Old 12-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #21
We are also planning a summer trip for a week to myrtle beach! Thank you everyone for the advice

FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
Professional Curmudgeon
Since you are staying near Murrells Inlet, a friend of mine always raved about the Inlet Crab House at 3572 Hwy 17 Business in Murrells Inlet...

2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Keystone Summerland Mini 1750RD
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
Reese dual cam SC/WDH
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
Myrtle beach

Where starting a week at ocean lakes in May 17-21st I believe. Have never been but my parents have. I hear march and April are great down there.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I'm marking both sites on my "to visit" list. Loved going to MB as a kid and camping with the folks, but those campgrounds have given way to condos and hotels.
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #25
We have stayed at PirateLand the last two years and loved it. In fact, already made reservations for next year.
2012 Sandpiper 365SAQ weighing @ 15k, Onan, 2nd air, slide toppers, TST
2013 F350 6.7L Lariat 4x4 CC DRW,Viair 1007, Ride-Rites, Edge CTS, B&W
2001 Chevy 3500CC DRW 4x4, 8.1L, 4.10 gears w/ Detroit TrueTrac
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #26
Been going to Ocean Lakes for over 20 years & would not stay any where else............ You can get around Rt 17 if coming down from north Myrtle Beach to Ocean Lakes that way is a little further but much less traffic.........

In Ocean Lakes the 3000 & 4000 Sections are quietest but a little further from the beach (but not that far).....H and HH sections see the most golf car traffic in the evening but Security has really been cracking down on under age driving & alcohol. Keep in mind they have nearly 900 camp sites & seasonal houses so there are a lot of people in the summer.

We stayed a week in July (Mustang Week), Labor day week & Thanksgiving week this last year. Each season is very different there.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #27
As members of Coast to Coast Resorts, we've been staying at Briarcliffe Resort (on Rt. 17 just north of the Walmart by MBTP). Briarcliffe is geared more towards vacationers or full timers with no children. Childrens' activities are limited but the pool and clubhouse are always clean. With all of our kids grown and gone, its perfect for us. It's "off" the beach on the west side of Rt.17 next to the intracoastal waterway. No campfires in Myrtle Beach I've been told (which confuses me considering a previous post). Alcohol doesn't seem to be an issue unless you cause a problem. Traffic can be a nightmare getting out to go further north during the "peak season" (as is going anywhere in MB during the summer months).

But, either way, you'll have a great time.
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #28
Smile kenk

Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
We are planning a trip to myrtle beach in June. We've narrowed it down to 2 CGs. Ocean lakes or Mrytle beach travel park. Who has any recommendations? I have a 42' 5er so
I need something that will fit. Thanks
you have made a good choice,
Ken K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
Myrtle beach

I have camped at both. My wife and I started camping at Ocean Lakes in 1993 and camped there every year until 2009. We have been camping at Myrtle Beach Travel Park for the last 4 years. Both have their ups and down. If you have very young kids then Ocean Lakes is for you. They have a great kiddie pool and arcade for them. The beach area though is not big enough for all of the campers and for all of the houses that the campground has allowed to be built in there. Also there is hundreds of teenagers driving golf carts around all the time especially late night. One year a group of teenagers playing around at night actually drove their golf cart into the rear of my brother in laws camper. Quite hrs are suppose to start at 11pm but the teenagers are out till after midnight on those golf carts and are not very quite. That's what finally drove me out of there. My kids are now 16 and 18 so I am not looking for the kiddie pools anymore. Myrtle Beach Travel Park doesn't allow golf carts except for the handicap so I don't have to worry about being run over and my camper being run in to. They do not have a kiddie pool but do have a lazy river. Their arcade for the kids isn't as big as ocean lakes either. But travel parks beach front is a whole lot bigger and we are not right on top of each other. At MB Travel Park everything is within walking distance or just a good bike ride to get around. But the biggest thing that will keep us going to MB Travel Park is when it starts to get dark is when it is very quite and enjoyable to sit outside under the awning with family and friends enjoying the peace and quite. That is just my take on both campgrounds. I also have enjoyed my beer everyday on the beach and in the campground so don't let that scare you.
Woodchuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #30
We stayed at Ocean Lakes this year in July and had a site next to the beach. Our site was right in the middle of the golf cart parade that goes on every night. Music, fireworks, lots of foot traffic too. Didn't bother us as we sat out, drank, played our own music and watched them. Security was really good about quiet time being at 2300 hrs. Traffic outside OL didn't seem like much of an issue getting around for us, you just have to plan ahead and not be in a hurry. There is a 17 for local and a 17 for an expressway. It was mentioned the beach area did not seem large enough for all the condos and trailer parks which is very true. Get to beach in early morning to mark your spot or it clears out around mid afternoon. We were lucky and had very good neighbors who let us know of all the food places and neat stuff to see. You will have fun there. Have a safe trip.

2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote