Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #1

Need an east coast recommendation! Help!

Hi everyone. Fairly new to camping, bought a camper last year and would like to find a great secluded camping experience, so any forest or wooded camping that includes hookups would be great. I've used it a few times last year and everywhere we went it was like camping on top of others. I live near DC and would like it somewhere within 3 hours drive. Thanks ahead of time! Jimmy
jimmyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Just Love to Camp

Check out Virginia State parks. Not super secluded but some not right on top of each other with hook ups. Also check iut some regional parks. Natural Chimneys is one in my area. To get super secluded your chances of hook ups will probably be limited. HAPPY CAMPING

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #3

I'd second the State Park recommendation. We like being on the water and like Lake Ana and the James River State Parks.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #4

Thanks. We like to hike and also be near water, but primarily have room and a great view. I don't have to have all three hookups but have a hybrid trailer that doesn't have a massive water tank so water and electric would be great. Any specific park recs would be great! Thanks for the feedback so far
Old 03-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #5

I would recommend RVPARK REVIEWS. COM if you have not already checked them out. Also recreation.gov is another site to use; in fact you need this site to reserve camp sites on federal lands. Another area for camping sites are C.O.E. (core of engineering) parks.

I have included both links for your needs.

Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

I have used both of these sites for my needs and there are some wonderful C.O.E. parks within the three to four hours of you. Especially along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #6

RV Park Reviews.com is a great way to find good campgrounds. Here's a link to Virginia State Parks. Many of those campgrounds have at least water and electric hookups including the two I referenced above.

Virginia State Parks
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #7

Check out Philpot Lake COE in Bassett, VA

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #8

My favorite is Lake Moomaw. It is a longer haul but well worth it if you can stay 4 days or more you'll think your in Canada. I live in Fredericksburg, VA and it takes 4.5 hours.
jth8696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyapple View Post
Hi everyone. Fairly new to camping, bought a camper last year and would like to find a great secluded camping experience, so any forest or wooded camping that includes hookups would be great. I've used it a few times last year and everywhere we went it was like camping on top of others. I live near DC and would like it somewhere within 3 hours drive. Thanks ahead of time! Jimmy
Chippokes Plantation State Park

Chippokes... very quite with hook ups
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #10

We like this state park in S Georgia. Nice clean park on the lake. You can ride train to Jimmy Carters home town of Plains. Georgia Veterans State Park | Georgia State Parks
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyapple View Post
I live near DC and would like it somewhere within 3 hours drive.
Your best bet for a "wilderness experience" with hook ups will be the Va. - Md. - W.Va. state parks. From my experience, Douthat, Westmoreland Lake Anna, James River and Belle Isle state parks in Virginia would do for you.
In West Va., I recommend Canaan Valley and Blackwater Falls. I haven't stayed in any of Maryland's parks, but there's a mess of 'em close to DC.
State parks tend to be more spread out (space between sites) and offer more in the way of wilderness/nature-oriented activities.
The best way to get help on this (and other sites) is to be specific about your time of year and interests for a particular trip.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:56 PM   #12

East Coast recommendations

West Virginia has some great state parks with hook-ups.
ImGree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Getting a bit far for you but some good state parks in NC. Kerr lake and Jordan Lake come to mind. Bunch of stuff in the mountains of nc too.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #14

+ 1 on Kerr Lake
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #15

Really appreciate the recommendations and will probably venture a bit father based on all the feedback. Thanks everyone- awesome forum!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #16
Paradise has arrived!

Elk Neck State Park in MD was always nice. Haven't been there in years but the sites were nice and secluded.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #17

Caledonia State Park in Southern Pennsylvania. Near Gettysburg. I haven't been, but I've been told good things.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:21 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerpt View Post
Caledonia State Park in Southern Pennsylvania. Near Gettysburg. I haven't been, but I've been told good things.

I've heard it is nice. I've been to Pine Grove Furnace State Park many times which is just down the road. It's easily my most favorite campground of all time- so many childhood memories there!

My review of Pine Grove Furnace SP
Old 03-30-2015, 06:07 AM   #19
Norma in Maryland

Virginia has a State parks website that is excellent and a mailing list of activities with features on various parks. In Maryland Pocomoke State parks are near Assateague and Chincoteague Islands. They are also on the Pocomoke river. Very spacious and peaceful. We've used these parks when we couldn't find anything nearer to the ocean.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:21 AM   #20

We enjoyed Cunningham Falls State Park in Maryland. We haven't been there in over 10 years and we only tent camped so I am not sure what utilities are provided. The RV sites may be electric only. Water is available in the campground.
1beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote