Old 01-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Harrisburg, PA I would skip or just look for a state park if it is a must stop place. PA has some nice state park camping.

Boston, MA I would skip as well.

Portland, ME go to Freeport instead & boondock at LL Bean's flagship store that is open 24 hrs.

Bar Harbor, ME Backwoods Camp ground (no hookups)in the national park. Look 6 months in advance.

Baltimore, MD go to Greenbelt National Park (no hookups). Metro stations will take you to the Smithsonian if you want to see some of Washington DC. There is also small county park with electric near Bel Air (1 hour north of Baltimore on I95) that is nice.

NC I have no idea. South of the Border is not a real great place to camp.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2010 Toyota Tundra 4WD
lswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #12
For sites near Bar Harbor, Hadley's Point Campground is on the island about four miles from the entrance to Acadia NP is a nice family campground run by very nice folks and with reasonable prices for the area. Stayed there many times. Further away on Bucksport Road just south of Ellsworth, is Forest Ridge Campground. It's a quiet campground with nearly all large pull through sites that are full hookup, 50 amp, wifi, and cable. It also is run by really nice folks. We stayed there for the season last summer and really enjoyed it. We'll be back this year. Ellsworth is about 25 or 30 minutes from Bar Harbor. Traffic in the area can be pretty heavy in the summer.

FroggyRon (Ron)
2014 Forest River Georgetown XL 377
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4X4 toad
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
Winter Island Park, Salem MA

Winter Island Park on Salem Harbor! Book early for the waterfront RV sites. The Salem trolley stops in front of the camp store at the marina. Salem is one of the most historic towns in a very historic area and is a 20 mile drive into downtown Boston.
Salem Massachusetts - Winter Island Attractions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150817_184834.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	97425  
CT3850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #14
As Rambler Guy said, Bar Harbor Campground is nice. They have a great system. No reservations. Drive in and find a site, set up, and then go pay for it. First come, first serve.
PeterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #15

Portland - Bayley's in Scarborough
Mt Desert - Acadia NP Seawall Campground
Maineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #16
Scranton vs Harrisburg

If Harrisburg is a destination, Gifford Pinchot SP is a good one. But a favorite of ours is Frances Slocum SP,near Scranton. Our black lab loves swimming at Frances Slocum. Great beautiful hiking area around the lake.
RverAnn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #17
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I am in the middle of planning a trip to New England from Georgia and need some campground recommendations for the following places. Thanks.

Harrisburg, PA
Boston, MA
Portland, ME
Bar Harbor, ME
Baltimore, MD
Greensboro, NC
Boston, MA Recommend: Boston Minuteman CG - nice wooded sites, clean facilities and great staff. 20 minute drive to Alewife station - End of the red T line. Can be CG to Boston Common Station in 50min.

Bar Harbor, ME Recommend: Bar Harbor Campground - great clean sites with ocean views. Wild blueberries growing throughout - help yourself. BBQ/Ice Cream stand adjacent and a short drive to Acadia Visitors Center.

2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2011 F150 Super Crew 4x4 5.0L - Traded!
2016 F350 Lariat Ultimate Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #18
Thanks everyone, looking to book my sites soon. I am still looking for a site near Providence, RI just as an overnighter. Also looking at Harrisburg, PA and Greensboro, NC as overnighters.
2014 Sunseeker 2860DS
gmacklem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #19
Don't know about other places but in Harrisburg I would highly recommend Jonestown KOA. It's just off 81, outside of Harrisburg so you can avoid city traffic. The site we had was pull-thru and level. We opted to camp along the little stream. Gas station outside the park. Park has a small store and also serves lite meals. As a previous poster suggested, go to Never been disappointed with the advice of fellow travelers. They are usually dead-on.
2012 Sabre 250RLUD
2011 GMC 1500 Sierra
Max Tow, 6.2, 3.73
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:01 AM   #20
If you want to stop at Harrisburg, try Intercourse,PA Beacon Hill is a nice campground, it's adults only, in the middle of Amish country

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote