Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Need Advice on Trip

I just purchased a 2014 Sunseeker 2300 last friday. When my kid gets out of school in June, we are planning a road trip. I will be leaving the Greensboro NC area headed north. I am planning on taking him to Hershey Pa. to the Hershey factory and amusement park. Stay around in the that area a few days visiting the Amish areas. Then we want to head west eventually ending up in Memphis TN. I plan on taking him on a boat trip on the Mississippi. We then will head back east stopping in the Pigeon Forge area for a few days and then back home. Gonna try to do this over a two week period.

Here are some questions I have:

- Best campground to stay in Hershey that has transportation to the factory and amusement park?

- Certain Amish areas you would recommend.

- When we head west would like to do a stay over a night or two. Anything between Pa. and Tn. you would recommend to include Campgrounds.

- Anything else to do in the Memphis area?

- May stop in Nashville for a night or two, so if you could recommend something, please do so.

I am pretty knowledgeable of the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

When I bought the RV, I got a free camping membership to the southeast zone of Thousand Trails. Pa. is not included, but TN is. So, worst case, I can use those facilities. But if they are anything like the one between Lexington NC and Mocksville NC, I would rather pay. Stayed there a few times and it is in need of some improvements. Too many locals allowed in with day passes on weekends causing problems. Place was not very clean. Kinda sad though because the kid and I enjoyed the mountain bike, golf cart trails. Maybe things have changed. If so, let me know. It is rather close to home.

Thanks in advance for your consideration in this matter and hope you can provide me some good ideas.

kcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Someone posted this site and just raved about it. I have not used it yet but plan to.

Miss D'Lynn
Charlotte, Mi
'14 Solaire 213X
MissDLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
You don't say what kind of stuff you're interested in but here's some spots to think about:

On the way north, if you go through Wash DC, the Air and Space Museum is GREAT (The main one is at Dulles airport, there's more at the one on the mall downtown), plus the usual Wash spots (Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Union Station, etc.). Cherry Hill CG in College Park is nice, but a bit pricey. However, the Metro is about a mile down the beltway; you can ride all day after 9:30am for about $5. We've stayed there twice. While you're at Cherry Hill, you can also hit the Goddard Space Flight Center a few miles east in Greenbelt, MD. They have a small museum there.

The Baltimore Inner Harbor has the USS Constellation, a submarine, and a lightship and the National Aquarium. And of course, Fort McHenry. Also the B&O Railroad Museum at Camden Yards (the first American RR was from Baltimore to Ellicott City, MD in 1830.)

On the east side of the Chesapeake Bay is the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels, MD.

Heading back south, the Gettysburg battlefield is always a winner. York, PA has the Harley-Davidson plant tour. Maybe a bit out of the way, but Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water in Mill Run, Pa is nice. Johnstown, Pa has the Johnstown Flood Museum that's interesting.
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
Please take the time to visit the flight 93 memorial and hopefully there will be a volunteer at the memorial site, to explain what happened that fateful day, which brought tears to our eyes. Directions - Flight 93 National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
Please take the time to visit the flight 93 memorial and hopefully there will be a volunteer at the memorial site, to explain what happened that fateful day, which brought tears to our eyes. Directions - Flight 93 National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

I agree, the Flight 93 is phenomenal. We visited it last year and it truly was amazing. The problem is, it's quite a bit west from Hershey, PA. It would take part of a day and likely would add an extra day of driving. We stayed at Pioneer Park Campground while we were there. They were nicely setup for overnight folks with level pull-thru spots towards the back and side of their campground. They weren't scenic and we were next to their storage lot, but it was good for an overnight.

For Hershey, the most convenient place to stay is Hershey Highmeadows campground. It's owned by Hershey and is literally across the road from the park. They have a shuttle to and from the park. It's not a great park, but it's nice for the convenience to the park/Chocolate World.

For traveling south, you could go down I-95 and hit the Williamsburg TT park. It's a bit tight but the Williamsburg area is nice. A little spendy, but the history is neat.

I'll second all of the DC monuments/museums. Cherry Hill campground is closest to the city and has a Metro bus stop right outside of it. If you don't need hookups, Greenbelt National Park is supposedly really nice. I did a work/lunch cookout there once, but wasn't where the campers are.

The Natural Bridge in Virginia, is neat. As is Tweetsie Railroad in NC near Lenoir (I think).
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Thank you for the replies. I should have made it clearer about what we, or should I say my son, like to do. Anything with water, mountain bike trails, amusement park related and we are good to go. We had considered some of the Washington DC area locations and may very well hit those on the way up.

I have no idea of the exact route I plan to take from PA to Memphis TN. If anybody has traveled that area before and come across something you think a 9yr old boy would enjoy, please advise. I am wide open to suggestions. I'd hate to travel that far and miss something. He is not much on the museums yet. Now if they had an Xbox or playstation museum we'd be there first. He is big into motorcycles, for he races off road and rides KTM's. He may enjoy the Harley location. I actually thought about the Hatfield/Mccoy trail system as a stop over.

But again, we are open to anything. I actually just like to head out and see what we can get into. But sometimes its nice to have options for the family. Keeps them off my back.
kcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
Need Advice on Trip

Dorney Park in Allentown PA is very nice, then you can also swing into Gettysburg on way back.
The Amish country is nice but not much to really see besides farms and some shops.
The Harley Davidson Museum/Factory is nice in York PA. The factory tour is extra but well worth it ( buy tickets online before going and they have age restrictions for the "steel toe boots tour"... The other tour has no age restrictions)
If your kids are mountain bikers, skate boarders, roller bladders or cheerleaders look into camp Woodward for a few days in Woodward pa.

In Gettysburg you can horse back ride in the battlefields I suggest the earlier morning appointment as it does get very hot during the day.

Nashville has a really nice Jellystone park close to the grand ol opera and they have a huge mall for rainy day things with a Dave and busters to let the kids play some video games. Nashville has tons to do.
I would skip the Amish country and throw a little history into the mix with Gettysburg and Nashville as they will or have learned about Gettysburg and Nashville in school.
We drove cross country three times and had a few days of fun and a few days of fun with a mix of our countries history so they kids could bring pictures into school for history class.

DC is great but the RV parks are farther away and parking can be a nightmare with a pickup truck if it's a Dually. DC is free for almost all museums. Changing of the guard is AWESOME at Arlington cemetery. Air and space is awesome and the American History museum is awesome with everything in it similar to the Henry ford museum in Michigan. The Law Enforcement memorial is awesome also in DC very moving as a cop gets killed every day in the country.

There is a nice camp ground near six flags of Marlboro MD (closest amusement park to DC). I forget the name of camp ground.

I've rambled on enough if you need more info Message me and I'll xerox my wife's camping log of each area we have been around and mail them to you.

Book reservations early for Hershy PA, Gettysburg and DC as it is a busy time up north for all of us campers.

Good luck have fun
2014 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually
2014 FR Vengeance 312a Toy Hauler
New England, USA
msalvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
Heading from pa down towards gatlinburg you can use 1-81. That will run you right through Shenandoah natl park. Luray and front royal have many campgrounds and may break up the drive into two days for you. There's luray caverns which is nice and a yogi bear campground with a nice watermark. So much to see in Shenandoah. Nature, hiking, horseback riding. Etc. good luck

Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote