Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #1

Myrtle beach

We are planning a trip to myrtle beach in June. We've narrowed it down to 2 CGs. Ocean lakes or Mrytle beach travel park. Who has any recommendations? I have a 42' 5er so
I need something that will fit. Thanks
Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Always Learning

I've never been to either (or Myrtle Beach at all, in fact)- but from reading forums, here's what I think I remember:

If I recall correctly, MBTP has a "no alcohol" rule but I don't think it is enforced (nor am I finding any mention of it on their site). ON EDIT AFTER Bryan2503S' post: Per the rules- alcohol appears to be allowed.

I know there is at least 1 park in Myrtle Beach that doesn't allow campfires. I thought it was MBTP, but I'm not finding any mention to it on their site.

If I remember reading other forums, people have complained about the abundance of golf carts at Ocean Lakes.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #3

Ooohh. I will have to check the no alcohol rule. A week long family trip with no booze!? Lol.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

No alcohol or fire? why even bother....

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Always Learning

I couldn't find their rules and policies posted - I think you have to call them to ask questions.

For me, I'd have more of an issue with no campfires.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #6

We prefer Ocean Lakes. The grand kids love the pools, both indoor and outdoor. We often rent a golf cart and take the kids to see all the ducks, geese, and swans in the many small lakes within the park. They have food available for the ducks which is fun for the kids.

We will be there next week, for a week, without the kids. We get as close to the ocen as possible and always get a site with a concrete pad, which helps keep dirt and sand out of the rig.

Alcohol is no issue, you just cannot take it off your site. Also, motorcycles are not allowed. The must be park outside the front gate.

If you book online, you will be able to see the site size, both lenght and width, which will be important for your large rig. Free WiFi and cable TV are also nice.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #7

Alcohol is ok at site.

Here is are the only rules I could find.

Myrtle Beach Travel Park Map

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #8

you will need to make your reservations early with a long trailer. Most of the campsites are considerably smaller. My daughter and family and my wife and I have trailers 36' and it was very cramped. They do have some larger sites but you need early reservations. If you are not tied to those 2 camp grounds the Huntington Beach state park is very nice. Beware they do not allow alcohol. They are great otherwise. I think if you are prudent you could get away with the alcohol.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
Alcohol is ok at site.

Here is are the only rules I could find.

Myrtle Beach Travel Park Map
Agreed. I edited my post to reflect that.

Can someone explain this rule:
"Singles are not allowed to stay in your R.V. if you leave before checkout time."
I'm not even sure what that's saying...
Old 12-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #10

That is a weird rule... I spoke with both CG's, ocean lakes has less available that I would fit on, but some availability. I planned on making the reservation later this afternoon. Just wanted some first hand experience for this who have been there.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Professional Curmudgeon

We have stayed at MBTP many times at different times of the year.
Sites under the trees or at the lake are back in. All the sites at the beach are pull through. They have enough bath houses that you are never too far away from one, if you use them. Free wifi and cable. I normally don't watch TV so only used the cable once, it was cable. The wifi has improved over the years. It's still not the fastest, but it is reliable enough to take care of email and look up information online. They have an indoor pool and outdoor pool and a small lazy river. The store is pretty well stocked, and wal-mart is just around the corner. Motorcycles must be parked outside the gate, and only seasonal residents are allowed golf carts. Quite frankly, I prefer no golf carts. Everything is close enough to walk to in the park.
Each site has a covered picnic table, which helps define the boundries of your area. The sites are fairly close together, but not sardined in like Apache.
The only negatives are that all the "streets" are dirt/sand and they do not allow campfires (though I've never tried campfire in a can or similar there).
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Agreed. I edited my post to reflect that.

Can someone explain this rule:
"Singles are not allowed to stay in your R.V. if you leave before checkout time."
I'm not even sure what that's saying...
Many, many people keep their campers stored at the park or nearby (I used to be one of them). When you made your reservation, you simply checked in and your camper was delivered to the site. You could set it up yourself, or have them set it up for you. Check out is the reverse, you can "break camp" or have them do it for you. In either case, you simply drive out and go home, and the storage facility would pick up your camper and return it to storage.
I imagine the rule you are looking at is to discourage leaving early and letting somebody else stay in your camper.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
That is a weird rule... I spoke with both CG's, ocean lakes has less available that I would fit on, but some availability. I planned on making the reservation later this afternoon. Just wanted some first hand experience for this who have been there.
I've really heard good about both. Hopefully more folks come along with first-hand stays.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Professional Curmudgeon

I have friends that like Ocean Lakes as well.
HOWEVER
If you choose MBTP, coming from Ohio, 17 will dump you off within a couple blocks of the park.
If you choose Ocean Lakes, the summer traffic can add as much as 2 hours driving time to get down to South Myrtle Beach. The traffic is horrendous that time of year.
The good news is, you will miss bike week. We are going to Huntington Beach State Park in May, right in the middle of bike week. I can't seem to ever miss it...
Old 12-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I have friends that like Ocean Lakes as well.
HOWEVER
If you choose MBTP, coming from Ohio, 17 will dump you off within a couple blocks of the park.
If you choose Ocean Lakes, the summer traffic can add as much as 2 hours driving time to get down to South Myrtle Beach. The traffic is horrendous that time of year.
The good news is, you will miss bike week. We are going to Huntington Beach State Park in May, right in the middle of bike week. I can't seem to ever miss it...

Yes, I did check to make sure we would miss bike week. I wanted to avoid that. Never considered the traffic though. I'm leaning towards MBTP.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #16

Ok...Last minute change. Reservations are made @ Ocean Lakes. The concrete pads and campfires allowed were the deciding factors. Were arriving on a sunday afternoon/evening and hopefully traffic wont be too bad getting in. Staying for a week. Kids are already excited.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #17

Did you look at Pirateland? We've stayed there and have always had a good time.
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #18

Briefly, I was going with either of these based on recommendations made to me.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #19

Myrtle Beach

We stayed in Myrtle Beach in October this year on the recommendation of people who have been going there for 30 years. They recommended Pirates Landing which is right next to Ocean Lakes their second recommendation. They are all owned by the same people. We were just a few yards from the beach. Loved it! Walking on the beach at sunrise and sunset was majestic! The "no alcohol" rule is not absolute, just no obvious open containers and no loud drunks. I asked about it at the front desk when we checked in. We would stay there again. It was especially nice since the weather was clear, calm, and cool. Our three dogs loved running on the beach and playing in the sand. There were trash containers every few yards on the beach to deposit the dog's deposits in. At one point I ran out of poop bags and had to do it the old fashioned way with my hands. Of course I had plenty of sand under it. Didn't run short again. Hope this helps. Oh, we highly recommend the Rock Shrimp appetizer at the Wicked Tuna restaurant. Scrumptilliumptious! Tried many of their seafood dishes. All good.
Greytdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #20

X2 on Pirateland. We LOVED that lazy river.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote