Old 11-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #1

New Orleans

Has anyone got experience with the RV park near the French Quarter in New Orleans thinking about going there over Christmas. It would be our first experience with urban camping.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

I've heard good things about the RV park but heard that outside of it is a rough area. If/when I go to NO, that's where I'll stay.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:25 AM   #3

Camped at the French Quarter. It's gated, very secure. My wife and I walked the area, had no problems.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

We stayed here....Pontchartrain Landing Cam, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112 - 6001 France Rd, From Jct of I-10 exit 239B, exit to Louisa St N, N 0.2 mi (lt) to Chef Menteur, E 0.4 mi (rt) to France Rd, N 1.1 mi, GPS: 30.01592, -90.03245
Nice park near the water, in an industrial (boat building) area. Arranged tour from campground.

FLBrutus
Old 11-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Traveler View Post
Has anyone got experience with the RV park near the French Quarter in New Orleans thinking about going there over Christmas. It would be our first experience with urban camping.
We stayed here last summer.

French Quarter RV Resort - French Quarter RV Resort

Great experience. You will be driving in the city to get there, but the directions from the staff were spot on. A little expensive, but the location was great. Taxi will pick you up and drop you off at your site. $6 each way for 2 people. Hostess was very friendly and helpful. Site was brick pavers and very level. Pool, etc. on site. If you stay here you should be able to enjoy New Orleans. Happy Camping!!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Traveler View Post
Have you been to this area before? If not, I can probably give you a few pieces of advice on what to do and how to get around the Vieux Carre' area cheaply and easily.

I should be back down there for our high school football championships the second weekend of December.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #7

I have been to the area before but it has been years. Seems like a lot of people are suggesting walking during day but cab at night to and from campsite.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #8

French Quarter RV Park: Very nice park, Brick Paver roads, sites are expensive. The surrounding area around the park is like any big city: a little urban, watch for anyone looking for tourists or easy targets. Just be aware of your surroundings, don't be "flashy". Be smart about who you talk to.

Ponchartrain Landing is a very nice park, dirt roads, sites plenty but close together. This park too is in a more "urban" area, so same precautions apply. Not a far drive to the French Quarter from this campground.

If you are looking for a swamp tour: Honey Island Swamp Tours offers a pretty good tour for about $20.00 per person. Reservations are required.

The French Quarter Haunted History walking tour is a great tour. The tour covers about 4 blocks and it usually is during the day so the stories are scary, but the tour isn't. The horse and carriage tours usually cover the same area/information but those tours are much more expensive and the information given is usually a little more condensed due to time constraints.

If you are interested in seeing any of the New Orleans Cemeteries, it is better to go with one of the tour companies rather than go alone. Thieves have been known to hide between the tombs and rob people as they walk by. Again, just be aware of your surroundings.

The New Orleans Aquarium is along the River Front. There are tour companies that offer a tour that consists of The Aquarium then a River Boat Ride to the Audubon Zoo for 1 price. Usually about $30-$40 per person. You can also take the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar all the way to the zoo. The Streetcar goes through "The Garden District" (which has beautiful homes) it also passes in front of Tulane University before ending at the zoo. That Streetcar line makes a giant circle if you just want to ride to see the sights.

Across the Mississippi River Bridge is Blain Kern's Mardi Gras World which is a huge warehouse where the Mardi Gras floats are stored. There is also a museum that showcases Mardi Gras history.

Most people that have seen pictures of New Orleans will recognize Jackson Square. Inside Jackson Square there is St. Louis Cathedral which is open to the public (unless there is a mass going on). Also in Jackson Square there are 2 museums. One has The Katrina Museum and the other one has History of New Orleans. Both museums give discounts for retired and active military. Jackson Square is usually where you will see many "street performers" and artists.

Across from Jackson Square there is Cafe' DuMonde where you can get coffee and Beignets (which are French donuts). About 2 blocks down is the French Market where you can buy New Orleans food, drinks, and souvenirs.

While in New Orleans try the food! We have several fabulous restaurants but warning: the food is ADDICTIVE!! Once you taste it, you WILL come back for more!

Enjoy your stay!
Karen
RKNOLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

Thank you Karen, some great suggestions that we will definitely try out.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #10

Huh?? You didn't show us all those places when we were down there Karen. Lol. Good info. Guess I'll have to come back for another tour.

Russell