do "training laps" prior to real racing. In fact, we were at that race track when the storm came up that nearly took our V-Lite awning with it. No worries with the 5er regarding that issue! We now have OC's handy-dandy awning brackets/poles. Let 'er rip, tater chip!

There are cart tracks for the young kids as well. And then there's the NASCAR cart track facility.

We made a run to Gatlinburg, managed to make it down their "strip" inside 45 minutes...bumper to bumper....finally found a place to turn around and drove right back to Pigeon Forge. Disappointing, since I visited Gatlinburg many years ago, before it was a tourist trap. It was a beautiful little town with the chalets on the mountain sides. We even did the ski lift trip for the view from the top back then.

We also drove over to Cherokee, NC and visited the Cherokee Village there. Educational *and* entertaining.

Some of the dinner shows can be good for adults and children. We did the Hatfields and McCoys show. So hokey it's hilarious, and good country style food!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
NELA

As mentioned, we stayed at Up A Creek RV park out off Walden Creek road. 5-7 minutes back to "the strip", but yet out far enough that you can view the stars at night.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
Site Team

Dollywood, Knife Store. In Gatlinburg theres a nice Aquarium. Drive through Great Smoky Mtns Natl Park to Cherokee, North Carolina. Nice drive to Cades Cove with lots of wildlife viewing. Saw 5 bears last time there.
Plenty of touristy things like go carts, water parks, putt putt, Live shows, etc.
AND EAT AT THE APPLE BARN! Love the fritters and apple butter.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

Been many times. Lots of tourist stuff. Knife store is awesome, Cades Cove is very nice. Check out this new attraction

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...4246895&type=3
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
DDC

There is so much choice there, it is one of those places that offer something for every age group but you are going at what will the busiest times of the year, I only went once at the beginning of July and it was like Disney at Christmas time. You will have a great time anyway.
Check out this site.

http://www.mypigeonforge.com/?ucid=E...NDYxNzQ3MTA0S0
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #10

must see and do in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg

Sugarland's on the strip in Gatlinburg. Free moonshine samples.

Also Roaring Fork Rd. It's a driving tour through the mountains with stops along the way with old houses and barns to look at. I actually enjoyed this the most.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

The Dixie Stampede Dinner Shows are very good and should be considered a 'must see'. You do have to make reservations.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #12

Dixie stampede and dollywood were high on our list. Probably will order tickets online before we go
Old 06-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Dollywood, Knife Store. In Gatlinburg theres a nice Aquarium. Drive through Great Smoky Mtns Natl Park to Cherokee, North Carolina. Nice drive to Cades Cove with lots of wildlife viewing. Saw 5 bears last time therePlenty of touristy things like go carts, water parks, putt putt, Live shows, etc.
AND EAT AT THE APPLE BARN! Love the fritters and apple butter.

OK, it's official, my brain is now old.

I forgot all about SMNP. We saw at least that many bear, and more deer than we could count, including a momma with young twins. Lots of areas to pull over and let the kids play in the mountain streams. Take the time to stop at the various historical cabins.

We've been thru SMNP twice now (DH and I) and I'd go back tomorrow.

Both times we've driven through, we spotted folks just pulling over to take a nap in their cars; seats back, windows down. It's that peaceful and ahhh the fresh mountain air.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #14

Yours boys will love the roller coasters at Dollywood, well if they are into roller coasters anyway.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #15

Smokies were our go-to summer vacatioin when DS & DD were tweens-teens; went every year! SO much to see and do - yes it is touristy and not cheap
Dollywood is fun and the water park addition is a great way to cool off.

Please do NOT miss Cades Cove! Drag 'em outta bed before sunup and get there just as the sun rises and you will think you are in a nature park! If you can't blast 'em outta bed, go at dusk. Not nearly as good but you will still see lots of wildlife.

Tip for next time: stay in Townsend (hope that link works). This is the so-call "peaceful Side" of the Smokies Quality of RV camping here is much better IMO, but YMMV if you want nightly access to gatlinburg nightlife.

Other things you should really do with teens:
White water Rafting! Upper Section | Tennessee Whitewater Rafting Smoky Mountains | Big Creek Expeditions Well worth the drive!

Lounge on a tube and float down the river, get picked up and transported back, rinse, repeat all day long!! This is one of the reasons we like townsend - fun activity and probably the best value you will find on your vacation!
Welcome to River Rage Tubing Company - the Tubing Headquarters of the Smoky Mountains!

Have fun and post picts!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The "Wheels through Time" museum in Maggie Valley, I heard was very nice. Cades Cove is nice for animal sightings, but be prepared! The loop can take up to 4 hours to get around ... Been there Done that! Not fun on 90* day, and on a bike.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #17

The Tuckaleechee Caverns in Towsend are a great place to spend a hot or rainy day.

http://www.tuckaleecheecaverns.com/index.htm
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
As mentioned, we stayed at Up A Creek RV park out off Walden Creek road. 5-7 minutes back to "the strip", but yet out far enough that you can view the stars at night.

This campground was by far one of the best ones that we have ever been to. I'm planning going back this fall.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #19
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
This campground was by far one of the best ones that we have ever been to. I'm planning going back this fall.
And if you want a nice quiet, private mountain drive, when you come out of the park take a left. That road will take you over the tip top of mountain ridges, and along the top of the ridges. I forgot which small town you come down in to.

But, we decided to go see "what's this way", eventually decided we were lost, but wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere so we just kept driving. Awesome scenery up there and only encountered one or two other vehicles. All paved roads too.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #20

I appreciate all the input so far. Keep it coming. We are SO looking forward to this trip and hopefully have planned enough for the big $$$$$ hit