Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Need campground recommendations for New England trip

I am in the middle of planning a trip to New England from Georgia and need some campground recommendations for the following places. Thanks.

Harrisburg, PA
Boston, MA
Portland, ME
Bar Harbor, ME
Baltimore, MD
Greensboro, NC
Old 01-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #2

Been to Bar Harbor, ME twice. Both times I stayed at Narrows Too located on Bar Harbor Road in Trenton, Me.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I am in the middle of planning a trip to New England from Georgia and need some campground recommendations for the following places. Thanks.

Harrisburg, PA
Boston, MA
Portland, ME
Bar Harbor, ME
Baltimore, MD
Greensboro, NC
We stayed in the campground that is in Acadia National Park...maybe Blackwoods? We really liked the location and privacy of the sites. Also, the beauty of the park!

In Portland, we stayed at Wassampki Springs. Do not recommend it though.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:39 AM   #4
Wait till next year...

For Portland we've stayed at Wild duck and Baileys in Scarborough just south of Portland. Wild Duck is a small adult CG spaces are a little tight . It is a very quiet park. Baileys down the road is polar opposite big active family CG. It has water park,adult pool and good sized pull thru sites. Just down the road toward the beach on the left try the seafood restaurant was very good. In Acadia we have stayed at Bar Harbor CG really enjoyed it. No reservation policy. The BBQ restaurant next door was a plus. Bar Harbor KOA has sites on the water but is very expensive. In Southwest Harbor the "quiet side Smugglers Den has some good sized concrete pad sites and back ins. The Italian restaurant across the street is a favorite
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #5

campgroundreviews.com

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #6

We also stayed at Bar Harbor Campground. It's a nice place. The sites on the interior roads are wooded and were more private. The sites up the hill nearer the water were crowded.

Be aware that RV access is limited in Acadia NP. The roads were built for carriages and some roads are too tight for RV's.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #7

We stayed at the KOA Oceanside in Bar Harbor July 2015. Beautiful location, clean bath houses, spacious sites and lots of activities for the whole family. They also have a snack bar where guests can enjoy a fresh caught lobster meal! If you aren't towing, the campground is on the Island Explorer bus route. Highly recommend a stay here!
leecarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #8

https://minutemancampground.com/ This located right off interstate 495 and close to public transportation to take you into Boston. Very nice cg run by great people. Further to the south in the Boston area is Middleboro, Massachusetts Campground | Boston / Cape Cod KOA. Again , close to public transportation to take you into Boston. Within 10 miles of historic Plymouth. 50 mile to Hyannis . Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA ( If you want more info, send me a message
2013 Prime Crusader 5th Wheel 290RL
2006 Glendale Titanium 5th wheel 30E35TS
2015 GMC Sierra Z-71, 1500, std bed, 4 WD, 5.3, 3.42
camperdave825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #9

Boston

For Boston . . . Normandy Farms (Foxboro, 30 mi south of Boston). Nice . . . pricey!
Old 01-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #10

I'll take a guess that you're coming up 81. Look at either of the Hershey campgrounds.

But Baltimore to Harrisburg / Hershey is only 2.5hours... so if you plan to stay in Baltimore then you wouldn't want to stop over in Hershey. If you want to look in between the two come out of Baltimore on Rt 70 and over to Rt 15 and stop over in Gettysburg. Lots to see there and lots of campgrounds to choose from. We're doing a Rally at Gettysburg Campground, but Drummer Boy is nice, Round Top is also nice.

15 then connects back into 81 / 83 in Harrisburg and you're back on your way.

"I need a time out, send me to the mountains and don't let me out until my attitude changes!"
BKBuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #11

Harrisburg, PA I would skip or just look for a state park if it is a must stop place. PA has some nice state park camping.

Boston, MA I would skip as well.

Portland, ME go to Freeport instead & boondock at LL Bean's flagship store that is open 24 hrs.

Bar Harbor, ME Backwoods Camp ground (no hookups)in the national park. Look 6 months in advance.

Baltimore, MD go to Greenbelt National Park (no hookups). Metro stations will take you to the Smithsonian if you want to see some of Washington DC. There is also small county park with electric near Bel Air (1 hour north of Baltimore on I95) that is nice.

NC I have no idea. South of the Border is not a real great place to camp.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #12

For sites near Bar Harbor, Hadley's Point Campground is on the island about four miles from the entrance to Acadia NP is a nice family campground run by very nice folks and with reasonable prices for the area. Stayed there many times. Further away on Bucksport Road just south of Ellsworth, is Forest Ridge Campground. It's a quiet campground with nearly all large pull through sites that are full hookup, 50 amp, wifi, and cable. It also is run by really nice folks. We stayed there for the season last summer and really enjoyed it. We'll be back this year. Ellsworth is about 25 or 30 minutes from Bar Harbor. Traffic in the area can be pretty heavy in the summer.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #13

Winter Island Park, Salem MA

Winter Island Park on Salem Harbor! Book early for the waterfront RV sites. The Salem trolley stops in front of the camp store at the marina. Salem is one of the most historic towns in a very historic area and is a 20 mile drive into downtown Boston.
Salem Massachusetts - Winter Island Attractions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150817_184834.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	97425  
CT3850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #14

As Rambler Guy said, Bar Harbor Campground is nice. They have a great system. No reservations. Drive in and find a site, set up, and then go pay for it. First come, first serve.
PeterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #15

Campgrounds

Portland - Bayley's in Scarborough
Mt Desert - Acadia NP Seawall Campground
Enjoy!
Maineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #16
Ann

Scranton vs Harrisburg

If Harrisburg is a destination, Gifford Pinchot SP is a good one. But a favorite of ours is Frances Slocum SP,near Scranton. Our black lab loves swimming at Frances Slocum. Great beautiful hiking area around the lake.
RverAnn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post

Harrisburg, PA
Boston, MA
Portland, ME
Bar Harbor, ME
Baltimore, MD
Greensboro, NC
Boston, MA Recommend: Boston Minuteman CG - nice wooded sites, clean facilities and great staff. 20 minute drive to Alewife station - End of the red T line. Can be CG to Boston Common Station in 50min.

Bar Harbor, ME Recommend: Bar Harbor Campground - great clean sites with ocean views. Wild blueberries growing throughout - help yourself. BBQ/Ice Cream stand adjacent and a short drive to Acadia Visitors Center.

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #18

Thanks everyone, looking to book my sites soon. I am still looking for a site near Providence, RI just as an overnighter. Also looking at Harrisburg, PA and Greensboro, NC as overnighters.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #19

Don't know about other places but in Harrisburg I would highly recommend Jonestown KOA. It's just off 81, outside of Harrisburg so you can avoid city traffic. The site we had was pull-thru and level. We opted to camp along the little stream. Gas station outside the park. Park has a small store and also serves lite meals. As a previous poster suggested, go to rvreviews.com. Never been disappointed with the advice of fellow travelers. They are usually dead-on.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:01 AM   #20

If you want to stop at Harrisburg, try Intercourse,PA Beacon Hill is a nice campground, it's adults only, in the middle of Amish country

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg