Old 02-14-2015, 02:25 AM   #1

New York City, May, where to camp outside NYC

Wife and I plan trip across northern states and into NYC, probably in May.
Need info on nice rv parks outside NYC but near bus or Metro/transportation for day trips into NYC, 911 Memorial,, Broadway, Times Square etc. Thank you.
Wnaderer

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #2

We have not stayed here but we were considering a NY city trip also.

Liberty Harbor RV Park - Jersey City, NJ - RV Park Reviews

Liberty Harbor RV Park

I think there may be a few campgrounds on Long Island close to the city also. Not sure about the train or bus access.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #3

Well, the tough part will be getting from the RV park to public transportation. I'd look into the other posters suggestion and see how they (Liberty) suggest you get to the public transportation station. You really don't want to drive in Manhattan. The sites you mention (all in Manhattan) you want to visit, are all easily accessible by the subway. Never did it the RV way, but have been to NYC numerous times. So if interested, drop me a pm.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #4

Liberty Harbor is basically a parking lot on the waterfront at a marina. It is walking distance from the NY Waterway Ferry... you can take the ferry to midtown (44th St. near the Javits Center and the USS Intrepid) or to the financial district/WTC port or to the Wall St port. No matter which port you take the ferry to, there is a Waterway shuttle bus that circles three or four routes in Manhattan that you can hop on/hop off...

New York Attractions - NY Waterway

They even have a app that lets you see exactly where the shuttle buses are real time...

There are a few other ways to camp and see NYC... It all depends on how much time you have and how far you are willing to drive...

Also, you are really close to Liberty State Park, you can get to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty from there on the NJ side.

I live in the northeast corner of NJ, 20 minutes w/o traffic from midtown. There are a few campgrounds in Long Island, but traversing NYC to get to them is challenging and can be pricy with tolls.

Driving in midtown is like driving in any other city, I would not say to completely avoid it, but rather to use common sense and avoid rush hour and drive safe.

There are a few other campgrounds that are within a hour, and a few tricks to getting into NYC that I can help with...

Feel free to PM for more details.

2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Lariat Ultimate Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

I would suggest you stay at Croton on the Hudson in Croton, NY. We stayed there 2 years ago and will be there again this May for 2 weeks. It is north of NYC and about 1 mile from the train station. It's about a 40 minute ride into Grand Central and from there you have subway access all over. Be sure to take the express train. Parking is, I think about $9 a day. Can't remember the train cost but if you're old enough there is a senior discount. I actually think the ticket for senior was $10 round trip. Park is right on the Hudson River, gravel roads and sites, but level. Rate is $50 a night or $240 a week. You have to call the park directly to make reservations. Nothing fancy but if you're going to be gone in the city all day, who cares. I was able to get all the local tv chanels with my RV antena. The park is large and plenty of room to walk. We'll be there about the last 2 weeks in May. If you decide to stay there maybe we can connect.

Good luck,
Rodney
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #6

1Texan-

That was going to be my next suggestion, Croton Point, but I haven't been there yet and was hesitant to bring it up. I have a reservation there for last weekend in April to check it out... it falls off the radar because it is a Westchester County Park rather than a state park.

2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Lariat Ultimate Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #7

Central Park? LOL
Old 02-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Wife and I plan trip across northern states and into NYC, probably in May.
Need info on nice rv parks outside NYC but near bus or Metro/transportation for day trips into NYC, 911 Memorial,, Broadway, Times Square etc. Thank you.
Wnaderer
We stayed here several years ago and it was nothing to brag about. Like the reviews state, it is a parking lot. The best thing going for this place is the location. To catch the subway into NYC, you are not walking in the best part of town, we got back to the camper before dark. The camping fee is expensive for what it is, but it is basically the only game in town.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

I would look for an RV Park in Westchester County. Easy train ride in and several nice cities around.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #10

There is also a large RV park in Florida, NY, just off Rte 17. It has full , amenities, very wooded and private. They run shuttles daily into the city for guests so you can leave the TV at the site. I believe it's the closest true RV park to the city.