Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 02:25 AM   #1

New York City, May, where to camp outside NYC

Wife and I plan trip across northern states and into NYC, probably in May.
Need info on nice rv parks outside NYC but near bus or Metro/transportation for day trips into NYC, 911 Memorial,, Broadway, Times Square etc. Thank you.
Wnaderer

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #2

We have not stayed here but we were considering a NY city trip also.

Liberty Harbor RV Park - Jersey City, NJ - RV Park Reviews

Liberty Harbor RV Park

I think there may be a few campgrounds on Long Island close to the city also. Not sure about the train or bus access.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #3

Well, the tough part will be getting from the RV park to public transportation. I'd look into the other posters suggestion and see how they (Liberty) suggest you get to the public transportation station. You really don't want to drive in Manhattan. The sites you mention (all in Manhattan) you want to visit, are all easily accessible by the subway. Never did it the RV way, but have been to NYC numerous times. So if interested, drop me a pm.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #4

Liberty Harbor is basically a parking lot on the waterfront at a marina. It is walking distance from the NY Waterway Ferry... you can take the ferry to midtown (44th St. near the Javits Center and the USS Intrepid) or to the financial district/WTC port or to the Wall St port. No matter which port you take the ferry to, there is a Waterway shuttle bus that circles three or four routes in Manhattan that you can hop on/hop off...

New York Attractions - NY Waterway

They even have a app that lets you see exactly where the shuttle buses are real time...

There are a few other ways to camp and see NYC... It all depends on how much time you have and how far you are willing to drive...

Also, you are really close to Liberty State Park, you can get to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty from there on the NJ side.

I live in the northeast corner of NJ, 20 minutes w/o traffic from midtown. There are a few campgrounds in Long Island, but traversing NYC to get to them is challenging and can be pricy with tolls.

Driving in midtown is like driving in any other city, I would not say to completely avoid it, but rather to use common sense and avoid rush hour and drive safe.

There are a few other campgrounds that are within a hour, and a few tricks to getting into NYC that I can help with...

Feel free to PM for more details.

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

I would suggest you stay at Croton on the Hudson in Croton, NY. We stayed there 2 years ago and will be there again this May for 2 weeks. It is north of NYC and about 1 mile from the train station. It's about a 40 minute ride into Grand Central and from there you have subway access all over. Be sure to take the express train. Parking is, I think about $9 a day. Can't remember the train cost but if you're old enough there is a senior discount. I actually think the ticket for senior was $10 round trip. Park is right on the Hudson River, gravel roads and sites, but level. Rate is $50 a night or $240 a week. You have to call the park directly to make reservations. Nothing fancy but if you're going to be gone in the city all day, who cares. I was able to get all the local tv chanels with my RV antena. The park is large and plenty of room to walk. We'll be there about the last 2 weeks in May. If you decide to stay there maybe we can connect.

Good luck,
Rodney
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #6

1Texan-

That was going to be my next suggestion, Croton Point, but I haven't been there yet and was hesitant to bring it up. I have a reservation there for last weekend in April to check it out... it falls off the radar because it is a Westchester County Park rather than a state park.

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #7

Central Park? LOL
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Need info on nice rv parks outside NYC but near bus or Metro/transportation for day trips into NYC, 911 Memorial,, Broadway, Times Square etc. Thank you.
Wnaderer
We stayed here several years ago and it was nothing to brag about. Like the reviews state, it is a parking lot. The best thing going for this place is the location. To catch the subway into NYC, you are not walking in the best part of town, we got back to the camper before dark. The camping fee is expensive for what it is, but it is basically the only game in town.
Ken Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

I would look for an RV Park in Westchester County. Easy train ride in and several nice cities around.
MJAlbuquerqueRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #10

There is also a large RV park in Florida, NY, just off Rte 17. It has full , amenities, very wooded and private. They run shuttles daily into the city for guests so you can leave the TV at the site. I believe it's the closest true RV park to the city.
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
ttg

We stayed in April at New York City / Newburgh KOA which is located in Plattekill, NY.
They have cable TV and internet.
The people at the park were very friendly and helpful with train schedules and directions into Manhatten. There is a large parking lot at the train station. The train fare is very inexpensive.
Just a tip about sight seeing in Manhatten. We were duped by the lady selling double decker bus tours in the city. She had a price for "Red" bus tickets and a cheaper price for the identical tour "Green" buses. You can get on and off at will with your colour bus. Don't ever waste your money on "Green" buses in NYC. There are so few "Green" buses with none going by our stop for over an hour that I tried to buy a ticket from the "Red" bus but he doesn't sell tickets. The "Red" bus driver offered to let us ride for free so that we wouldn't be stranded.
ttg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #12

Here is what we did a few years ago. We camped in the pocanos area of Pennsylvania. We took a day trip into the city. If you take the Lincoln tunnel in you will be able to take the ramps into the parking building at the 42nd street port authority bus terminal. We parked our 1/2 ton f150 on the roof. No city street driving and you can exit the port authority building and be in the middle of the city. We walked for hours and then bought tickets on one of the tour buses which took us down to battlefield park. Took the boats to the islands and the Statue of Liberty. A bus ride back to the terminal. Picked up our truck and drove back to the trailer.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #13

More info on the parking.

Services - Port Authority Bus Terminal - The Port Authority of NY & NJ
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #14

Camping in New York

Stayed at Liberty Harbour. Perfect for visiting New York
5 min walk from PATH train direct to Manhatten and all metro connections. About 20 min ride ride. Not cheap RV park though but worth it.
tonytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Texan View Post
I would suggest you stay at Croton on the Hudson in Croton, NY. We stayed there 2 years ago and will be there again this May for 2 weeks. It is north of NYC and about 1 mile from the train station. It's about a 40 minute ride into Grand Central and from there you have subway access all over. Be sure to take the express train. Parking is, I think about $9 a day. Can't remember the train cost but if you're old enough there is a senior discount. I actually think the ticket for senior was $10 round trip. Park is right on the Hudson River, gravel roads and sites, but level. Rate is $50 a night or $240 a week. You have to call the park directly to make reservations. Nothing fancy but if you're going to be gone in the city all day, who cares. I was able to get all the local tv chanels with my RV antena. The park is large and plenty of room to walk. We'll be there about the last 2 weeks in May. If you decide to stay there maybe we can connect.

Good luck,
Rodney

Croton Point Park

The Metro North Croton Harmon train station is, as mentioned, only about a mile away.

Stayed there a few years ago. Only grass sites w/full hookups (no cable).

Have a nice trip.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:55 PM   #16

Newburgh is quite a distance from NYC, stick to Westchester County if you can.
MJAlbuquerqueRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #17

New York where to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Wnaderer
Thanks all for info, we have previously visited Liberty Island/Statue of Liberty so this time the emphasis will be on NYC center as the DW wishes to see Broadway, Times Square and 911 memorial.
So thanks again, any additional suggestions much appreciated.

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #18

I agree Croton Point. I've had friends stay there, so I can't speak personal experience. Convenient location, maybe a little busy and or crowded with boaters, not sure but I ve been there as a boater. Another location is Clarence Fahnstalk State Park on rt 301 in Cold Spring. Camping is only about 15 minute cab ride on rt 301 direct to Cold Spring Metro North Train Station. Just another thought. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Poper
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #19

I've told this story before, but here's my Liberty Harbor RV Park story again. It was written in response to a question about good and bad campgrounds:

"The one memorable exception was when we made the unfortunate decision to stay at a "campground" in Jersey City, NJ the summer of 2011 (3 months before the Towers came down). It's the only campground close to NYC and we wanted to do the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tours. The campground is across the Hudson River from Manhattan, just across the Morris Canal north of Liberty State Park (easily seen on Google satellite). It's really just a corner of a very large parking lot where people park and take water taxis over to Manhattan and they store boats in the winter. Out on the "point" by the river is a bar/dance hall. Unfortunately, we were there during the weekend of Puerto Rico day, with 5 million Puerto Rican's in NYC for the parade. That night the bar was going with the music at major decibels until 4am. When the music stopped and the bar closed is when the fights in the parking lot began, with GUNFIRE, police, etc. Here we were in a canvas sided trailer with people shooting 100 yds away. Pretty scary!! Fortunately, there were 4 or 5 Class A's between us and them. I'd never go back there again,"

All that being said, you don't have a lot of choices close to NYC.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #20

We stayed at Liberty Harbor in 2011 and again in 2013 and would do it again. Yes, it's expensive and it's a big parking lot, but it is so very convenient. We would leave the RV park and be in Times Square within 30 minutes. You can't get much better than that.

You are a quick 3 block walk from the PATH station in Jersey City and that takes you directly to Times Square (33rd St.) or the World Trade Center. You can catch the subway from inside the Times Square station or walk a couple of blocks from the WTC station.

This eliminates all driving unless you want to get out and drive someplace to eat and then a taxi is pretty easy.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote