Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Senior New Member

New England Fall 2016 Reference Guide

Would anyone please recommend their favorite RV travel guide / reference for visiting New England in the Fall? This will be our first trip to the area by 5th wheel RV (32 ft Crusader) and would appreciate any advice from more experienced RV'ers. We've subscribed to RV Trip Planner, which is excellent, but could benefit from a more definitive plan to help with input. Thanks
ausstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
Retired

In my opinion, New England in the fall is a great time to visit....Sept-Oct (though many CGs close Columbus weekend) no bugs, summer vacationers have left, the fall air is crisp, farm stands are full of local grown fruit/veg and many of the museums, historical sites, state/national parks, restaurants are still open . I would encourage you to check out the following state tourist sites VT, NH & ME.They will provide a good overview of the areas you might want to visit and then you can narrow down your search for those areas you might want to camp at via RV Trip Planner, Good Sam Trip Planner or from the responses you will receive on this Forum. Many people come to NE in the fall for the foliage colors (leaf-peppers). If fall foliage colors, mountains, local culture is a criteria in your planning I would recommend stating in western VT traveling into NH and then into ME ending up in Bar Harbor (Acadia NP).

When you narrow down your criteria for the NE fall trip re-post. I'm sure there will be more helpful suggestions.

HAPPY TRAILS
HOOK'EM HORNS
Old 06-19-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Senior New Member

New England this Fall?

We have a week reserved at Acadia NP in Sept. Since New England is so popular in the Fall, is it necessary to make as many early reservations as possible or is there ample RV sites in the area to just wing it? Thanks again for your reply?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
Retired

if you have a particular area in mind (Bar Harbor) I would suggest making reservations ....better safe than sorry but with that said we have found great CGs just by calling when we are on the road using one of the CG apps.
When you are in BH if you like sea food eating at the Thirsty Whale on Cottage St. in BH, locally owned and fresh sea food is a must...for "northern" BBQ try Mainely Meat Barbecue at Atlantic Brewing Companyalso locally owned and local meats. Spend an evening on the Sea Princess Cruises out of Northeast Harbor the sun set cruise and the Somes Sound Fjord Cruise are great.
Also there are some outstanding botanical gardens on the Island...Thuya Gardens in Northeast Harbor, Asticou Gardens in Seal Harbor, and the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Garden in Seal Harbor.
Let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to do when in Maine and I'll do my best to help

Happy Trails
Old 06-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #5

New England Trip

Ausstar, you didn't say how long you planned to be gone but we did a similar trip this past Fall. We were gone for 7 weeks and had a fantastic time. I still have the campgrounds we stayed in and what we did at each location. If you are interested, I can send this to you. We made our reservations 1 year in advance, although I know lots of folks like to "wing it" and make reservations as they go. We didn't because of the time of year we were traveling. And it was very nice, especially since there were 2 motorhomes traveling together, knowing we had side-by-side reservations wherever we went. You will totally enjoy the New England area. We'd go back to Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine in a heartbeat!
Old 06-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #6

New England Trip

Ausstar, you didn't say how long you planned to be gone but we did a similar trip this past Fall. We were gone for 7 weeks and had a fantastic time. I still have the campgrounds we stayed in and what we did at each location. If you are interested, I can send this to you. We made our reservations 1 year in advance, although I know lots of folks like to "wing it" and make reservations as they go. We didn't because of the time of year we were traveling. And it was very nice, especially since there were 2 motorhomes traveling together, knowing we had side-by-side reservations wherever we went. You will totally enjoy the New England area. We'd go back to Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine in a heartbeat!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausstar View Post
We have a week reserved at Acadia NP in Sept. Since New England is so popular in the Fall, is it necessary to make as many early reservations as possible or is there ample RV sites in the area to just wing it? Thanks again for your reply?
We were up September/October most rv had plenty of spaces. I think maybe a lot of weekenders drive up but never had any problems. Might watch alot of side streets dead end in the smaller towns along the coast.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #8

We are from NE and heading there for the summer.RV sites are very difficult to get from Memorial day to Labor day, but after that usually is not an issue.In Maine the wells and Portland area are nice Massachusetts Cape Cod.
Gualter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Wait till next year...

X2 MainlyUS I would add the Carriage roads in the national park. Great to walk,ride a bike,ride a horse or take a carriage ride. In New Hampsire I'd recommend Ellacoya SP on Lake Winnipesaukee full hookups, Quechee and Lake Elmore SP in Vermont(no hookups) but bigger sites and Apple Island Resort just above Burlington.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #10

We are interested in NE next fall. Would be there several weeks. Would love info on campgrounds. We have 5th wheel. Thanks, Rango.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #11

Saco River campground North Conway NH . Great campground and a lot to do in the area.
campingbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
Senior New Member

New England this Fall?

We will be glad to post reviews of those places we stay.... Outbound from Austin on Aug 25 arriving Acadia Natl Park Sept 15th, including 2 nights at 4 mile creek Park near Niagara Falls. We plan to be on the road through end of October and will post when we next have internet access. Thanks, Ausstar